Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

..Dog Killed after getting into neighbor's yard..Was He Right?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:51 AM
  • 93 Replies

I was looking at the news online and I saw this article. I was shocked so many people where actually defending the dog owner. I think that if an animal comes on your property and acts in a threatening manner then you should have the right to defend yourself. I think 4 shots might been much though-  What do you think?  I hate when strays or other neighbors pets wonder in my yard.  

.Camden, SC (WLTX) - A family in Camden is emotionally charged after their dog was shot and killed for wandering onto a neighbor's property.

A man is charged with Breach of the Peace while another is charged with malicious injury to property; it happened Wednesday night after James Douglas King shot the Brazell's dog 'Homie' four times.

"He was so playful", a tearful Brandon Bradwell sits on his porch, sobbing over the death of his year and a half old dog 'Homie'. After letting the dog out into the back yard to use the bathroom, 'Homie' jumped the fence and wandered into a neighbor's yard. That's when Brandon heard gunshots from his neighbor's house.

"I heard a dog yelp, and then ka-pow, ka-pow, ka-pow, ka-pow. It sounded like a jet engine over my house."

Brandon ran around the side of the house to see what happened. There's where he saw his neighbor standing over his dog with a .45 caliber revolver.

"I said, why you shooting my dog? Why you shooting my dog? That's when i ran into the house and got (my dad)", said fifteen year old Bradwell, "he fell on his back and was wagging his tail at me, and I couldn't do nothing".

His neighbor King was charged with malicious injury to property while Brandon's dad Barry, was charged with Breach of Peace, for causing a commotion in front of law enforcement and threatening King.

According to the Kershaw County Sheriff's incident report, "King said he walked outside and the dog was in his yard and he tried to run the dog off with a PVC pipe. He states that the dog charged him and he went inside and got his pistol and shot the dog four times."

But who is right? A neighbor may have killed his dog; but according to the law, the dog should not have been on the neighbor's property. It's something Brandon says he will never forget.

"It's the worse thing I have ever seen in my life."

There will be a court hearing in Camden at the Kershaw County Court on June 15th.

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 10:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
yomamaporter
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:05 AM

Shooting a dog four time since extremely excessive. The man went inside the house, he wasn't in any danger- why didn't he call the cops or animal control to handle it?

Joqui
by Joqui on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:06 AM

If a dog comes into my yard the first thing I do is try to contact the owners of the dog if I know them, the second thing I do is call the ASPCA if still then no one is able to come get the dog I would pepper spray the dog ... I would never shoot someone elses dog, but I UNDERSTAND when someone does.. we use to live by a farmer and our neighbors dog would get out every so often to chase the cows.. the farmer warned our neighbor several times that if he didn't get his dog he would end up shooting it eventually.. We've since moved but I feel that the farmer had every right to shoot the dog... the dog was being a nuisance and disturbing his property... again, I would never shoot someone's dog but I understand completely when someone does...

denise3680
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:06 AM

Can you say overkill, The dog probably felt threatened when the man came out of the house with a pipe yelling and acting like a nut.  He did not have to shot the dog he could have shot in the air and the dog probably would have run off.  well he would be a killing machine here where I live, there are more stray dogs in ppls yard than there is grass.

Thomigirl
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:15 AM

There are people that are DEATHLY afraid of dogs (raises hands).  We have NO IDEA how scared this person was.

Quoting yomamaporter:

Shooting a dog four time since extremely excessive. The man went inside the house, he wasn't in any danger- why didn't he call the cops or animal control to handle it?

fliptopz4
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:21 AM

I understand this home owner shooting this dog. My BIL had to shoot his neighbors pit bull  because it came in their yard then had them trapped in the house. he shot the dog in the head but it lived the Animal control came and picked it up and put it to sleep not because he was shot but because he was a danger to the community.

yomamaporter
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Quoting Thomigirl:

There are people that are DEATHLY afraid of dogs (raises hands).  We have NO IDEA how scared this person was.

Quoting yomamaporter:

OK...but that doesn't answer why when he already went inside to get his gun did he not close the door behind him (dogs can't open doors) and call the police? Nothing in this aricle says the man was in any kind of danger...he wasn't cornered- he went in his house. 

The government can’t give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. -Dr. Adrian Rogers

yomamaporter
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:28 AM

Quoting fliptopz4:

I understand this home owner shooting this dog. My BIL had to shoot his neighbors pit bull  because it came in their yard then had them trapped in the house. he shot the dog in the head but it lived the Animal control came and picked it up and put it to sleep not because he was shot but because he was a danger to the community.

He was trapped in his house and couldn't use the phone to call the police? Seems ridiculous.

Unless your outside, with no where to run, being phycially attacked or threatened- I can understand. But inside your house? Come on now... call the police.

The government can’t give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. -Dr. Adrian Rogers

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:29 AM

Quoting Thomigirl:

Quoting yomamaporter:

My two boys are irrationally afraid of dogs.  Wouldn't matter if the dog were blind, deaf, and had three legs, it would terrify my boys.  I think his actions were excessive, but I believe the (can't believe I'm saying this) dog killer was within his rights.  However, I need more details to be certain. 

yomamaporter
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:35 AM

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting Thomigirl:

Quoting yomamaporter:

My two boys are irrationally afraid of dogs.  Wouldn't matter if the dog were blind, deaf, and had three legs, it would terrify my boys.  I think his actions were excessive, but I believe the (can't believe I'm saying this) dog killer was within his rights.  However, I need more details to be certain. 

But why? He was inside his house...away from harm's way.

JoshiRachelsMom
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 11:36 AM

I'd be interested to know what breed of dog this was.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)