Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Pageant Parents.

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM
  • 18 Replies

I was folding laundry and flipping through channels, and saw Toddlers and Tiara's, does anyone else find this show incredibly disturbing?

I don't understand why any parent would want to exploit their children like this.......I am sure there are some pagent mama's around here, explain WHY  parents would want to put their child on display like that?

by on May. 26, 2010 at 5:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 5:59 PM

I'm with you on this. I think it's disgusting. I watched one episode and never watched it again. In the one I saw, this little girl (couldn't have been older than 3 or 4) had to sit through over 4 hours of pedicures, manicures, hair styling, makeup, etc. Her parents said she likes it. Yeah, I'm sure. It makes me sick to my stomach. A cute kid contest, sure. But this is going way too far. It's hard enough to be a child in this country where we can't even really let our kids be kids because of pedophiles, at least give the kids some chance at a normal childhood.

Mrs. Khan

BleedinHeartMom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:07 PM

I think a lot of them moms are completely unhappy with their self and living through their daughters..the money they spend alone is ridiculous..it'd be nice if they would interview the father and see what he has to say

Kaelansmom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:30 PM

I have to agree... I watched that show once and got sooo mad...

Quoting mrs_khan07:

I'm with you on this. I think it's disgusting. I watched one episode and never watched it again. In the one I saw, this little girl (couldn't have been older than 3 or 4) had to sit through over 4 hours of pedicures, manicures, hair styling, makeup, etc. Her parents said she likes it. Yeah, I'm sure. It makes me sick to my stomach. A cute kid contest, sure. But this is going way too far. It's hard enough to be a child in this country where we can't even really let our kids be kids because of pedophiles, at least give the kids some chance at a normal childhood.

bikerchickmommy
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:13 PM

i did watch one show one time where they did ask the dad what he thought about it (it was like one of his first times attended it with the mom and daughter) and he was like "whatever" it like he didn't give a crap. i can't stand though shows either.

one of my friends and i were talking about this one time and said if we could come up with the money and all that stuff, we would make a pageant where NO makeup, and NO glizty clothes were allowed. nothing but their personality.

catamaran1234
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:32 PM

I am not sure what the criteria is for these pageants. It does appear that a lot of money and time is being spent for some nothing in return.

My daughter dances with a competitive dance company and people ask me if it is anything like pageants or the nonsense that we saw recently to the Beyonce Single Ladies.

At least in dance most of them are learning life skills (time management, working together as a team, winning with grace and losing with dignity. ) this in addition to the dance itself.

The pageant moms on these shows seem to be coached to be as psychotic as they are. I just don't really see the talent aside from great spray tans and the booty shake.

I also have a HUGE issue with little girls made to look much older beyond their years. I find that troubling.

Malapertinent
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Never gave any of it much thought until the whole Jonbenet Ramsey ordeal.  I think it sends a terrible message, but to each his own.  NONE for my own.

I have to say, however, Little Miss Sunshine was a FANTASTIC movie!

catamaran1234
by Silver Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:45 PM

Quoting Malapertinent:

Never gave any of it much thought until the whole Jonbenet Ramsey ordeal.  I think it sends a terrible message, but to each his own.  NONE for my own.

Love that movie

mamajeh
by Member on May. 26, 2010 at 8:48 PM

what about those who are pro pagent?  No one is going to defend their actions??

Malapertinent
by on May. 26, 2010 at 10:14 PM

Quoting catamaran1234:

Quoting Malapertinent:

Love that movie

I'm partial...my 10 y/o's name is Olive...lol

Appeasers believe that
if you keep on throwing steaks to a tiger, the tiger will become a
vegetarian

DangerDarling
by Fabulous on May. 26, 2010 at 10:25 PM

I love that show and I also love Little Miss Perfect (which is basically the same show, except they only follow one pageant instead of several). I like trashy television, though.

I can see the good in pageants. It might teach a child to lose or win with grace, to hold herself with poise and (if she sticks with it long enough and keeps winning) MIGHT lead to a scholarship pageant like Miss America. I could see how it would be fun for a girl who likes to dress up and be on stage. Goodness knows there are kids out there who are total hams and eat that kind of attention up.

All that said, I think it's a lot ridiculous to spray tan a baby. I certainly don't care if my kids play with makeup, but to put more makeup on a baby than I would wear on a date is crazy! The little moves they make (pretty feet, booty shaking, sassy walks, the way they "flirt" with the judges) are horrible. Some of these girls are going to get the idea from an early age that doing those things makes people like you. Some of the parents are clearly only in it for themselves, which I guess you get in any extra-curricular activity, but it just seems more grotesque with pageants. Plus, the glitz pageants cost (often) thousands of dollars with not much return.

ETA: I have no intention of letting my kids participate in pageants like these.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)