Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Police investigate possible transgender hate crime in Ballard

Posted by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:03 PM
  • 7 Replies

Police investigate possible transgender hate crime in Ballard

By CASEY MCNERTHNEY
SEATTLEPI.COM STAFF

A man who was previously convicted of a hate crime was arrested after he yelled a derogatory slur at a transgender person and assaulted her, police said.

The incident happened about 3:50 p.m. Sunday at Northwest Market Street and 15th Avenue Northwest. The transgender person, who police say identifies as a woman, told an officer the suspect approached at a bus stop, yelled slurs at her and punched her several times with closed fists.

The suspect, a 51-year-old man, was arrested and booked into King County Jail. Court records show he was previously convicted for assault and a separate drug charge in 2004, and at least two other drug cases. In one 2007 case, police caught him smoking crack under the Alaskan Way Viaduct.

According to an incident report, police are investigating the case as "possible malicious harassment," the state's hate crime law. Court records show the suspect was previously convicted of malicious harassment in 2003.

The victim in the Ballard case told police she was fearful for her life and wanted to go to a hospital. She was taken to Ballard Swedish Hospital.

The suspect was found near Northwest 54th Street and 14th Avenue Northwest and arrested for investigation of assault.

"The suspect appeared intoxicated and had a strong odor of intoxicants," Officer Trung Nguyen wrote in an incident report. "He would not respond to my questions of whether he understood his rights."

The victim was ashamed that someone would assault her based on gender, according to police. Nguyen photographed the victim's injuries as evidence.

The suspect was ordered held on $250,000 bail, but he's also being held for violating terms of his Department of Corrections probation in a previous case, and bail for that was denied.

Seattlepi.com is not naming the suspect because he has not been charged in this case.

by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MamaScorpio88
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:07 PM

They are keeping him on bail, but they haven't even charged him? That doesn't sound right.

As for what he did, he is a sucky human being

katy_kay
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:11 PM

They are keeping him in on a probation violation (probably due to the drugs/alcohol). 

Quoting MamaScorpio88:

They are keeping him on bail, but they haven't even charged him? That doesn't sound right.

As for what he did, he is a sucky human being

MamaScorpio88
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:14 PM

Quoting katy_kay:

They are keeping him in on a probation violation (probably due to the drugs/alcohol). 

Must have missed that. Just got out of the sun.

katy_kay
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Quoting MamaScorpio88:

Quoting katy_kay:

sure brag why don't you.  (we haven't seen sun in weeks!)

MamaScorpio88
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Quoting katy_kay:

Quoting MamaScorpio88:

Quoting katy_kay:

Oh, I have a picture of the wicked sunburn I obtained. Other group. From the other day =D

No, you guys have had a mild one so far. Spoke with my mom yesterday, said it hit a whopping 65? At least you won't likely get over a 100 like last year!

katy_kay
by on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Quoting MamaScorpio88:

Quoting katy_kay:

Quoting MamaScorpio88:

Quoting katy_kay:

Oh, I have a picture of the wicked sunburn I obtained. Other group. From the other day =D

No, you guys have had a mild one so far. Spoke with my mom yesterday, said it hit a whopping 65? At least you won't likely get over a 100 like last year!

not there so I missed your sunburn. 

We could still get a hot summer, it's too early to know for sure. 

Peanutx3
by Ruby Member on Jun. 3, 2010 at 7:51 PM

I am really hoping for another hot summer.  

Quoting katy_kay:

Quoting MamaScorpio88:

Quoting katy_kay:

Quoting MamaScorpio88:

Quoting katy_kay:

not there so I missed your sunburn. 

We could still get a hot summer, it's too early to know for sure. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)