Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Real-Life Police Investigate Virtual Theft of Virtual Furniture

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:58 PM
  • 1 Replies

Real-Life Police Investigate Virtual Theft of Virtual Furniture

Updated: 22 hours 44 minutes ago
Print Text Size
AOL News
(June 2) -- I have no idea how I feel about real-life police investigating the virtual theft of virtual furniture. So I figure I'll just work it out here, with you fine folks.

On the one hand, this is theft. The virtual goods in the game Habbo Hotel do cost actual money -- the in-game currency is purchased through an exchange, so there's an actual tangible loss here. The victims have seen something they've exchanged real money for taken without their permission.

Habbo Hotel game image.
www.habbo.com
A promotional image from the virtual game Habbo Hotel.
But on the other hand, these people are spending real-life money on furniture that doesn't physically exist in a game world that also doesn't physically exist.

The developers of the virtual world apparently aren't smart enough to bind the virtual goods to the computer and/or account used to purchase them (as Microsoft does with Xbox Live purchases), and the inhabitants of this world aren't smart enough to put their money into a system that, at the very least, would protect their property.

Not to mention that these virtual thieves have probably done these poor victims a favor by taking enough of their virtual presence that they might, like, back away from the computer for a minute and actually interact with the real world. Maybe they'll even jog a mile in celebration of National Running Day today.

So there you go, my conflicting emotions about virtual theft laid out before you. One thing I'm not conflicted on, however: The actual police have actual crimes to actually investigate and protect actual people from. I'm not sure that the misplacement of some stupid furniture that doesn't actually exist is worthy of their time. ... There are people being raped and murdered, and we're not talking about their avatars being violated. We're talking about their flesh.

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong, because sometime in life you will have been one or all of these. George Washington Carver

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 2:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-1):
boyerbaby
by New Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 3:06 PM

Who would report this to authorities? And wouldn't cyberspace be out of the jurisdiction of law enforcement?

These people need to be taken away from their computers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)