Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Israel Warns It Will Stop Gaza Flotilla

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:22 PM
  • 26 Replies

Israel Warns It Will Stop Gaza Flotilla

by The Associated Press

text size A A A
May 26, 2010

Israel's navy will stop a flotilla heading for Gaza with 10,000 tons of supplies and pro-Palestinian activists intent on breaking a blockade of Gaza, officials said Wednesday, in the first definitive Israeli pledge to stop the boats.

The officials said if the flotilla of eight ships does not turn back, the boats will be hauled to an Israeli port, the activists sent back to their countries and the supplies transferred to Gaza by land.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity in accordance with military rules.

The flotilla is expected to approach Gaza over the weekend.

Organizers say they are hauling supplies including building materials that are not allowed into the territory because of the blockade.

Israel and Egypt cordoned off the territory three years ago after the Islamic militant group Hamas overran the territory. Despite the blockade, Israel allows in what it classifies as "humanitarian supplies" and claims there is no crisis or shortages in Gaza. Israel charges the flotilla is a propaganda exercise.

After letting a few boats reach Gaza, the Israelis have intercepted several in the past year, following the procedure the officials outlined in their plans for the current attempt.

The officials indicated they were aware of the potential public relations fiasco that would follow a violent confrontation on the high seas between heavily armed Israeli sailors and civilian activists, saying the navy commander instructed his forces to "operate with the utmost sensitivity and not be drawn into needless provocations."

They said the boat crews would be warned several times as they approach Gaza, but Israeli forces would board them and take control if necessary.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 5:28 PM

Those supplies won't reach the Palestinians. I think there will be quite a few deaths over this. The israelis are brutal and we won't even be able to trust what the MSM tells us happened after it happens. I'll be looking to other sources to find the truth.

Mrs. Khan

muslimah
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:34 PM

First of all this statement here is BULL SHIT the israeli have said they will be imprisoning the humanitarians. And then (because they do it every time) the israelis will put the goods in a warehouse to rot until they expire and they will then distribute some of it as they see fit.

The officials said if the flotilla of eight ships does not turn back, the boats will be hauled to an Israeli port, the activists sent back to their countries and the supplies transferred to Gaza by land.

Claims their is no shortage... I have seen pictures  (recent ones) of people literally living in their own shit because of faulty plumbing because israel wont let the supplies through to fix the problem. People don't have clean drinking water and are eating expired food because israel holds it for so long before deciding to let it be released after it is donated and even at that they still don't have enough to eat and have to ration their food.

And they wouldn't have to worry about Palestinians needing building supplies if israel hadn't demolished all their homes in way to make room for new Jewish settlement.

This is the latest from Gaza:

http://www.uruknet.info/?p=m66354&hd=&size=1&l=e

Progress and news will also be regularly updated on our website:  http://www.freegaza.org/

MommaLysa
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:10 PM

"Israel and Egypt cordoned off the territory three years ago after the Islamic militant group Hamas overran the territory."

I thought Hamas won elections there? 

Seems like a blockade is an effective way to make people miserable so that they vote the way Israel and the US like. 

tericared
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Quoting MommaLysa:

"Israel and Egypt cordoned off the territory three years ago after the Islamic militant group Hamas overran the territory."

I thought Hamas won elections there? 

Seems like a blockade is an effective way to make people miserable so that they vote the way Israel and the US like. 

They did win the election....

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 10:39 PM

I saw a video clip where there were tunnels for minimal supplies to get in. I really do not know the issues as it is not reported on our news here. There is great human suffering there. Unemployment and lack of basic human needs. I wonder if we will see this on the news here? I really really hope the people on the boats are not imprisoned. With so many boats, and so many people how can this be hidden? 

muslimah
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

I saw a video clip where there were tunnels for minimal supplies to get in. I really do not know the issues as it is not reported on our news here. There is great human suffering there. Unemployment and lack of basic human needs. I wonder if we will see this on the news here? I really really hope the people on the boats are not imprisoned. With so many boats, and so many people how can this be hidden? 

Meanwhile the Israelis have announced several measures to counter the Gaza Freedom Flotilla. Apparently half of the Israeli navy has been placed on full alert to confront and stop our peaceful mission to take humanitarian aid to Gaza. Reports also claim that the Israelis have "set aside 700 places" in their prisons, which is a thinly-veiled threat to arrest all of those taking part in the flotilla. They used to call that sort of thing piracy.
http://www.uruknet.info/?p=m66354&hd=&size=1&l=e

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 10:52 PM

The key is information, and you are just not going to be informed on American television. If more people knew I think this funding of a country would stop. If 700 people go to jail, surely American TV would cover it when the relatives on the six o'clock news beg for their relatives to be released. Heck all they did was bring food, medical, diapers, building supplies ect,ect. Has a flotilla this large been attempted before?  Or an aid mission been this big?

muslimah
by on May. 26, 2010 at 11:16 PM

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

The key is information, and you are just not going to be informed on American television. If more people knew I think this funding of a country would stop. If 700 people go to jail, surely American TV would cover it when the relatives on the six o'clock news beg for their relatives to be released. Heck all they did was bring food, medical, diapers, building supplies ect,ect. Has a flotilla this large been attempted before?  Or an aid mission been this big?

Yes last year and it was the same thing as now israel and Egypt working together to block the aid from getting through. I forget all the details but in the end they did end up letting I think something like only 15 of the humanitarian workers in with some supplies but there was much rioting and protesting in Egypt over it because it because of how Egypt continues to kiss israels ass in order to keed all the U.S. aid coming.

I think it was call Gaza Freedom Vogage or something to that effect and their were 2 ships can't remeber for sure.

This was the only article that I was able to dig up on it as I am too tired to go through all my old post right now.

We must not forget who has closed off the Gaza Strip to the rest of humanity. We must not forget who is responsible for the deaths of close to 1500 innocent people, including 450 children. We must not forget that these crimes have been documented and condemned by the United Nations General Assembly.

Anger is now directed at the Egyptian authorities for the situation, but it is Israel that is behind it all. Obama has remained silent on the issue, as has most of the commercial media in the United States, another indication that what I say is true.
As in the case of ‘Operation Cast Lead’, the truth will eventually come out and hopefully will lead to still another charge against Israel in an upcoming trial in the Hague..

The following is taken from THISReuters Report that appeared in HaAretz today…..

Gaza aid convoy led by British MP Galloway clashes with Egypt police

Egyptian security forces clashed on Wednesday with members of a convoy led by left-wing British politician George Galloway trying to take relief supplies to Palestinians in the Gaza strip.

A Reuters correspondent in the port city of Arish, 40 km (25 miles) from Egypt’s border with Gaza, saw security forces throwing stones at about 520 people traveling with the convoy.

The protestors were holding four members of the Arish harbor police while security forces detained seven members of the convoy, who have been locked in a dispute with Egyptian authorities over the route of the 198 trucks.

Police used water cannon to force the protestors to leave Arish harbor, which they had occupied, a security source said. Around 40 members of the convoy had minor injuries while around 15 police officials were hurt, witnesses said.

Cairo insists the food and other supplies should go to Gaza via an Israeli-controlled checkpoint while the convoy’s leaders want to use the Egyptian-controlled Rafah border crossing.
SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on May. 27, 2010 at 12:03 AM

I have not watched BBC news lately but they do show things that American television does not. Wonder if they will show this. 

cowgirlsr2
by Silver Member on May. 27, 2010 at 12:07 AM

It seems to me if 2 countries have to cut the borders of because of a terrorist group such as the Hamas someone might understand .But I just keep seeing open boarders and let them in so I guess either the deaths of many jewish people and or mispacement is of no consequence because only the Palestinians are important.The Palestinians allowed this terrorist group to grow but can't understand why Isreali's won't take down there walls.Maybe because they like living.And with all the dirty tricks that the Hamas have done why should they trust them?I can understand there reluctance to let strangers to just come on in. And for some to say they will just imprison all I think is BS. They know people are watching and they are not as cruel as some make them out to be.

Hamas (حماس Ḥamās, an acronym of حركة المقاومة الاسلامية Ḥarakat al-Muqāwamat al-Islāmiyyah, meaning "Islamic Resistance Movement") is a Palestinian Islamic organization with a socio-political wing[5][6] and a paramilitary force, the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades.[2][3] Since June 2007, after winning a large majority in the Palestinian Parliament and defeating rival Palestinian party Fatah in a series of violent clashes, Hamas has governed the Gaza portion of the Palestinian Territories. The governments of Canada,[7] the European Union,[8][9][10] Israel,[11] Japan,[12] and the United States[13] classify Hamas as a terrorist organization. The United Kingdom[14] and Australia[15] classify only Hamas' independent military wing, the Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Brigades, as a terrorist organization.

Hamas was created in 1987 by Sheikh Ahmed Yassin, Abdel Aziz al-Rantissi and Mohammad Taha of the Palestinian wing of Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood at the beginning of the First Intifada, an uprising against Israeli rule in the Palestinian Territories. Hamas launched numerous suicide bombings against Israelis, the first of them in April, 1993.[16] Hamas ceased the attacks in 2005 and renounced them in April, 2006.[17] Hamas has also been responsible for rocket attacks since 2001, improvised explosive device attacks, and shootings, but it reduced those operations in 2005 and 2006.[18]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamas

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)