Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Calif. moves to ban plastic bags at grocery stores

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:52 PM
  • 24 Replies

SACRAMENTO, Calif. – It could soon cost California shoppers at the checkout aisle if they forget to bring their own bags to the store under what would be the nation's first statewide plastic bag ban.

The California Assembly on Wednesday passed legislation prohibiting pharmacies and grocery, liquor and convenience stores from giving out plastic bags. The bill also calls for customers to be charged for using store-issued paper bags.

The goal is to get rid of unsightly disposable plastic bags that often wind up in urban rivers and the ocean, as well as to reduce the number of bags heading for landfills.

"The biggest way to eliminate this kind of pollution is to ban it," said Assemblywoman Julia Brownley, D-Santa Monica, who authored the bill.

Discouraging plastic bag use through fees or bans first gained traction outside of the U.S. in nations such as South Africa, Ireland, China and Bangladesh.

In 2007, San Francisco became the first U.S. city to require supermarkets and large drug stores to offer customers bags made only of recyclable paper, plastic that can be turned into compost, or sturdy cloth or plastic that can be reused.

Wal-Mart Stores Inc. got rid of plastic bags at three of its Northern California stores this January as part of a pilot program to gauge customer response.

No other U.S. state has adopted a ban, according to Brownley's office.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100603/ap_on_bi_ge/us_plastic_bags

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ecagle
by Kegel on Jun. 3, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Ironically enough, I have no issues with it.  I happen to live in Cali too.  I may have no issues with this because I already bring my own bags.

NearSeattleMom
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:07 PM

Seattle tried to pass a law banning plastic bags.  The votes did not go for it.

I asked a checker recently how she felt about the canvas bags and she admitted that they are much more difficult for them to work with.  I noticed how much they slowed her down.

I personally reuse the plastic bags (for cleaning the litter box) . . . but I still feel guilty about them.  I have canvas bags but I never remember to take them to the store with me.

readingI have four kids.  I've been married 22 years. My favorite color is purple. I hate coffee. I read a lot. I love to go to movies alone. Hot weather makes me crabby. 

megafine
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:24 PM

California has more important things to deal with then whether we should use plastic bags or not... Sheesh!

tericared
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:26 PM

I am all for doing away with plastic bags, every where..... and using recycled paper or canvas bags. But to charge a customer for a paper bag I think is wrong....

muslimah
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I would have to move across state lines or take my own plastic (which as paying customer I shouldn't have to do) because I refuse to give up plastic bags when it comes to shopping.

Calif. is just way too overbored liberal for me. I could never live there.

MamaScorpio88
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:13 PM

I saw a sign in my local Chavez market mentioning this. I personally re-use my bags, mainly for garbage in the bathroom. The reusable ones are a pain in the ass, TBO

Seashell77
by Bronze Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:21 PM

I think that solutions like this are needed to save our earth. The plastic bags that are not biodegradable are just poluting our planet's, making the environmental situation worse, which is really tragic. Unless only bio-degradable bags are used, then I think this attempt to ban regular ones is a good idea.  Where I live, regular plastic bags are actually recyled, however that leaves me wondering whether they should be recyled, but instead just not used altogether.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:27 PM

Quoting MamaScorpio88:

I saw a sign in my local Chavez market mentioning this. I personally re-use my bags, mainly for garbage in the bathroom. The reusable ones are a pain in the ass, TBO

I reuse mine for bathroom trash and dirty diaps. I like my plastic bag:)

Different, but not less~Temple Grandin

margroc
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:33 PM

We have plastic bags in our supermarkets but you have to pay a nickel for them.  The majority of people here use the canvas bags and it's no biggie.  I keep them in the car and then when I take my groceries out at home I hang them on the door knob to take out to the car.  Plastic bags are not biodegradable and often end up in the oceans killing birds and fish.  It's such a small thing that would be an enormous help to the planet.  I don't get why it's such a big deal to some people.

BleedinHeartMom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:37 PM

Quoting margroc:

We have plastic bags in our supermarkets but you have to pay a nickel for them.  The majority of people here use the canvas bags and it's no biggie.  I keep them in the car and then when I take my groceries out at home I hang them on the door knob to take out to the car.  Plastic bags are not biodegradable and often end up in the oceans killing birds and fish.  It's such a small thing that would be an enormous help to the planet.  I don't get why it's such a big deal to some people.

Laziness? I use my canvas green bags and they are awesome..they don't rip and drop my perishables all over the place..I remember growing up and my grandparents using them I always thought it was corny..boy was I wrong!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)