Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When homeschooling goes wrong (PIOG)

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:14 AM
Sam
  • 57 Replies

I'm a big advocate for homeschooling.  But it would be ignorant to deny the fact that sometimes, it is done the wrong way.

I recently met a brother and sister (13 and 15 years old) who have been homeschooled their entire lives up until this past month, when they entered public school for the first time.  They are attending middle school as 7th and 8th graders.  They are friendly, fun loving kids who make friends easily.  The problem?  Neither of them can read past a first grade level.  Their math skills and knowledge in other areas are very similar.  The sister will move on to 8th grade next year, but the brother will stay behind to repeat 8th grade, as he is simply not ready for high school yet.  Neither of them have been diagnosed with a learning disability, and as far as I know, the school isn't leaning toward a diagnosis either.  They were simply failed by their parents.

What should happen when families like this are found?  I'm not talking about a 6 year old who can't read.  Studies have suggested that the average child will learn to read at 8 years old when allowed to work at their own pace in a learning rich environment.  I'm talking about severe cases like this one.  A 15 year old who can barely get through a 1st grade level book simply because he was never taught!

Follow me to learn about Cloth Diapering and why I choose to give my son choice.Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RNMOMO4
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:16 AM

I thought home-schooled kids had to be tested periodically by a "teacher" to make sure they are receiving the proper education???  I am not a home schooler, so pardon me if I am wrong about that.  Maybe that is just the way it is in Florida???

lanceandhailey
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:24 AM

Quoting RNMOMO4:

I thought home-schooled kids had to be tested periodically by a "teacher" to make sure they are receiving the proper education???  I am not a home schooler, so pardon me if I am wrong about that.  Maybe that is just the way it is in Florida???

Yes, I'm pretty sure they have to report to someone and test now and then....I don't know.

SamanthaAgain
by Sam on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Quoting RNMOMO4:

It depends on your state.  In California (where I live), testing is not required of homeschoolers.

Follow me to learn about Cloth Diapering and why I choose to give my son choice.Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

ecagle
by Kegel on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:46 AM

I honestly think this is educational neglect.  I also feel that there should be standards that a homeschooling parent should have to meet.  I'm open to there being options and the parents picks one to prove that they have taught.  Options could be that the child takes a state test at the end of the year or that the parents present a portfolio of the work the student has completed.  Either way, there should be periodic assessment to ensure the child is being educated.

I do want to add that most homeschooling families ARENT like this.

40isfun
by Christi on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:56 AM

That story is unbelievable.  Just making the kids read every day on their own would have prevented that.  It's basic.  If they can read at the first grade level then that means the foundation had already been laid and the hard part (teaching phonics and sight words) was done.  I can't understand how that  happened.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 3, 2010 at 11:59 AM

I think "safe guards" need to be put in place and every child, regardless of where they are schooled, needs to be tested yearly in every state.

miss146mn
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:01 PM

This makes me think of something we saw on Nightline this week about Unschooling. 

http://abcnews.go.com/Nightline/unschooling-homeschooling-books-tests-rules/story?id=10796507

So I looked up what the regulations are state to state (they had a link in a related story: http://www.hslda.org/laws/default.asp) and I was really surprised at the lack of regulations!

I would LOVE to have my son in Montessori school for as long as we can.  We don't know where we'll live yet or what kind of jobs we'll have, so I know I may have to consider other alternatives.  The thought of homeschooling scares me, I would feel horrible if I let my child down in that aspect of their life.  I know my faults, and I know that I need a break from my child and he needs one from me. 

tornados4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:04 PM

where I live there is no reporting to anyone.  I homeschool and have to report to no one.   However, the same failures can be found in the public school system as well.  this is the very reason I pulled my daughter out of public school.  Failing grades, unconcerned teacher and a "oh well" attitude towards the oh thing.

Quoting lanceandhailey:

Quoting RNMOMO4:

Yes, I'm pretty sure they have to report to someone and test now and then....I don't know.

BleedinHeartMom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:07 PM

My cousin was homeschooled his entire school time..He was wonderful at football and the college had said if he had gone to regular school he could of got a scholarship to play..he is heart broken...

tornados4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 12:11 PM

I have to disagree with the periodic testing.  Homeschool circuliums vary differently and the testing would be based on the public schools circuliums.  Just as I use rod and staff, my aunt uses Abeka.  So you would have no idea what might be on the test.  also I have one child that is slower than the rest of my kids and he may actually may be behind, however, he is learning at a pace that works for him. 

Quoting ecagle:

I honestly think this is educational neglect.  I also feel that there should be standards that a homeschooling parent should have to meet.  I'm open to there being options and the parents picks one to prove that they have taught.  Options could be that the child takes a state test at the end of the year or that the parents present a portfolio of the work the student has completed.  Either way, there should be periodic assessment to ensure the child is being educated.

I do want to add that most homeschooling families ARENT like this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)