Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do you tan?

Posted by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:52 PM
  • 36 Replies

Can you get a tan, or do you just burn over and over?  I'm Cherokee Indian, I get very dark brown.  My Caucasian husband tans, but he turns more of a golden color.  His pasty white siblings can only turn various shades of pink and red.  And I have to admit I was a little shocked when I learned many many moons ago that black people tan (does that sound rude?  Someone let me know if I'm being rude).  I was very young and noticed that my friend had tan lines.  I don't know why I was so surprised, but I guess it had just never come up in conversation.  So anyway, can you tan?

by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
youngmm
by Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 6:54 PM
Im mexican and light skin..i dont go tanning but when im out in the sun i get a tan.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Hearts_n_Stars
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:00 PM

Quoting youngmm:

Im mexican and light skin..i dont go tanning but when im out in the sun i get a tan.

me too.. i tan really easily here in Arizona.. my husband is Caucasian, and he burns... then it turns into a tan.. my oldest is Casper white.. he wears a shirt, hat, and SPF 100 when he plays outside.. my youngest, he can tan.. i put sunblock on him, but he tans anyways.. he looks like a California surfer after a day out at the pool..

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:03 PM

Quoting Hearts_n_Stars:

Quoting youngmm:

me too.. i tan really easily here in Arizona.. my husband is Caucasian, and he burns... then it turns into a tan.. my oldest is Casper white.. he wears a shirt, hat, and SPF 100 when he plays outside.. my youngest, he can tan.. i put sunblock on him, but he tans anyways.. he looks like a California surfer after a day out at the pool..

That is how we are.  We use sunscreen, but after a day at the pool in the Texas sun, we are all brown as can be.  And we go to the pool almost every day.

katzero
by Silver Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:03 PM

I start hitting the tanning bed in the Winter, and I don't burn as bad in the Summer.

StellarJKD
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:04 PM

I am super pale, and don't tan if I lay out. I can tan in a tanning bed, but I can't afford it!

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:08 PM

My nickname as a kid was domino... becuase I get so dark that all you can see is the whites of my eyes (according to my late great-uncle).  When I was in my late teens I took tetracycline and ignored Dr. Lewis's instructions to not drink milk and go out in the sun.  I drank milk (I lived on my ex's dairy farm) and I am a sun lover.  Needless to say, that was hte first year I burned and since that summer I swear I lost some of my pigmetation.  LOL 

Now - I turn a nice St Tropix brown.  :-)  My kids #1 is lighter than me but darkens up quite easily. #2&3 are darker than me and tan faster than I do.  #4 takes after his dad and turns that goldenish color. 

When #4 was a baby, I remember standing at the sunblock section and staring in bewilderment trying to figure out how to protect a white baby's skin.  LMAO  I ended up buying the highest baby SPF I could find.   

mamadixon
by Gold Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Never on purpose, but yes...easily.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Quoting ThatTXMom:

My nickname as a kid was domino... becuase I get so dark that all you can see is the whites of my eyes (according to my late great-uncle).  When I was in my late teens I took tetracycline and ignored Dr. Lewis's instructions to not drink milk and go out in the sun.  I drank milk (I lived on my ex's dairy farm) and I am a sun lover.  Needless to say, that was hte first year I burned and since that summer I swear I lost some of my pigmetation.  LOL 

Now - I turn a nice St Tropix brown.  :-)  My kids #1 is lighter than me but darkens up quite easily. #2&3 are darker than me and tan faster than I do.  #4 takes after his dad and turns that goldenish color. 

When #4 was a baby, I remember standing at the sunblock section and staring in bewilderment trying to figure out how to protect a white baby's skin.  LMAO  I ended up buying the highest baby SPF I could find.   

Dr Lewis!  Every Indian child in eastern OK knows Dr Lewis!!!

Mandipants
by on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:25 PM

I'm pretty olive toned. I spent 10 years as a whitewater raft guide though so I now take huge measures to block the sun as I feel that did enough damage (although I was  a protector then too--I just LIVED in the sun and that'll get you despite protections). I tan very easily. I can get pretty brown if I allow it.

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Jun. 13, 2010 at 7:31 PM

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting ThatTXMom:

Dr Lewis!  Every Indian child in eastern OK knows Dr Lewis!!!

I remember freaking out the first time I had to see Dr. Hung.  He was a very nice man, but he was NOT Dr. Lewis.  Do you remember the other Pediatrician before Dr. Hung?  I can't think of his name. Will have to ask my Momma.  I was very, very young (think 2-4) when he left.  I really liked him better than Dr Lewis.  Dr. Lewis' hair kinda freked me out a bit. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)