• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Senatorial priorities: Let’s ban the word “retarded”

Posted by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:04 PM
  • 10 Replies

From The Hill:

The Senate Health, Education, Labor and Pensions Committee on Wednesday unanimously approved a bill that would eliminate the use of the words “retarded” and “retardation” in federal health, education and labor law.

Rosa’s Law, introduced by Sen. Barbara Mikulski (D-Md.), had strong bipartisan support.

It would replace the terms “mental retardation” with “intellectual disability” and “mentally retarded individual” to “individual with an intellectual disability.”

Let’s shoot straight here: I loathe political correctness. With every fiber of my being. Here’s definition of mental retardation:

Main Entry: mental retardation
: subaverage intellectual ability equivalent to or less than an IQ of 70 that is accompanied by significant deficits in abilities (as in communicationor self-care) necessary for independent daily functioning, is present from birth or infancy, and is manifested especially by delayed or abnormal development, by learning difficulties, and by problems in social adjustment

— mentally retarded adjective

Washington has a habit of pretending that words don’t actually mean what they mean. Is this a pointless law? Yes.

However, I would let it slide if the Senate didn’t have important things going on. Like, oh, millions of gallons of oil gushing into the Gulf, for example.

But then Washington also has a habit of ignoring their priorities.

by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on May. 26, 2010 at 6:16 PM

I'm all for it.  The world doesn't stop turning because of the oil spill.  What exactly does she think the men and women of Congress are supposed to do, vote the pipeline to stop gushing?

BleedinHeartMom
by on May. 26, 2010 at 6:19 PM

If only it was that simple  lol

and I use the word RetarTed

Mom2LiamNMolly
by Member on May. 26, 2010 at 6:25 PM

I am all for the change that is being recommended... having a developmentally delayed child myself, although her disabilities are mostly physical and she is now at 90% of "normal"... however, having now gotten involved with an organization for children with ALL types of disabilities, I have come to abhor the word "retarded".

I agree with the PP... there is nothing the Senate can do at this point over the oil spill... except blow a bunch of smoke, huff and puff, and try and win votes for the mid-terms. The stopping of the leak and the subsequent clean-up must be handled by experts, not a bunch of blowhards. And any action taken against BP should be purely criminal and civil and the government should be left out of it (except for the Federal Prosecuter of course) UNLESS an portion of the government oversight of the oil drilling in the gulf AND specifically those who worked with BP on this rig are found to be negeligent... then they should be prosecuted as well!

stay-at-home.jpg

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 6:53 PM

I knew this was coming. People use a slang word that starts with R and it is amazing that they defend it. I have one child with cognitive delay, or intellectual disability. His has exceptional social ability, loving child, a real HAM. Everyone loves him. The oil spill is important but people have been working on this bill longer than the oil spill and I am glad it passed.

cjsbmom
by Lois Lane on May. 26, 2010 at 7:22 PM

Quoting Mom2LiamNMolly:

I am all for the change that is being recommended... having a developmentally delayed child myself, although her disabilities are mostly physical and she is now at 90% of "normal"... however, having now gotten involved with an organization for children with ALL types of disabilities, I have come to abhor the word "retarded".

I agree with the PP... there is nothing the Senate can do at this point over the oil spill... except blow a bunch of smoke, huff and puff, and try and win votes for the mid-terms. The stopping of the leak and the subsequent clean-up must be handled by experts, not a bunch of blowhards. And any action taken against BP should be purely criminal and civil and the government should be left out of it (except for the Federal Prosecuter of course) UNLESS an portion of the government oversight of the oil drilling in the gulf AND specifically those who worked with BP on this rig are found to be negeligent... then they should be prosecuted as well!

I think until you have a child with a disability, you just don't stop to think what kind of impact this word has on people. I also have a child with a disability, and it makes me very angry to hear people using this word in a way that is not intended. Even in the clinical definition, I just don't like it.

DixieFlower
by on May. 26, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I work in the DD field and I think it's about time. I know on a local level the department that funds agencies like mine was called DMRS. In January they were renamed to DIDS to remove the MR from their name.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:30 PM

I do and will continue to use the word retard(ed).....because I use it in its appropriate sense. And usually referring to one of my dogs. I believe the previous owners did not build up his potential, thereby retarding his natural instinct and growth. 

1Giovanni
by Becca on May. 26, 2010 at 7:31 PM

I was wondering what the differenct between retarded and special needs? What I mean anyone can use a word that is taken out of context and use it against others in the wrong way. Don't get me wrong, I don't like the word retarded towards someone in a mean way. The thing is I have heard kids use the word "Special Needs" In a bad way also.

My son is Special Needs and he hates being called that. He gets really mad, Says "Me not Special. Me like me friends." I can see my son when he older saying that special needs need to be banned. lol. Where do we stop.

cagnew80
by Bronze Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:39 PM

I do not think they have the right to ban the word. It blows my mind that anyone thinks they should. I wish people would think beyond the issue at hand... think on a deeper level. Today it's the word retarded... tomorrow its the word anarchy or God or Christ or Christmas or... you get the point. I realize it is only to apply for the specific instances listed, but it's a slippery slope.

And I do happen to have a daughter that would be called "retarded" by crude and classless people, so don't start telling me that I have "no idea what it's like." My child is my child. I do not define her by any word, medical or slang. Changing the terminolgy doesn't change who she is or the struggles she has- it doesn't make it better and it doesn't make it worse.

People need to grow a freaking spine and stop running to the government to take care of everything. Good grief.

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on May. 26, 2010 at 7:47 PM

Nope I stand by what I said. There is slang now, the slang reta_d is in our culture, and used badly. I am glad the word the word is being changed. However there is a great organization that educates, and champions rights, and it is ARC. This stands for Association of Retarded Citizens.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)