Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Utah's high court hears challenge of death warrant

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:58 PM
  • 11 Replies

SALT LAKE CITY – A condemned inmate set for execution this month by firing squad has challenged his death warrant before the Utah Supreme Court.

Attorneys for Ronnie Lee Gardner have asked justices to reverse a state court judge's order of execution and impose a lifetime prison sentence.

As an alternative, Gardner's attorney says the case also could be sent back to state court for a new sentencing hearing.

The 49-year-old Gardner is scheduled to be executed June 18.

State attorneys say Gardner has no right to appeal the signing of a death warrant.

Chief Justice Christine Durham on Thursday said the five-member panel would take the arguments under advisement. It wasn't clear when a ruling would be issued.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100603/ap_on_re_us/us_utah_firing_squad

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:10 PM

What is execution by firing squad? Is that just how it sounds?

Mrs. Khan

tericared
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:04 PM

Quoting mrs_khan07:

Shooting them like in the old days..

Kaelansmom
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:06 PM

well, that's not fair... his victim didn't get a stay of execution, why should he?

Malapertinent
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:14 PM

Actually, the convict requested to be executed that way, if I remember correct.  Gary Gilmore did the same thing in the 70's.  Got him a movie as Tommy Lee Jones...

I say he's already concluded he is going to die...let him die by firing squad.  Bullets are cheap and the way they do it, none of the people firing their weapons at him will ever know whose bullet killed him.

maciymommieof3
by Silver Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 8:37 PM

HOW CAN THEY?

Quoting tericared:

Quoting mrs_khan07:

The Return of the SNARKY MOM's

No application reuired!

tericared
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:49 PM

Quoting maciymommieof3:

HOW CAN THEY?

Quoting tericared:

Quoting mrs_khan07:

Hey my friend, good to see you here....

tericared
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:50 PM

Quoting Malapertinent:

Actually, the convict requested to be executed that way, if I remember correct.  Gary Gilmore did the same thing in the 70's.  Got him a movie as Tommy Lee Jones...

I say he's already concluded he is going to die...let him die by firing squad.  Bullets are cheap and the way they do it, none of the people firing their weapons at him will ever know whose bullet killed him.

Yes he did ask for a firing squad, rather than lethal injection..

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 9:52 PM

Yes, he did request it.  Now it would seem he perhaps did so just so that he can whine about it and use it as an excuse to claim he's being unfairly treated?

Quoting Malapertinent:

tericared
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:05 PM

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Yes, he did request it.  Now it would seem he perhaps did so just so that he can whine about it and use it as an excuse to claim he's being unfairly treated?

Quoting Malapertinent:

It would seem he isnt to willing to be shot at now that it is getting closer..

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 10:14 PM
Probably he thought it sounded like a "going doer in a blaze of glory" macho thing on the beginning ... but as it draws closer it's not so appealling any more.

Quoting tericared:

Quoting LoveMyBoyK:

Quoting Malapertinent:

It would seem he isnt to willing to be shot at now that it is getting closer..

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)