Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When would you charge them as adults?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:47 PM
  • 26 Replies

Is it an age?  A level of maturity? A certain aspect of the criminal behavior?

I have a hard time with the fact that adolescents who are undergoing incredible chemical stress are treated as adults for crimes committed.  I just think that there is still real hope for these kids to overcome things that  have happened.  To really change.

What say you?

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong, because sometime in life you will have been one or all of these. George Washington Carver

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:01 PM

I think after 10.

survivorinohio
by René on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:27 PM

Quoting stormcris:

I think after 10.

Ok elaborate...  Do you mean for violent crimes, property crimes, incorrigibility?  Do away with the juvenile system all together?

Or am I missing the sarcasm?

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong, because sometime in life you will have been one or all of these. George Washington Carver

40isfun
by Christi on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:28 PM

I think it depends on the severity of the crime.  I think by the time kids get to high school they know better about most things.

stormcris
by Christy on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:39 PM

I do not mean put them in mainstream prison but I think they should face up to the same charges as an adult at that age. Maybe I should say 12 the ages between 10 and 12 are transitional. At any rate, for all crime I feel they should transition over to a boot camp type behavior prison in which they also should serve the community or state. I do not feel the prison system as it currently is will help with anyone. At least by 12 most children know the world, what is right and wrong and how their actions impact others. There are always exceptions based on mentality but it must be a real mental deficit. I also feel they must serve in disasters when they occur. 

Quoting survivorinohio:

Quoting stormcris:

I think after 10.

Ok elaborate...  Do you mean for violent crimes, property crimes, incorrigibility?  Do away with the juvenile system all together?

Or am I missing the sarcasm?

SxyMartini
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:40 PM

Think they should all be charged as adults. Then less of them will try to get away with stuff...

survivorinohio
by René on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:36 PM

Does that mean that their crimes would be eligible for capital status and that we could then execute 14 yr olds?

MamaScorpio88
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:43 PM

Depends, mainly on the matuiry, or lack there of. Some 10 yo's grasp the severity of their actions, but not all do. Many children grow up to be immature adults. So, again, depends on maturity.

Mandipants
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Like you said--it all depends on the circumstance. That is why there is no hard and fast age.

Legally speaking I think it is actually 10 (I'd have to verify that) that is a known cutoff that kids just won't be charged as an adult...

tericared
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:19 PM

If  a kid commits a violent crime they should be tried as an adult...No matter the age.....If a 9 year old picks up a gun and walks into his fathers room and shoots him, he should be treated as an adult....

MamaScorpio88
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:21 PM

Quoting tericared:

If  a kid commits a violent crime they should be tried as an adult...No matter the age.....If a 9 year old picks up a gun and walks into his fathers room and shoots him, he should be treated as an adult....

What if daddy just got done hurting mommy? What if he finally got scared enough and shot him? Adult then?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)