Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OBAMA.......LEAVE THE AIRLINES ALONE ALREADY!

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM
  • 69 Replies

Airlines Should Pay Bumped Passengers More, White House Says

Published June 02, 2010 

| FOXNews.com

Reuters

May 3: A Continental jet departs Terminal C at Newark Liberty International Airport in Newark, New Jersey.

The Obama administration on Wednesday proposed sweeping changes to protect U.S. air travelers, including raising the amount airlines have to compensate passengers bumped from full flights to as much as $1,300.

Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood unveiled a number of proposals for new consumer protections, including a change that would give passengers 24 hours to cancel reservations without penalty. Currently, a fee is customarily charged for any booked flight.

"Airline passengers have rights and should be able to expect fair and reasonable treatment when they fly," LaHood said during a press conference Wednesday. "With this rulemaking, we're proposing to strengthen the consumer protections enacted last month and raise the bar for airlines when it comes to treating passengers fairly."

Among the proposed changes include increased compensation for passengers involuntarily bumped from flights. Current bumping fees range from $400 to $800. 

The new rule would also require airlines to fully and prominently disclose baggage fees, prohibit price increases after a ticket is purchased, and give passengers timely notice of flight status changes. 

The proposal extends to foreign airlines a three-hour limit on the time airlines can keep passengers waiting on airport tarmacs. Existing rules already limit the delays by domestic carriers.

The Department of Transportation must solicit comment on rules for 60 days, but barring changes, the proposals become final in six months. 

The Associated Press contributed to this report 

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Arroree
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:38 AM

It all seems like common sense to me. Are you saying that passengers shouldnt be compensated for being bumped from a neccessary flight? For many travelers that adds extra costs for food, hotel stay and way more time in and out of the airport. Do you think the airlines should be allowed to add extra charges or change the price of the tickets after a person has already paid??

Its a bit ridiculous to try to act as though this is a bad thing.

Oh and FYI its not Obama himself doing anything to the airlines, at most someone asked his opinion on it, not everything done in the government is done by Obama.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:38 AM

These are bad why?

tornados4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:46 AM

I am just saying, that, the government should stay out of it.  It's  as if, he has to have his hand in all private industries.  Banks, Car companies, oil industry, and now the airlines?  I am not saying it is right that these things happen to passengers, I am saying washington needs to stay out of it.

Quoting Arroree:

It all seems like common sense to me. Are you saying that passengers shouldnt be compensated for being bumped from a neccessary flight? For many travelers that adds extra costs for food, hotel stay and way more time in and out of the airport. Do you think the airlines should be allowed to add extra charges or change the price of the tickets after a person has already paid??

Oh and FYI its not Obama himself doing anything to the airlines, at most someone asked his opinion on it, not everything done in the government is done by Obama.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Quoting tornados4:

I am just saying, that, the government should stay out of it.  It's  as if, he has to have his hand in all private industries.  Banks, Car companies, oil industry, and now the airlines?  I am not saying it is right that these things happen to passengers, I am saying washington needs to stay out of it.

Quoting Arroree:

He?  I think you are WAY over-simplifying.  Is there a reason this article comes from Fox News...

tornados4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:50 AM

well, is't "he" the president?  Doesn't everything have to be run by him first?  He does play a role in this.

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting tornados4:

Quoting Arroree:

He?  I think you are WAY over-simplifying.  Is there a reason this article comes from Fox News...

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:57 AM

Quoting tornados4:

well, is't "he" the president?  Doesn't everything have to be run by him first?  He does play a role in this.

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting tornados4:

Quoting Arroree:

I'm just going back to WAY over-simplifying and I'll leave it at that.

catamaran1234
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:18 AM

I think "the Obama administration" as the article reads should worry less about how private airlines are making or losing money at the moment and concentrate more on say.....the oil slick that is destined to ruin the Southern coast. IMHO

katy_kay
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:22 AM

Really?  You have a problem with consumer protections?  I personally am I bit tired of the airline acting like they are doing their customers a favor by flying in our air space. 

katy_kay
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:25 AM

I posted an article last night on this...I'm going to share it here because it does a better job of detailing the changes. 

Aubrey Cohen - Aerospace Report

Airlines would have to pay bumped passengers more and allow reservation cancellations without penalty within 24 hours of flights, under new consumer protections that the U.S. Department of Transportation proposed Wednesday.

The compensation provision would raise the top payouts for passengers involuntarily bumped from overbooked flights from $400 or $800, depending on the length of delay, to $650 or $1,300 and then adjust the amounts for inflation over two years. The new limits are a bit different from what The Associated Press reported Monday.

The rule also would:

• Require full and prominently displayed disclosure of baggage fees as well as refunds and expense reimbursement when bags are not delivered on time;
  • Require fair-price advertising;
  • Ban price increases after a ticket is purchased;
  • Require timely notice of flight-status changes.
  • Require special notice of baggage fee increases and notification when passengers buy tickets whether they must pay to check up to two bags.

"Airline passengers have rights and should be able to expect fair and reasonable treatment when they fly," Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood said in a news release. "With this rulemaking, we're proposing to strengthen the consumer protections enacted last month and raise the bar for airlines when it comes to treating passengers fairly."

A rule that took effect in May limits tarmac delays to three hours and requires U.S. airlines to have contingency plans for long delays at large- and medium-hub airports and publish these plans on their websites. The new proposal would expand the plan requirements to foreign airlines operating in the country and to small- and non-hub airports.

The new plan also would require reporting of delay data from all airlines operating aircraft with at least 30 seats. The DOT now collects this information only for the domestic scheduled flights of the 18 largest U.S. airlines.

The DOT also asked for comment on several alternative possibilities for facilitating air travel for people with severe peanut allergies:

• Banning airlines from serving peanuts and all peanut products on flights covered by the DOT's disability rule;
  • Banning the serving of peanuts and peanut products on all such flights where a passenger with a peanut allergy has requested a peanut-free flight in advance;
  • Requiring a peanut-free buffer zone around a passenger with a medically-documented severe allergy to peanuts if passenger has requested a peanut-free flight in advance;
  • Maintaining the current practice of allowing carriers to serve peanuts without restriction.

The Air Transport Association of America, which represents U.S. airlines, responded cautiously to the proposal.

"The ATA member airlines' shared goal is to provide a safe, efficient, reliable and economically viable air transportation system consistent with the expectations of their customers, employees and shareholders," association President and CEO James May said in a news release. "Today's DOT notice of proposed rulemaking will be evaluated against that standard, with a focus on minimizing potential passenger inconvenience."

People may comment within 60 days through the link above. To support President Barack Obama's open government initiative, the DOT has partnered with the Cornell eRulemaking Initiative in a pilot Web-based, discussion-format project, Regulation Room

catamaran1234
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I have a problem with the govt. interfering with almost every aspect of my life.

If you don't like the rules of the airline then don't fly. If you don't like that a restaurant uses salt then don't go there. Why does everything have to be so regulated???

How many times do you get bumped from a flight? most of the times they overbook because those with refundable tickets choose not to fly. It is a risk. To prevent from getting bumped I take responsibility and arrive early and check in. I fly quite a but and have NEVER been bumped.

Again, I think the administration has more important things to worry about at the moment.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)