Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

students taking action against apartheid...in their own voices

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:22 PM
  • 11 Replies

The following is from Jewish Voice for Peace:

Just minutes ago, the students at Evergreen State College in Olympia, Washington, the alma mater of Rachel Corrie, announced that the whole student body voted overwhelmingly in favor of divestment from companies that profit from the Israeli occupation and in favor of making their campus Caterpillar-free.

What's more remarkable is that the decision was not made by a student council and thus vulnerable to veto by just one person, as we saw in Berkeley. No, it was decided through a campus-wide vote. No one, not the promoters of the divestment policy, not its detractors, knew how the students would vote in complete privacy.

The results? The divestment vote won by a landslide 79.5%! The Caterpillar vote by an equally impressive 71.8%!

The Evergreen College Board of Trustees and Board of Governors actually hold the purse strings of the Evergreen College and the Evergreen Foundation respectively. You can imagine the pressure that will be brought upon them to ignore the student votes.

We need you to email them right and ask them to respect the voice of the students and divest!

Board of Turstees Direction Carver T. Gayton (tescbot@evergreen.edu)
Foundation Vice President Lee Hoemann (foundation@evergreen.edu)

Also, go to http://tescdivest.org/ to sign a petition in support of the students!

Immediately after the student vote, the student union passed a unanimous resolution requesting full disclosure of all corporations, including those held through mutual funds, in which The Evergreen State College Foundation and The Evergreen State College are invested and asking the Board of Trustees and the Board of Governors to make public a plan of action for divestment from companies that profit from the occupation of Palestine.

Please email Mr. Gayton and Ms. Hoemann today and ask them to divest.

Many of you followed with baited breath the struggle for divestment at the University of California at Berkeley and San Diego. We sent you this report about the inspiring students from Berkeley Students for Justice in Palestine (SJP).  Well the attacks on the bill's supporter's, including Jewish Voice for Peace, were vicious and predictable, so we decided to respond and also document what we had learned about how the anti-divestment groups work. We think it's important reading for those working on other campuses. 

Most important, we interviewed the UC Berkeley student supporters of divestment so you could hear them in their own words. We can't possibly convey how incredibly inspired we were by them, but we think this ten-minute video clip will do the job for us. One thing is certain. If you want to know where today's smart, compassionate, curious and socially engaged students of all backgrounds are gravitating to, it's the campus divestment movement.

Congratulations Evergreen. During these very painful times when we see peacemakers being attacked on the seas outside Gaza, in B'ilin and N'ilin and Sheik Jarrah, it's hugely inspiring to see that real change is happening with an entire new generation.

Sydney Levy
Director of Campaigns
Jewish Voice for Peace

PS: A lot of information and misinformation is going around about the Gaza flotilla. Here's a good primer to share with friends and family: Lying About The Gaza Flotilla Disaster

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimah
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I could have sworn that I just replied to this but don't see it.

Oh well like I said in what I thought I replied to was that the Methodist Church also pulled all support and sponsorship of Caterpillar last year for the reasons because they said they refuse to support Apartheid.

tericared
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:42 PM

This is fantastic......

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:51 PM

I am just curious.  Will they also refuse funding from people who make their living by using the Caterpillar company?

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jun. 4, 2010 at 3:30 AM

I think it's awesome the whole Methodist church is behind BDS...do we have an updated list of all the people, organizations, etc that have signed on?

I know that recently several more musicians and entertainers have signed on...as well as organizations such as colleges...

anybody got a lead on a good website that posts an updated list?

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 2:00 PM

Quoting Godgaveme4:

I am just curious.  Will they also refuse funding from people who make their living by using the Caterpillar company?

Still wondering how far they are willing to take this.  Will they investigate every donation to make sure it does not come from anyone that works for the Caterppillar company or from anyone that support Isreal or anyone that works for a company that supports Isreal.  Will they be sending iout letters to their alumni telling them that if they use caterpillar for work or home improveents that they can just forget babout sending in the donations check they planned to give?

I do not support this type of boycott. 

muslimah
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 3:18 PM

Quoting Goodwoman614:

I think it's awesome the whole Methodist church is behind BDS...do we have an updated list of all the people, organizations, etc that have signed on?

I know that recently several more musicians and entertainers have signed on...as well as organizations such as colleges...

Still getting started della. I over slept to almost 2:00 but when I get my eyes open I will look into it. Have you gone to the group and looked in the Boycott forum? I know cali just posted something about a list of entertainers and artist who are boycotting one of which is Elvis Costello and then of course there is pink Floyd who rewrote the lyrics to The Wall and dedicated it to the Palestinians who are locked behind the Apartheid wall that the israelis have put up.

I will see what else I can find and on who.

muslimah
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 3:54 PM

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Still getting started della. I over slept to almost 2:00 but when I get my eyes open I will look into it. Have you gone to the group and looked in the Boycott forum? I know cali just posted something about a list of entertainers and artist who are boycotting one of which is Elvis Costello and then of course there is pink Floyd who rewrote the lyrics to The Wall and dedicated it to the Palestinians who are locked behind the Apartheid wall that the israelis have put up.

I will see what else I can find and on who.

Here are some boycotts already in place. As far as any recent in the last few days I have not had time to check into it yet but will do that later.

Caterpillar under Fire for Human Rights Abuses for Sixth Year in a Row
Chicago, IL (June 3) -- For the sixth year in a row, members of Jewish, Christian, and human rights organizations will be present at Caterpillar, Inc.'s annual shareholder meeting to demand that Caterpillar end its complicity with violations of human rights and international law in the occupied West Bank, Gaza Strip, and East Jerusalem.
http://mrzine.monthlyreview.org/cat030609.html

US Students Rejoice israel Boycott

WASHINGTON — Pro-Palestinian students in a US college are celebrating its decision to divest from firms serving the Israeli occupation of Palestine, a decision that has sparked a raging controversy.

"We were able to educate and mobilize an entire community, the majority of our community," Aidan Kriese, an organizer from the Students for Justice in Palestine group (SJP) in Hampshire College, Massachusetts, told IslamOnline. net.

"And the majority has made a decision."

On February 7, Hampshire College became the first US institute of higher education to divest from companies involved in the Israeli occupation of Palestine.

The groundbreaking decision was taken by the Committee on Investment Responsibility and approved by the College's Board of Trustees.

The six companies are Caterpillar, Terex, Motorola, ITT, General Electric, and United Technologies.

They are believed to be directly providing the Israeli military with equipment and services in Gaza and the occupied West Bank.

For more info on the divestment project visit:
http://www.divestmentproject.org/

Here's an interview with on of the organizers in which he clearly explains the reasoning behind the project, something which is missing from this article.
(Part1)
http://www.iamthewitness.com/audio/Somerville.Project/CII.2008.11.28.Fri.1of2.Somerville.Project.mp3
(Part2)
http://www.iamthewitness.com/audio/Somerville.Project/CII.2008.11.28.Fri.2of2.Somerville.Project.mp3

TA university scholar to advocate israel boycott

A Tel Aviv University academic will call for a boycott of Israel, speaking at a London university event next month to commemorate "one year since Israel's attack" on Gaza.

Dr. Anat Matar of TAU's Philosophy Department will be speaking on February 17 at London University's School for Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) - a campus renowned for anti-Israel activity.

Matar's talk is to be titled "Supporting the Boycott on Israel: A View from Within."

She is taking part in a series of events over the coming weeks organized by the Palestinian societies at five University of London campuses - University College London, SOAS, Imperial College, Kings College and Goldsmiths - as well as at the University of Westminster.

In an article in Haaretz in August, Matar accused her own university of being complicit with the "occupation" and questioned Israel's stance on Palestinian academic freedom and basic education.

http://www.jpost.com/servlet/Satellite?cid=1263147942494&pagename=JPost%2FJPArticle%2FShowFull

israeli exporters forced to slash prices due to boycott

Bethlehem – Ma’an – Israeli exporters have been forced to cut prices in part because of a worldwide boycott of Israeli products in protest of Israel’s occupation of Palestinian land, a leading industry association reported this week.

Israeli exporters have been “losing foreign markets and customers because of the global economic crisis and a growing anti-Israel boycott of locally made products following Operation Cast Lead.”

The findings were made available by the Israel Manufacturers Association on Sunday, and published in the Jerusalem Post the following day.

According to the report, 21 percent of Israeli exporters face difficulties selling abroad, particularly to the UK and “Scandinavian countries.”

http://www.maannews.net/en/index.php?opr=ShowDetails&Do=&ID=36788

ScScottish TUC commits decisively for Boycott, Divestment & Sanctions

Scotland today joined Ireland and South Africa when the Scottish Trade Union Congress, representing every Scottish trade union, voted overwhelmingly to commit to boycott, divestment and sanctions against Israel. This is the third example of a national trade union federation committing to BDS and is a clear indication that, while Israel can kill Palestinians with impunity and Western support, it has lost the battle for world public opinion. It is now seen to be a state born out of ethnic cleansing and still expanding through the violent dispossession of the Palestinian people.

Speaker after speaker expressed intense anger at Israel’s butchery of 1,300 Palestinians in Gaza over the New Year, as well as the much longer history of Israeli ethnic cleansing of Palestinians. The vote followed a visit to Israel/Palestine by an STUC Delegation in March which heard from a wide range of trade union and other bodies and returned with a unanimous recommendation that the parent body adopt BDS.
Read full STUC Press Release

B.D.S., the first smashing victory
The Boycott Divestment and Sanctions movement against Israeli apartheid choked up a first smashing victory against a large corporation. Veolia is in the process of withdrawing from the Jerusalem light rail project

http://jewssansfron tieres.blogspot. com/2009/ 06/bds-first- smashing- victory.html

muslimah
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 4:26 PM

Author Iain Banks called for a cultural and educational boycott on Israel Thursday 6-3

LONDON
Thu Jun 3, 2010 5:34pm BST

LONDON (Reuters) - Author Iain Banks called for a cultural and educational boycott on Israel Thursday following its deadly raid on a flotilla of ships carrying aid to the blockaded Gaza Strip.

The author, well known for his science fiction novels and other works, said in a letter to the Guardian newspaper that he had instructed his agent to turn down any further book translation deals with Israeli publishers.

http://uk.reuters. com/article/ idUKTRE6524EY201 00603

Britain’s largest academic union cuts ties

UCU conference also passes motion in support of Palestinian academic trade unionists.

LONDON – Britain’s largest trade union for academics and academic-related staff in higher education voted to support the boycott, divestment and sanctions (BDS) campaign against Israel and sever ties with the Histadrut, at its annual conference in Manchester on Sunday.

http://www.jpost.com/International/Article.aspx?id=177210

muslimah
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 9:46 PM
bump
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jun. 6, 2010 at 12:48 AM

Bump!  Thanks for the info and updates in your comments, ladies!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)