Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Dutch doctors urge ban on circumcision

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:01 AM
Sam
  • 69 Replies

Dutch doctors urge ban on circumcision

May 28, 2010

The Royal Dutch Medical Association on Thursday suggested a possible ban on elective circumcisions for young boys, saying they were medically unnecessary and violated children's rights.

The 161-year-old organization, which represents more than 46,000 doctors and students, called the procedure "a violation of the integrity of the body."

The group, known by its Dutch initials KNMG, proposed a dialogue between doctors and religious groups on the issue.

Most non-therapeutic circumcisions in the Netherlands are performed on religious grounds. In the capital of Amsterdam, parents seeking circumcisions for elective reasons are often referred to a small clinic in a heavily Muslim neighborhood.

"KNMG sees good reasons for a legal ban on non-therapeutic circumcisions, but fears that this will lead to the operation going underground," it said in a statement.

In a column on the KNMG's website, chairman Arie Nieuwenhuijzen Kruseman said some 80 per cent of the group's members agreed circumcision should be discouraged.

According to a 2007 World Health Organization report, some 30 per cent of men worldwide are circumcised.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I thought maybe this could stay respectful since we are debating the laws in another country.  Knowing that non-therapeutic (As in, not medically needed for a specific problem) is already rare in the Netherlands, what do you think of this proposed ban?  Do you have the same worries as the one quoted in the article, that the procedure may go underground?  Do you believe parents should have the right to have surgery performed on their infants, even if medical experts believe it is not medically warranted?

Follow me to learn about Cloth Diapering and why I choose to give my son choice.Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lajoy
by Holly on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:15 AM

I don't know about a ban, but I think it should be discouraged. I do think that if someone is going to choose to get their son cut, it should be done in a sterile, medical facility.

Does anyone else think that it's weird to make a religious ceremony out of cutting a baby's penis???? I never quite understood why people STILL do that.

lajoy
by Holly on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM

Do you have a link to this article??

MovalMomsADMIN
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:17 AM

Quoting lajoy:

I don't know about a ban, but I think it should be discouraged. I do think that if someone is going to choose to get their son cut, it should be done in a sterile, medical facility.

Does anyone else think that it's weird to make a religious ceremony out of cutting a baby's penis???? I never quite understood why people STILL do that.

i agree with everything you said down to the whole religious stuff... i dont get it...

RNMOMO4
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I think it would be difficult to ban the procedure for the children of faiths that practice it.  Imagine the outrage when someone decides to ban a centuries old practice.   Medically warranted or not, circumcision has been around as long as man has been recording history.  It is the decision of the parents just as they must decide how or when to treat their sick child. 

My sons are all circumcised.  We are not Jewish but it was my decision and as a nurse and a mother, I made the decision based on my views and beliefs.

lajoy
by Holly on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:22 AM

Do Muslims get circ'd? I guess that would make sense, but I never thought about it before.

SamanthaAgain
by Sam on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:30 AM

http://www.smh.com.au/lifestyle/wellbeing/dutch-doctors-urge-ban-on-circumcision-20100528-wkct.html

Sorry, firefox is so picky with copy/paste!

ecagle
by Kegel on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:54 AM

Ok, while I'm not religious, I fully support the religious beliefs of others.  Circumcision as an adult is painful....and honestly, I would argue more painful because more skin is removed.  As most people end up following the religious beliefs of their parents, that would mean a number of older boys/men undergoing the pain.  In addition, it very easily could go underground and parents might then NOT take their child to a doctor for fear of being reported about the circumcision.

I would support measures to make getting a circumcision harder.  For example, insurance not covering the procedure and making the procedure more expensive.  Another thought would be requiring that the baby is a week old and the circumcisions are performed in a clinic, not directly after birth.

BleedinHeartMom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM

I'm so glad I've already had my kids and not have to worry about these ridiculous things..My lil boy is circ'ed and I do not regret it one bit..

SamanthaAgain
by Sam on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:13 PM

I think I should save myself some time and just follow you around agreeing today lol.  At one point I was completely for a total ban on non-theraputic circumcision.  But after many long hours spent on debates right here in CM, I agree with you.  It is simply far too ingrained, not only in our society but in certain religious beliefs.  While I absolutely hate the idea of an infant going under the knife for something as trivial as foreskin, I can't handle the idea that someone may put their baby through that in a non-sterile environment.

Quoting ecagle:

Ok, while I'm not religious, I fully support the religious beliefs of others.  Circumcision as an adult is painful....and honestly, I would argue more painful because more skin is removed.  As most people end up following the religious beliefs of their parents, that would mean a number of older boys/men undergoing the pain.  In addition, it very easily could go underground and parents might then NOT take their child to a doctor for fear of being reported about the circumcision.

I would support measures to make getting a circumcision harder.  For example, insurance not covering the procedure and making the procedure more expensive.  Another thought would be requiring that the baby is a week old and the circumcisions are performed in a clinic, not directly after birth.

Follow me to learn about Cloth Diapering and why I choose to give my son choice.Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:51 PM

This violates a persons right to practice their religion not to mention prohibits family medical decisions.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)