Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

University President wants UT to drop the KKK Dorm Name

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:31 AM
  • 12 Replies

President Wants University of Texas to Drop KKK Dorm Name

By Jeff Freeland
Jul 12, 2010
Bookmark and Share

University President William Powers Jr. wants a University of Texas at Austin student dormitory named after a man prominent in the Ku Klux Klan changed.  Simkins Residence Hall, honored a former Ku Klux Klan organizer from the 1800s. Simkins, built in 1954, is named after former UT law professor and Klan organizer William Stewart Simkins .

President William Powers announced Friday he believes the name should be changed.

"I accept and endorse the recommendation of the advisory group, and I will seek the approval of the Board of Regents for removal of the name from the residence hall," said Powers.  

"I value and appreciate the consultative process that led to this decision and the engagement of the community, students, faculty, staff and alumni in this issue."

CNN has a video report. The Univeristy of Texas System Board of Regents still has to ratify the decision.
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:31 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jess61208
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:37 AM

Good for him!  I hope they change it. 

Joqui
by Joqui on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:53 AM

i hope so too.. and I really don't see why they wouldnt :)

Quoting jess61208:

Good for him!  I hope they change it. 

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I am not so big on changing names of buildings and roadways just because of a person being notorious. To me it feels like a way to cover up history.

home-sweet-home
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Uh, yah, that should have been done a long time ago. Or never named that in the first place!

SxyMartini
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:30 PM

yeah I think they should keep it only for history's sake. Shows the true colors of Texas also. 

Joqui
by Joqui on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:30 PM

I thought about that as well, but to me it is a step fwd. we don't cover up history or forget it bc a name isn't there (on a rd or a building) any more, I have to say I wonder why the building was named that to begin with, I would like to know the 'history' of that...

Quoting stormcris:

I am not so big on changing names of buildings and roadways just because of a person being notorious. To me it feels like a way to cover up history.

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:33 PM

You just made my point :) People will never ask that question if the name is changed and a possibly interesting conversation will be lost. Now I must see if I can look up why they honored him.

Quoting Joqui:

I thought about that as well, but to me it is a step fwd. we don't cover up history or forget it bc a name isn't there (on a rd or a building) any more, I have to say I wonder why the building was named that to begin with, I would like to know the 'history' of that...

Quoting stormcris:

Joqui
by Joqui on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:35 PM

LOL... darnit!

well maybe they can do a little plaque that says 'The Building Formerly Known As Simkins"

Quoting stormcris:

You just made my point :) People will never ask that question if the name is changed and a possibly interesting conversation will be lost. Now I must see if I can look up why they honored him.

Quoting Joqui:

Quoting stormcris:

stormcris
by Christy on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Ok sounds like a good solution...LOL

Quoting Joqui:

LOL... darnit!

well maybe they can do a little plaque that says 'The Building Formerly Known As Simkins"

Quoting stormcris:

Quoting Joqui:

Quoting stormcris:

MamaScorpio88
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Uh yeah. That'd be a good idea...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)