Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Killing of al-Qaeda's No. 3: Does It Matter?

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:06 PM
  • 9 Replies

Another senior al-Qaeda operative has been killed by a drone strike in Pakistan. He's an Egyptian named Mustafa al-Yazid, variously described as overall commander for Afghanistan and Pakistan, al-Qaeda's financier, and one of the movement's founding members. Obama Administration sources claim he was No. 3 in al-Qaeda, but since al-Qaeda does not have a chain of command in any sense that we recognize, that doesn't mean much. The real question is whether we're any safer with Yazid gone.

When news about Yazid broke, I happened to be on the phone with an FBI agent working counter-terrorism. His initial reaction to Yazid death was, "Does it really matter?" With al-Qaeda's leaders holed up in Pakistan's remote tribal region, cut off from the rank and file, and decimated by drone attacks, they're not in a position to organize or execute anything. They're lucky to stay alive. But he was quick to add that that does not mean we're out from terrorist threats. (See the Top 10 CIA Movies.)

My FBI friend had spent the weekend in the office, Memorial Day, time he had hoped to spend with his family. He said he was doing what he'd been doing for the last couple of years: tracking down homegrown terrorists - people living in this country drawn to jihad by Internet blogs, the self-recruited. None has any direct connections to al-Qaeda.

It's people like the failed Times Square car bomber, Faisal Shahzad, who worry the FBI far more than al-Qaeda's leadership does. Shahzad may have made connections with the Taliban in Pakistan, but that was well after he took his decision to act. Even then, there's a question over whether any al-Qaeda connection was ever made. Did Yazid even know of Shahzad's existence before he drove that car bomb to Times Square? There's no evidence for it. And Shahzad could have carried out his attack on his own, without the direction or help from al-Qaeda. (See pictures of the Times Square bomb plot.)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/time/08599199360100;_ylt=AmuksBGdcLdD9E67QKjkIr1v24cA;_ylu=X3oDMTM1cGdncjVkBGFzc2V0A3RpbWUvMjAxMDA2MDMvMDg1OTkxOTkzNjAxMDAEY2NvZGUDbW9zdHBvcHVsYXIEY3BvcwM1BHBvcwM1BHNlYwN5bl90b3Bfc3RvcmllcwRzbGsDYW5hbHlzaXN3aHlk

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:06 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
NearSeattleMom
by Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:09 PM

Terrorists are like cockroaches.  Squash one and another appears to take its place.

But that does leave the world with one less terrorist.  That seems to me like a good thing.

readingI have four kids.  I've been married 22 years. My favorite color is purple. I hate coffee. I read a lot. I love to go to movies alone. Hot weather makes me crabby. 

itsmesteph11
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:13 PM

LOL  NO

tericared
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:23 PM

I found this very fasinating....

It's people like the failed Times Square car bomber, Faisal Shahzad, who worry the FBI far more than al-Qaeda's leadership does. Shahzad may have made connections with the Taliban in Pakistan, but that was well after he took his decision to act. Even then, there's a question over whether any al-Qaeda connection was ever made. Did Yazid even know of Shahzad's existence before he drove that car bomb to Times Square? There's no evidence for it. And Shahzad could have carried out his attack on his own, without the direction or help from al-Qaeda. (See pictures of the Times Square bomb plot.)

Gypsyuma
by Gold Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:27 PM

nuh uh

ashka88
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:44 PM

No it really doesn't.. Kinda sad really :o(

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Does it matter to you?

Is it your opinion that the "car bombers" are acting alone and of their own accord without orders being trickled down from the highest level?

tericared
by on Jun. 4, 2010 at 1:20 AM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Does it matter to you?

Is it your opinion that the "car bombers" are acting alone and of their own accord without orders being trickled down from the highest level?

Are you asking me?  If so, I did not say that or imply that,,,my comment was made on the fact that there was no evidence that there ties to Al Qaeda, or to Shahzad.... I found that fascinating considering as soon as the caught him it was all over the MSM that he was Al Qaeda

Gypsyuma
by Gold Member on Jun. 4, 2010 at 6:18 PM

They are always grooming replacements........ and with the way we act in the Middle East, it ain't hard to find thousands ready to fill any vacant spots.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jun. 4, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Quoting tericared:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Does it matter to you?

Are you asking me?  If so, I did not say that or imply that,,,my comment was made on the fact that there was no evidence that there ties to Al Qaeda, or to Shahzad.... I found that fascinating considering as soon as the caught him it was all over the MSM that he was Al Qaeda

I was asking if it mattered to you. Does it?

As for the second question, it is what I gathered by your earlier comment or observation.

Would you concede that there is a high possibility that he did have Al Qaeda ties?

Different, but not less~Temple Grandin

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)