Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not taxpayers' task to finance oil spill cleanup

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:24 AM
  • 11 Replies

A national grassroots organization is outraged that Democrats in Congress are pushing a bill that would raise taxes to pay for the cleanup of the Gulf oil spill.

Throughout the current oil spill crisis, President Obama has repeatedly promised taxpayers that BP would be held responsible for cleaning up the oil spill and would "pay every dime" of related damages.

But Phil Kerpen, vice president for policy at Americans for Prosperity, reports that new legislation -- called "restoring Oil Spill Liability Trust Fund solvency" -- is moving through Congress. The measure would force hard-pressed U.S. taxpayers to foot the BP spill bill through an $18.3 billion tax hike on gasoline, diesel fuel, and heating oil. He contends that at the very least, "one way or another" Americans are being "deceived."

Phil Kerpen (Americans for Prosperity)"Either our tax dollars are being used for the spill response and we're going to be forced to pay for restoring that solvency with this tax hike, or this tax hike has nothing to do with the oil spill liability and they just want to use that as an excuse to take another $18.3 billion from our pocket and then raid it out of the trust fund for other unrelated spending," Kerpen laments. "Either way, I think it's deeply problematic and worthy of a lot more scrutiny."

He notes that only 57 Democratic senators have signed on to the bill, so he hopes they will not be able get the other three votes necessary to break a Republican filibuster and send this legislation to President Obama's desk.

http://www.onenewsnow.com/Politics/Default.aspx?id=1082994

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
nysa76
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:41 AM

Americans will end up paying the bill for this one way or another.  That's just how it works here.  Not many can afford more taxes or bigger bills but that seems to be how this stuff works.  Banks, auto makers, oil companies...

BMW0508
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 8:50 AM
why shouldn't we pay for it? We pay for everything else, including illegal alien heathcare. Personally the oil spill is where i'd rather my taxes go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
40isfun
by Christi on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:02 AM

Lord have mercy while the government is trying to convince us that the enemy is overseas or across the border, they are hoping we will not notice the enemy within.

40isfun
by Christi on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:04 AM

Quoting BMW0508:

why shouldn't we pay for it? We pay for everything else, including illegal alien heathcare. Personally the oil spill is where i'd rather my taxes go.

"Illegal aliens" also get used for cheap labor.  We need to stop blaming the little people and start holding those who are benefiting from all of this accountable.  The same folks who stand to gain frorm us paying for the oil spill are the same ones who gain from us thinking some Mexicans are really responsible for ruining our economy.

SMH

Raintree
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:13 AM

Quoting 40isfun:

Quoting BMW0508:

"Illegal aliens" also get used for cheap labor.  We need to stop blaming the little people and start holding those who are benefiting from all of this accountable.  The same folks who stand to gain frorm us paying for the oil spill are the same ones who gain from us thinking some Mexicans are really responsible for ruining our economy.

SMH

Absolutely.

Another thing- this OP is from American's for Prosperity- therefore- more research will be necessary.

I do not- however- think we should pay for the clean-up. Unless you were singing/chanting Drill Baby Drill during the last campaign season.

40isfun
by Christi on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Quoting Raintree:

Quoting 40isfun:

Quoting BMW0508:

SMH

Absolutely.

Another thing- this OP is from American's for Prosperity- therefore- more research will be necessary.

I do not- however- think we should pay for the clean-up. Unless you were singing/chanting Drill Baby Drill during the last campaign season.

I don't think we should pay for it either It's ridiculous.  And we should not be naive enough to think that the oil companies aren't making money off of this spill.  They can capture this oil and use it all while it's polluting our environment.  So they should be forced to pay every dime for the clean up.

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:24 AM

On the one hand, I think taxpayers should nopt be left on the hook.  On the other hand, I think we should just clean it up and then go after BP and all of their officers - applying interest to any costs associated.

There are few things worse than having someone tell me "it's not my department".  

mommabear82
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:25 AM

While I feel that it isn't the taxpayer's responsibility to pay for the clean up, this is our Earth, the only home we have, we should all care enough to try and help in any way possible. Even if it is to cut the amount of energy we use whether it be gas or diesel or anything else. If this continues to get worse we won't have a home. Money is the root to all of our problems. Everything is about money, it's sad that no matter how far we advance there is still destruction plaguing our planet all for the sake of money. So sad.

40isfun
by Christi on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:42 AM

Quoting ThatTXMom:

On the one hand, I think taxpayers should nopt be left on the hook.  On the other hand, I think we should just clean it up and then go after BP and all of their officers - applying interest to any costs associated.

There are few things worse than having someone tell me "it's not my department".  

Very good point/solution.

40isfun
by Christi on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:43 AM

And keep in mind we're not just talking about cleaning up.  We're still talking about closing the hole.  It's still spilling.  This is a major catastrophe--seems to be the worst of its kind.  BP does not have a right to be arrogant about this now.  I don't care if it bankrupts the company.  They need to pay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)