Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Prescription Formula

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:23 PM
  • 158 Replies

We are all told breastfeeding is best.  However, many new mothers receive free samples of formula and then are drawn to purchase more. It's quick, easy and painless to go to the store and purchase formula. 

In an effort to encourage more mothers to breastfeed, should formula be on a prescription basis?  Should a doctor evaluate a baby to decide which formula would be best for the child?

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SxyMartini
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:24 PM

No. It's a personal choice. 

survivorinohio
by René on Jun. 3, 2010 at 1:47 PM

Would the poors access to formula be reduced as is their access to healthcare?

I think its a bold idea that would have some positive impact, but the possibility of negative implications bothers me.

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong, because sometime in life you will have been one or all of these. George Washington Carver

SamanthaAgain
by Sam on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:02 PM

No, it should be a personal choice.  I'm all for breastfeeding awareness and making more support available to moms, but to basically take the choice away is wrong.  Millions of babies have used formula, and turned into healthy, happy children and adults.  There are a multitude of reasons a mother may choose formula, and her doctor should not be the one to say whether or not those reasons are good enough.

megafine
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:03 PM

No, it should not be by prescription only.  It's the right of the Mother to decide how to feed her baby.

ecagle
by Kegel on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Quoting SamanthaAgain:

No, it should be a personal choice.  I'm all for breastfeeding awareness and making more support available to moms, but to basically take the choice away is wrong.  Millions of babies have used formula, and turned into healthy, happy children and adults.  There are a multitude of reasons a mother may choose formula, and her doctor should not be the one to say whether or not those reasons are good enough.

One could argue that the implications of being formula fed are more damaging to a little boy than a circumcision, but some want to take away that choice (c;

SamanthaAgain
by Sam on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:22 PM

Quoting ecagle:

Quoting SamanthaAgain:

One could argue that the implications of being formula fed are more damaging to a little boy than a circumcision, but some want to take away that choice (c;

Oooh, feisty!  lol.  I have grudgingly come to the realization that banning circumcision would not be the best choice for our country. 

HOWEVER, I do not believe that formula feeding is nearly as damaging as circumcision, especially when you factor in the very real reasons some women choose to turn to the bottle.  I was a better mother to my son with formula, because the scars left from a childhood trauma made breastfeeding emotional torture for me.

And now I'm off to work, so you'll have to wait until I take the bait again. :)

Follow me to learn about Cloth Diapering and why I choose to give my son choice.Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:22 PM

It is definitely a personal choice and should be kept that way.  I don't even want to think about all of thethings that could go wrong with this.

ecagle
by Kegel on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:25 PM

Quoting SamanthaAgain:

Quoting ecagle:

Quoting SamanthaAgain:

Oooh, feisty!  lol.  I have grudgingly come to the realization that banning circumcision would not be the best choice for our country. 

HOWEVER, I do not believe that formula feeding is nearly as damaging as circumcision, especially when you factor in the very real reasons some women choose to turn to the bottle.  I was a better mother to my son with formula, because the scars left from a childhood trauma made breastfeeding emotional torture for me.

And now I'm off to work, so you'll have to wait until I take the bait again. :)

And for medical reasons, formula would be available (c;

As you know, my son was circumcised for medical reasons....very real medical reasons (c;

But I agree, I don't think formula should necessarily be by prescription, but I think it should be marketed differently.  I don't think it should be as expensive as it is....if it's a choice, it should be a choice, not something that could potentially put parents in debt.  As it is, if a child needs a specific formula for medical reasons, most insurances WONT cover it (one benefit of making it prescription based) even if the child is suffering from severe allergies.  Formula companies can charge an arm and a leg for those formulas because there are no generics and the babies need them.

Carmelita_79
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:26 PM

I am a huge advocate of breastfeeding, but I disagree with this.  It should remain a personal choice. 

Randi02
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:28 PM

Yes, it should be. Very few mothers truly cannot breastfeed. It's what's best for baby, so unless you have a valid medical reason... why would you not give your child the best start?

If you CHOOSE formula, you should have to pay for it yourself. If your child needs it, then there would be no problem getting a prescription.

Of course, then there's the other side of it. Women who won't breastfeed, but can't afford formula so they dilute it or feed something else. I believe you should have to pass a test to be a parent LOL It requires us to be SELFLESS, not SELFISH.

I am a Canadian,breastfeeding (it IS best, there is nothing even close to that nutrition and bond), co sleeping, extended rear facing (if you don't rear face to the maximum of your seat, you're NOT doing all you can to protect your child), baby wearing, Non spanking (I want my kids to respect me, not fear me) ANTI- CIO, homemade baby food making, cloth diapering, organic (chemical free household!) recycling mama to TWO and one on the way! My husband is my equal and best friend, not my master and I believe basic health care should be a human RIGHT, not a privilege.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)