Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hotel Backs Out Of Hosting Muslim Group

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:16 AM
  • 38 Replies

Quote:

CHICAGO — A controversial Muslim group has canceled its annual U.S. conference after a suburban Chicago hotel backed out of hosting the event.

American members of Hizb ut-Tahrir (HIHZ'-buht-ah-tuh-REER') planned to hold the event Sunday at a Marriott hotel in Oak Brook. Conference organizer Ayman Hamed says about 1,000 people were expected.

But he says the hotel sent a cancellation notice and refund without explanation about two weeks ago. The daylong event has drawn protesters in the past.

The group advocates establishing a worldwide Islamic state. Its members don't openly advocate violence, and it isn't considered a terrorist group by the U.S. government.

The hotel didn't respond to calls and e-mails for comment.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/07/11/oak-brook-hotel-backs-out_n_642419.html

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:58 AM
The hotel only gave them two weeks notice they were cancelling an event for 1,000 people? Harsh. They may have legal recourse.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Heath77
by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 1:33 AM

I am just curious as to why such a hotel would host a conference where the people speaking are advocating establishing a worldwide islamic state in the first place! I don't get that. I think more background info. is needed. They did get a refund and two weeks notice, sorry but that doesn't sound too bad to me.

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jul. 14, 2010 at 1:53 AM

Quoting Heath77:

I am just curious as to why such a hotel would host a conference where the people speaking are advocating establishing a worldwide islamic state in the first place! I don't get that. I think more background info. is needed. They did get a refund and two weeks notice, sorry but that doesn't sound too bad to me.

Say you're in charge of putting together a convention for 1,000 people.  The venue would be the first thing you would secure.  Now imagine you have the invitations sent out and 1,000 RSVPs.  The caterers are booked, the speakers lined up, and all the documentation you require for the day is printed.  Now imagine 2 weeks before your event the venue cancels your reservation with no warning or explanation.  You are now out the cost of the invitations and the RSVPs, plus you will have to have more printed if you are able to find a new venue.  The caterer won't refund your deposit because they ordered 500 steaks for your event and now they have to sit on those 500 steaks.  Your printed items are now useless as they have the wrong location listed.  You are out hundreds / thousands of dollars, but the hotel gave you back your deposit and 2 weeks notice because they seem to have suddenly decided they are against your politics.  Oh yeah, you better believe a law suit is coming.

tericared
by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 1:56 AM

Quoting LauraKW:

Quoting Heath77:

Say you're in charge of putting together a convention for 1,000 people.  The venue would be the first thing you would secure.  Now imagine you have the invitations sent out and 1,000 RSVPs.  The caterers are booked, the speakers lined up, and all the documentation you require for the day is printed.  Now imagine 2 weeks before your event the venue cancels your reservation with no warning or explanation.  You are now out the cost of the invitations and the RSVPs, plus you will have to have more printed if you are able to find a new venue.  The caterer won't refund your deposit because they ordered 500 steaks for your event and now they have to sit on those 500 steaks.  Your printed items are now useless as they have the wrong location listed.  You are out hundreds / thousands of dollars, but the hotel gave you back your deposit and 2 weeks notice because they seem to have suddenly decided they are against your politics.  Oh yeah, you better believe a law suit is coming.

I do hope they sue......They shouldnt have booked them in the first place if they didnt like what they stand for..

katzero
by Silver Member on Jul. 14, 2010 at 2:18 AM

Good, and Marriott has every right to do so.

Kaelansmom
by on Jul. 14, 2010 at 3:04 AM

Oi, does that mean I can reserve the room, make all the plans and then back out 2 weeks before and get my money back???

If they didn't like the message, they should not have booked them, period. I hope the groups sues..

Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jul. 14, 2010 at 3:21 AM

Didn't you know freedom of speech and of association is under attack here in 'Mer-uh kuh...and ironically enough, much of this erosion is b/c of the *choke, cough..* Patriot Act?

kerryket
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2010 at 6:53 AM

Girl shot as Hamas breaks up Islamist rally in Gaza

(AFP)

13 July 2010,

GAZA CITY - A young girl was shot and seriously wounded Tuesday when Hamas-run police broke up a rally held by a small non-violent Islamist party in the Gaza Strip, witnesses said.

Hamas security forces fired shots in the air and beat several people as they sought to prevent the rally held by Hezb al-Tahrir (The Liberation Party) after the group refused demands to cancel the event.

A medic at a nearby hospital confirmed that the girl had been admitted. The medic and witnesses would only speak on condition of anonymity and did not provide further details for fear of retribution.

The party said Hamas police attacked its members as they made their way to the rally after evening prayers, and arrested dozens of people.

An AFP photographer was also briefly detained during the incident.

Hamas declined to comment on the unrest.

Hezb al-Tahrir, a worldwide party founded in 1953 with small branches in several Western and Muslim countries, calls for the peaceful revival of an Islamic caliphate, or state, to replace modern governments.

Its ideology differs from that of Hamas, which is focused on eliminating Israel through armed struggle and establishing an Islamic state on what is now Israel, the West Bank and the Gaza Strip.

It is also separate from more radical Islamist groups in Gaza that espouse an Al-Qaeda-like ideology. One such group fought a deadly battle with Hamas forces in August 2009 in which more than 20 people were killed.

The event on Tuesday was to commemorate the fall of the last caliph, or ruler of the Muslim world, a title held by the last Ottoman emperor who was deposed after the World War I.

kerryket
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2010 at 6:57 AM

I do hope she sues,  they should not have shot in the air or have beaten a peaceful gathering, perhaps they have a problem with whose ideal world should be running things.

kerryket
by Bronze Member on Jul. 14, 2010 at 8:03 AM

Tericared, your siggy is beautiful:)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)