Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teen suspended from school for wearing rosary

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:00 AM
  • 44 Replies
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momaof8
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:11 AM

I am sooo glad I homeschool the schools lack common sense. They are going to blow district money that could be used to buy educational materials to fight a greiving kid over rosary beads. give me a break

Thomigirl
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:52 AM

Let's see.  The rosary beads were being worn by gang members at the school as part of their 'signs'.  He was suspended (for allegedly violating the school's policy).  Then he was reinstated.  OK???  I'm sure people will turn this into religious persecution...I guarantee it.

Thomigirl
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:53 AM

This was not about 'fighting a greiving kid', it was about the policy to keep gangs out of the schools. READ THE ARTICLE!

Quoting momaof8:

I am sooo glad I homeschool the schools lack common sense. They are going to blow district money that could be used to buy educational materials to fight a greiving kid over rosary beads. give me a break

Thomigirl
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:53 AM

BUMP!

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:21 AM

If you don't want to be linked to group of thugs, then don't dress like one.

Other than that....if he's a Catholic, assuming he is....why else would he even have rosary beads....he's wrong, religiously, for wearing them.  

Joqui
by Joqui on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:02 AM
Can u copy and paste the article on here i cant read it from my phone =(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:20 AM
This was my thought - Catholics don't WEAR rosaries, it is not acceptable practice.

Quoting EireLass:

Other than that....if he's a Catholic, assuming he is....why else would he even have rosary beads....he's wrong, religiously, for wearing them.  

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
.CrazyBeautiful
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:41 AM

Quoting EireLass:

This is what I was going to say. You're not supposed to wear them.

~In fact, everything we encounter in this world with our six senses is an inkblot test. You see what you are thinking and feeling, seldom what you are looking at.~

cagnew80
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:07 AM

As a devout Catholic, I have to say that you do not wear rosary's around your neck. If this was a gang symbol in the school, then the kid should be smart enough not to wear them.

Besides, if he was looking for comfort by the beads, he could have carried them in his pocket.

On another note... it's really sad that a rosary would be a gang symbol. SOmehow I doubt the gang members are praying the rosary....

TTWWBB
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:14 AM

So whatever fashion or accessory item the gangs decide to wear that season the rest of the kids better not wear it.  Give me a freaking break.

I'm sick and tired of these schools dictating what kids can and can't do simply based on what may or may not be the current fad of gang members (wanna-bes in most cases).  My daughter was called in because she was wearing a hairband that some dingbat security guard determined was a bandanna.  The thing was lime green, gold embroidered flowers, silk...and a hairband!  I had to come in from work, meet with two security guards, the police officer assigned to the school and three deans to discuss my daughters hair accessory in a school district that is in an upscale resort town in the mountains of Colorado!  I'm really not thinking the Crips or the Bloods have made the move up here as of yet.

I wear rosary beads that belonged to my grandmother.  Not that I'm very religious...but I was raised Catholic.  I've never heard of some rule against carrying them in this way...which is what I'm doing, not wearing them for some fashion reason.  This kid wants to wear them...even if he was in a gang does the school seriously think by stopping him he's going to leave the gang...or other students aren't going to know what gang he's in?  If they can't do it one way, they'll do it another.  The schools need to stop dealing with the nonsense, petty crap and start dealing with the bigger issues.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)