Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Spin off: Are Catholics Christians?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:20 AM
  • 321 Replies

Would you suggest that they are not as a whole, that some are and some arent or that all are?

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong, because sometime in life you will have been one or all of these. George Washington Carver

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Joqui
by Joqui on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:22 AM
I believe they are... and i would suggest that they are the first true Christians as, if Im not mistaken, the Catholic religion is much older than the protestant (which likes to use the label much more)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:30 AM

My understanding (interpretation?) of the Bible would suggest they are not. I was brought up Catholic, so I'm familiar with the practice. 

chrlstoncharmed
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:40 AM

I would think yes, Catholics are Christian. They believe in one God. They believe Jesus was the son of God, Messiah and savior, and the only means to salvation. Right?

okiemamaCyndi
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:43 AM
I am not Catholic, but YES I would consider them Christians. Maybe not in the Evangelical sense; however, those that believe in Jesus Christ are Christians - right? Cyndi www.cupcakesandcasseroles.com
muslimah
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:49 AM

I hate to hear people say they are not Christians. Just because their have a different worship process that may in every way go against what those who consider themself to be Christians do that does not exclude then from the category of Christian.

I don't agree with their beliefe as I don't agree with the the beliefes of any other sect of Christianity or else I would have embraced it as my religion and been one but that does not change what the technically are.

They embrace the idea that Jesus is the son of God, died on the cross, and rose after 3 days. Number 1 just embracing the idea that Jesus is the son of God technically qualifies them as Christian.

TTWWBB
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:55 AM

It would really depend on who you're asking...but technically, yes they are.  In fact the Catholic church was the first and only Christians for I believe the first 1000 or so years...and from what we've always been told were the keepers of the Holy Bible.

I think the beliefs that Catholics are not Christians come from all the controversy and power trips we've seen over history in the Church. 

morningdove831
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:02 AM

Yes, I consider Catholics to be Christians.  We are Methodist (Protestant) but DS goes to a Catholic school so I'm getting very familiar with Catholocism.  It's really not *that* different.

SamanthaAgain
by Sam on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:06 AM

I've always understood the word "Christian" to be an umbrella term, covering many denominations and practices.  So yes, I would consider Catholics to be Christians, as the are followers of Christ.

Follow me to learn about Cloth Diapering and why I choose to give my son choice.Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

lajoy
by Holly on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:11 AM

Quoting muslimah:

I hate to hear people say they are not Christians. Just because their have a different worship process that may in every way go against what those who consider themself to be Christians do that does not exclude then from the category of Christian.

I don't agree with their beliefe as I don't agree with the the beliefes of any other sect of Christianity or else I would have embraced it as my religion and been one but that does not change what the technically are.

They embrace the idea that Jesus is the son of God, died on the cross, and rose after 3 days. Number 1 just embracing the idea that Jesus is the son of God technically qualifies them as Christian.

I agree.

Hearts_n_Stars
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:13 AM

Quoting EireLass:

My understanding (interpretation?) of the Bible would suggest they are not. I was brought up Catholic, so I'm familiar with the practice. 

i was brought up Catholic also... and never once have i heard us being refered to as Christians.. so no, i do not consider myself a Christian.. while the two religions are similar, they are not exactly the same.. many differences between the two, in my eyes..

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)