Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

US should better define, counter Islamic extremism

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:38 AM
  • 11 Replies

WASHINGTON – The Obama administration's recent move to drop references to Islamic radicalism is drawing fire in a new report warning the decision ignores the role religion can play in motivating terrorists.

In the report, scheduled to be released this week, counterterrorism experts from the Washington Institute for Near East Policy argue that the U.S. could clearly articulate the threat from radical Islamic extremists "without denigrating the Islamic religion in any way."

President Barack Obama has argued that words matter, and administration officials have said that the use of inflammatory descriptions linking Islam to the terror threat feed the enemy's propaganda and may alienate moderate Muslims in the U.S.

Terror leaders "play into the false perception that they are religious leaders defending a holy cause, when in fact they are nothing more than murderers, including the murder of thousands upon thousands of Muslims," said top administration counterterror deputy John Brennan during a May 24 speech explaining the shift. He added that "describing our enemy in religious terms would lend credence to the lie — propagated by al-Qaida and its affiliates to justify terrorism — that the United States is somehow at war against Islam."

"In my view, using 'Islamic extremist' and other variations of that phrase does not bring us closer to this objective," Brennan said in a letter to Lieberman. "Rather, the phrase lumps a diverse set of organizations, with different motivations, goals, capabilities and justifications for their actions, into a single group in a way that may actually be counterproductive."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100712/ap_on_go_pr_wh/us_terrorism_rhetoric

"Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity." Martin Luther King, Jr.

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
muslimah
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:08 AM

I guess I don't notice it because I do live in the largest Muslim population in North America (The Detroit metro area) where Islamic and Muslim presence is a regular thing and not at all out of the ordinary.

At 39 years old the highest level of it I have ever seen or experiencedis here on this site. I guess when you are dealing with people from all over many who have there head in the sand and never even seen a Muslim in their entire life except for on TV then it is to be expected.

Those who do have their head burried in the sand need to pull it out and get over theirself. We are the 2nd largest religion in the U.S. only 2nd in numbers behind all sects of Christianity put together and the fastest growing.

So they can either deal with it or not and let the latter be their own problem.

I am lucky to have had the opportunity to grow up here and have not had to deal with very much stupidity and feel for what I hear of that other Muslims go through which I never realised until I started using this site.

I think being here in the main and largest population of Muslims in North America is like living in a different world all together than most other Muslims across the country.

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:40 AM

People fear what they do not understand.  What is worse is that many people do not want to understand because then who (or waht) will they fear? It is easier to point a finger and throw accusations than it is to accept the fear that sometimes there is no clearly defined "enemy"... why don't all terrorists have an "x" branded on their forehead to make them easy to identify?!

In other words not knowing is worse to them than having a target to blame.   If they chose a broad target, then they are sure to hit their mark - at least some of the time.

nysa76
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:49 AM

How about let's stop linking the terrorists with a real, honest and good religion.  They are extremists, they are terrorists.  They do not represent Muslims.  At least not from what I see or hear.

tericared
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:24 PM

Great points all 3 of you....

Della529
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:27 PM

BUMP!

jess61208
by Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 12:06 AM

A big bump for those who see all Muslims as terrorists and post disrespectful/ uneducated comments about the Muslim faith.  I hope you will read this article with an open mind. 

sineado39
by Silver Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 1:25 AM

Quoting jess61208:

A big bump for those who see all Muslims as terrorists and post disrespectful/ uneducated comments about the Muslim faith.  I hope you will read this article with an open mind. 

jess61208
by Member on Jul. 13, 2010 at 3:30 PM

BUMP!

OhiogirlinCali
by on Jul. 13, 2010 at 4:16 PM

I don't think religious terms should be used.  Terrorists come from around the world with many faiths.  Some of them may be using religion as an excuse for their agendas, but that is a misinterpretation of the religion itself.  The government, media, etc, should not be spewing hatred , even if it's unintended, by using religious terms in the wrong context. 

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jul. 13, 2010 at 4:22 PM
bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)