Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

For those of you who have a facebook account...

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:18 AM
  • 35 Replies

I created a group called "Take the "sleeze" out of young girls and tweens clothing"

I have created this group in hopes that I will get quite a large number of members who support the cause. When the number gets large enough I am going to compose a letter to send to manufacturers and retailers and I am going to add the web address of the group.

I want to show these manafacturers that there are many parents out there who would love to see modesty in young girls clothing make a come back.

I started this group after a day out shopping with my daughter (12). We were looking for shorts. This turned into quite an adventure for us. We went to a number of stores and left empty handed. I could have walked out with a ton of shorts, if I wanted them to expose my daughters butt cheeks. Not only do I see this with shorts, but jeans, extremely low cut tops, bathing suits and heck they even sell thongs for these young girls.

IMO, it is getting to be too much. Enough is enough already. I realize some people may think this will fall upon "deaf ears". However I figured I would rather do something about it other than complain.

So ladies if you agree with me and have a face book account. Please join the group and spread the word to your friends and family.

There is power in numbers!

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:04 AM

I agree.  We dress our teen girls modestly and decent clothes are hard to find. 

chrlstoncharmed
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Thank you! This has also been an issue for me. I've found that most girls tops are cut very slim and fit in a very body-hugging way. My girls want to be stylish, but they are on the pudgy side, so I won't have them wearing shirts that cling to their bellies. They need more of an A-line type of top and it's hard to find styles like that.

Now we are on a quest to find age appropriate swimwear for my 11 year old. She loves the idea of the sporty swim shorts (which is great IMO) but I'm finding that the coordinating tops are teeny-tiny bikini halters ... which she can't wear! Ai Yi Yi! So I dunno ... I just wish it were easier.

Wyldbutterfly
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:37 AM

Thank you ladies. I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Wyldbutterfly
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:28 AM

BUMP!

morningdove831
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:37 AM

I totally share your sentiments and will check it out when I get home (can't get on FB at work). 

Wyldbutterfly
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:39 AM

Quoting morningdove831:

I totally share your sentiments and will check it out when I get home (can't get on FB at work). 

Thank You!

palexander
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:47 AM

Our dd is 7 and she is a chubby girl so she wears 14/16 and I have noticed a great deal of clothes that find inappropiate. I don't have a problem with tank tops but some are out there.

I have actually bought our dd juniors tops because some are more modest.

S.Harris
by New Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:48 AM

I understand what you're saying and I agree that girls don't always dress age appropriately anymore. I'm only 21 but even when I was 11-15 girls didn't dress the way they do now.

There are a lot of stores that carry decent girls clothes that aren't too revealing and aren't overpriced. Aeropostale and American Eagle are pretty good for clothes (more Aeropostale though, there's always some kind of deal or sale going on).

That being said it's often not just the stores with the problem, certain stores are for certain age groups, if you go into Charlotte Russe with a 12 year old you won't find ANYTHING, because that's not the age group they're trying to appeal to (THIS IS AN EXAMPLE, I'M NOT SAYING THAT YOU TOOK YOUR DAUGHTER INTO THE WRONG STORE).

JC Penny, and Macy's also have a decent selection of girls clothes that are age appropriate.

Good luck!! I'm so glad I have many years before I have that problem, but I can only imagine what they'll be wearing then haha.

xoxo

palexander
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:57 AM

I shared it with friends.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:03 PM

This is definitely something I could get behind. I deplore the way most young girls dress these days. I will check it out and also pass it along to my friends.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)