Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

can someone please explain in plain simple english what this is all about?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:42 PM
  • 53 Replies

Ok, at one time we were "friends" (I use this loosely) with Israel, Pakistan etc.

Now I'm sooo confused with all the stories coming out saying this/that/ban this/ban that etc.

What exactly is going on with Israel, Palestine and all that I should REALLY be concerned about?

I know several of you momma's are very knowledgeable about all of this.  I've gone on CNN, MSNBC, FOX etc. and really can't get a simple explanation of what the heck is going on lately!!

HELP??!!!

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lindseyfam5
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:53 PM

Your going to get an ear full now.  All, I want to tell you is be sure to thoroughly look into both sides before you form an opinion.  There is a lot of conflicting info on the conflict and a lot of bias.  It's hard to weed through it.  Good Luck  :D

MooiMeisie
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 5:56 PM

Quoting starlight1968:

Ok, at one time we were "friends" (I use this loosely) with Israel, Pakistan etc.

Now I'm sooo confused with all the stories coming out saying this/that/ban this/ban that etc.

What exactly is going on with Israel, Palestine and all that I should REALLY be concerned about?

I know several of you momma's are very knowledgeable about all of this.  I've gone on CNN, MSNBC, FOX etc. and really can't get a simple explanation of what the heck is going on lately!!

HELP??!!!

I can understand the frustration and confusion, since Americans are presented a very partial account through their media.

Check out this thread for some more information

If Americans Knew...

mrs_khan07
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:23 PM

A great place to start would be to go to youtube and watch Occupation 101. An eye-opening video if there ever was one. It goes into detail about the history of the conflict. I would love to elaborate but I must cook dinner so I will be back. I'm sure you've already figured this out, but you won't find any real answers in the MSM, not on this situation, or ANY situation. I will not hesitate to compare what the israelis are doing to the Palestinians to what the nazis did to the Jews. It is a crime against humanity.

Mrs. Khan

LuvNMyBbs
by Bronze Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:43 PM

Here is how I understand it...  In the 1940s Palestinians were forcibly removed/eradicated from their lands so it could be given to the Jews/Israelis.  Since then the Palestinians have had their space continuously made smaller and smaller.  I don't want to make light of this, it is being done in a bloody and merciless way.  In response to the lack of help from their own government the Palestinians in 2000, when they had the opportunity to vote democratically, voted in Hamas.  Hamas is seen by many to be a radical organization devoted to wiping the Jews/Israelis from the region.  Most people believe that the only reason they were voted in is because they offered more actual public services for the Palestinians literally stranded in the confines of the Gaza Strip with very limited access to even the most basic necessities than the outgoing Fatah which was overwhelmingly corrupt and did very little to help Palestinians.  Instead choosing to make deals that provided comfort for very few and lined their own pockets.    Since then the Israelis have continued to push inward onto the Palestinian lands.  Brutally murdering any Palestinian they have the least excuse to.  Many they have no excuse to including women and children.  Their reasoning being that every time they militarily back away from the Gaza strip Hamas begins firing weapons at neighboring areas to try and retake land that once belonged to them.  In all fairness I have read reports that include people throwing rocks as them launching weapons.  There is no simple answer here.  Hamas leaders have been recorded repeatedly wishing death to Israel and talking about driving the Jews into the sea.  Israel is still pushing into the boundaries of the Gaza strip and withholding vital and needed supplies using Hamas as an excuse.  Gaza is completely land locked and no supplies can be brought in unless it passes Israeli inspection.  They allow very little through.  Personally I side with the roughly 4.5 million Palestinian people who have been driven from their own homes and are persecuted continuously.  That doesn't mean that Hamas has not done and said things that have hurt their own people.  The most difficult part of all of this is that we know millions of American tax dollars are going to the Israelis daily even though they continue these horrific abuses.

This is the very basic understanding I have of what is going on there without any breaks to Google anything or even double check my spelling.  I am sure many of the more informed ladies here will be correcting the things I have said inaccurately. 

Military Mamas...review your base and see what others have said at http://www.baseofpreference.com/

Redteux
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:51 PM

In plain English?

Over 6000 years' worth of history, Starlight.  It's a mess.

The Romans razed Jerusalem in approximately 70 AD, and kicked the Jews out of ancient Israel.  This is called the Diaspora.  The Jews scattered to the four winds - North Africa, India, Russia, and Europe.  The Christians were also persecuted - think Roman gladiators and the catacombs.  But when Rome fell to Alaric and the Visigoths in 410 AD, all Roman control ended.  The Eastern Roman Empire still ruled through Constantinople, but with the rise of Islam in the 600's AD, the last remnants of the Roman Empire disintegrated.  The waves of bubonic plague certainly didn't help, either.

Either way - Jerusalem and ancient Israel were left unattended, for lack of a better word.  But all the wars and political maneuvering of the Roman Church in Europe took its toll, and European eyes turned to the Middle East for plunder and power.  Hence the Crusades.  That crap lasted for a thousand years.  And don't forget invasions from the East, at the same time.  Attila the Hun, the Mongol Khans, the Mughals, etc.  All kinds of chaos and upheaval.

I don't think even the most well-read, educated scholars can comprehend the depth of the history.  It's just too damn much.  We're talking about the cradle of civilization.  The dawn of time.  The beginning of history as we know it.

This goes way past "he said/she said".

muslimah
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:52 PM

What most people call israel was originally a country called Palestine.  It is located in the Middle East. The country consisted of Palestinian Christians, Muslims, and Jews.

After world war 2 ended the U.S., The United Nations (U.N.) and Britain were faced with the dilemma of where to place all the displaced Jews from Europe. Many different places were up consideration including the U.S. and England. But ironically even though they were the 2 main players in finding them a home they they didn't want to be bothered with having them in their own country so they placed them in Palestine.

The Jews of Europe had by now established The World Zionist Organization that has been in the making since it's founder Theodore Herlz (an Austrian Jew) founded it and built it up to be world power starting in 1896 . Their agenda from the start was to make a homeland for the Jews in Palestine and rid it of it's original Arab population.

Backed by the U.S. and Britain the Zionist did move into Palestine in May 1948 and established/created what is known as israel. We call this day the Nabka (an Arabic word meaning the disaster in English)

When the Zionist arrived to Palestine they evicted 750,000 Palestinian Christians, Muslims, and all other non-Jews from their homes in nothing but the clothes they were standing in and sent them to refugee camps just like Hitler had previously did to the Jews of Europe.

62 years later today they are still continuing to evict Palestinians from their homes and putting them in refugee camps to make way for more israeli settlement. These refugee camps are scattered all over in Gaza, The West Bank (what is left of Palestine), Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, and some of the refugees were lucky enough to make it here to the U.S.

Many of them were/are not even lucky enough to see the refugee camp as they were slaughtered by the hundreds for refusing to leave their homes.  As I said earlier the main agenda of the Political Zionist movement which is now the government of israel was to rid the land of Arabs and hundreds of thousands maybe even millions have been ethnically cleansed and still are today.

israel has also put up a big wall that divides the regions to keep Palestinians behind it. This wall even goes right through some of their back yards preventing them getting to their own farms and orchards which is their livelihood.

Not only do they have this wall keeping Palestinians behind the largest open air prison in the world but they also have check points like you seen the children in the pictures trying to get through to go th school. These check points not only prevent the Palestinians from getting to school but places of employment, they are preventented from getting through to see family and friends on the other side and reaching medical care/treatment. Hundreds of babies are born each year on the ground at the check point often resulting in death of the baby, mother, or both because they were not allowed through to the hospital.

Now here is the fucked up part....

israel is Americas closest friend and ally (that's why you don't hear about this in the media)

If you work or pay taxes you are supporting this illegal occupation and holocaust of Palestine.

The U.S. sends a minimum of 7 million a day to israel of tax payers hard earned money. 7 million is just the minimum and does not include forgiven debts and military aid that they also provide.

Here are the statics from last last decade that were provided by the recommended site by one of the ladies above... If Americans Knew

124 Israeli children have been killed by Palestinians and 1,441 Palestinian children have been killed by Israelis since September 29, 2000

1,072 Israelis and at least 6,348 Palestinians have been killed since September 29, 2000.

8,864 Israelis and 39,019 Palestinians have been injured since September 29, 2000.

During Fiscal Year 2009, the U.S. is providing Israel with at least $7.0 million per day in military aid and $0 in military aid to the Palestinians.

Israel has been targeted by at least 65 UN resolutions and the Palestinians have been targeted by none.

1 Israeli is being held prisoner by Palestinians, while 7,383 Palestinians are currently imprisoned by Israel.

0 Israeli homes have been demolished by Palestinians and 24,145 Palestinian homes have been demolished by Israel since 1967

The Israeli unemployment rate is 6.1%, while the Palestinian unemployment in the West Bank is 16.3% and 41.3% in Gaza.

Israel currently has 223 Jewish-only settlements and ‘outposts’ built on confiscated Palestinian land. Palestinians do not have any settlements on Israeli land.

http://www.ifamericansknew.org/

Occupation 101 is also very informative and highly recommended

Part 5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-ZHRPHrOsI&feature=related

part 6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Agn1dHqQlzY&feature=related

part 7: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ErOsqvO-qsQ&feature=related

part 8: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg1WdXtQtiI&feature=related

Part 9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znwZJ5iKzbc&feature=related

part10: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-hOQeV8K5o&feature=related

part 11: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TK5yanZwz5Q&feature=related

part 12: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4jHuy8NtS0&feature=related

katzero
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:06 PM

A lot of the info you are going to recieve here is very biased. I would suggest looking up articles on Fox, CNN, etc. and draw your own conclusions.

muslimah
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Quoting katzero:

A lot of the info you are going to recieve here is very biased. I would suggest looking up articles on Fox, CNN, etc. and draw your own conclusions.

Oh fuck you mean look into the Zionist owned, run, and supporting sources. Why do you think most Americans don't know the details? Why do you think it is not reported on the above stated? If it were the majority of Americans would not be ignorant to the situation.

Because not only are they Zionist run and owned but just like American politics, American media also is bound by A.I.P.A.C. (American israel Public, Affairs Committee) and The israel Lobby.

I think the first hand accounts of the people who have actually not only lived through it and are living through it in addition to those Americans who have went up against A.I.P.A.C. and The israel Lobby would probably have a damn good idea of what they are talking about and they are the people responsible for the making of Occupation 101.

To you anything that is not catering to the Zionist (who have much history to hide) is "biased". Furthermore if I might add through out the many debates I have seen you contribute no knowledge either way...

katzero
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:38 PM

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting katzero:

Oh fuck you mean look into the Zionist owned, run, and supporting sources. Why do you think most Americans don't know the details? Why do you think it is not reported on the above stated? If it were the majority of Americans would not be ignorant to the situation.

Because not only are they Zionist run and owned but just like American politics, American media also is bound by A.I.P.A.C. (American israel Public, Affairs Committee) and The israel Lobby.

I think the first hand accounts of the people who have actually not only lived through it and are living through it in addition to those Americans who have went up against A.I.P.A.C. and The israel Lobby would probably have a damn good idea of what they are talking about and they are the people responsible for the making of Occupation 101.

To you anything that is not catering to the Zionist (who have much history to hide) is "biased". Furthermore if I might add through out the many debates I have seen you contribute no knowledge either way...

That is not true. You have not posted one objective post on the subject. Everything is 100% pro-Palestine and anti-Israel. That is a far more biased form of information than the information she will recieve from CNN or Fox.

mamadixon
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:40 PM

Quoting katzero:

Quoting muslimah:

Quoting katzero:

That is not true. You have not posted one objective post on the subject. Everything is 100% pro-Palestine and anti-Israel. That is a far more biased form of information than the information she will recieve from CNN or Fox.

LOL...WAKE UP.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)