Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Headline Grabber John Mark Karr in News Again

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:58 AM
  • 0 Replies

Headline Grabber John Mark Karr in News Again

Updated: 8 hours 6 minutes ago
Print Text Size
David Lohr

David Lohr Contributor

AOL News
(June 2) -- The bizarre story of John Mark Karr, who once claimed to have murdered 6-year-old child beauty queen JonBenet Ramsey, has turned even stranger. A woman who says she is Karr's ex-fiancee went on national TV today to claim he is living as a woman and is trying to recruit little girls for a kiddie sex cult.

"His mission is to create a cult that he wants to call 'The Immaculates,' of little girls that would have sexual relationships with him and do whatever he wanted and just, like, be his little minions," Samantha Spiegel told NBC's "Today."

Spiegel, 19, says she first met Karr when she was 9 and he was working as a teacher's aide at a California school. In 2006, when Karr made headlines around the world following his bizarre false confession in the Ramsey case, she said, she reached out to him, saying that they started a relationship.

"I was just thinking that he was misunderstood, that he was a victim of his childhood, of his family, of everybody, and that he needed to be saved in some sort of way," Spiegel explained.

Spiegel also alleges that Karr, 46, is pursuing gender reassignment surgery so he can get closer to little girls.

Last week, after Spiegel produced e-mails revealing death threats that she had allegedly received from Karr after refusing to help him with his supposed cult, a California judge issued a temporary restraining order against him. One of the alleged e-mails reads, "If you deceive me, I will kill you. I know where you live."

Karr, aka Alexis Valoran Reich, aka Delia Alexis Reich, has more aliases than a CIA operative, which may be why authorities have been unable to locate him for questioning.

Given Karr's past antics, it should come as no surprise that experts find these most recent allegations questionable, at best.

"I was laughing when I was listening to it this morning. It's ridiculous," retired FBI Supervisory Special Agent Mark Safarik told AOL News.

Safarik and his partner, retired FBI agent Robert Ressler, are the founders of Forensic Behavioral Services International, a 16-year-old company that provides expert opinion and analysis to law enforcement agencies, attorneys, Fortune 500 companies and foreign entities.

"I don't know what [Spiegel's] motivation is, but it's just a silly story," Safarik said. "You're talking about recruiting -- I mean the term 'recruiting' really indicates that you have to convince people. Nobody's going to let their child get involved with someone like Karr. When you talk about little girls, there's no recruiting. You have to abduct them, and there are no people that do this -- that are abducting multiple little girls. You have certainly stranger abductors, but those are very rare."

Safarik said that, if anything, Karr's alleged kiddie cult aspirations are born out of fantasy and will never become a reality. He also said he believes there are underlying motives at play.

"He got the attention he is looking for now with this girlfriend -- which is wild," Safarik said. "Whatever relationship she is to him is just a story -- a fantastical story, and the media loves that sort of thing. It's just a publicity grab, as far as I'm concerned ... an absurd story and another big joke."

Pat Brown, a criminal profiler and founder of, agrees with Safarik but says she tends to believe Spiegel's story "up to a point."

"John Mark Karr is a charismatic man in a sick creep sort of way, and he can get groupies much like Scott Peterson, Ted Bundy and Charles Manson," Brown says. "Karr did not seek out Spiegel; she contacted him after he 'confessed' to killing JonBenet. She wasn't interested in him when he was a nobody but only after he became a media somebody.

"But if she is telling the truth, why is she now turning on Karr? She claims it is because she came to realize he was a sick man during her stint in rehab and she realizes she, too, was a victim of his, that he had control of her mind and she couldn't help doing his dirty work for him."

According to "Today," Spiegel said she is speaking out to "help other potential victims."

Regardless of the reasons behind the allegations, one question remains: Is John Mark Karr dangerous?

"Anybody has the potential certainly to be dangerous to children, if there's at least some sort of at least fantasy history, and he's certainly demonstrated he has the ability to be arrested," Safarik said.

So, while authorities continue to hunt for the ever elusive Karr, Safarik offers this bit of advice:

"There are a lot of real serious cases out there that should be focused on, and not someone like John Mark Karr."

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong, because sometime in life you will have been one or all of these. George Washington Carver

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
There are no replies to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)