Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Six dead in office shooting

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:38 PM
  • 6 Replies

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — A gunman opened fire at a solar and fiber optics manufacturer on Monday, killing five people and wounding four others before killing himself in a domestic violence dispute, police said.

The shooting at Emcore Corp. appeared to involve the gunman's ex-wife or girlfriend, who was among the dead, police Chief Ray Schultz said. He said the gunman was a former employee.

The 37-year-old male had at least one prior run-in involving domestic violence, Schultz said.

Chaos unfolded as the gunman opened fire, sending employees fleeing for cover as police locked down the entire neighborhood.

Six victims were taken to University of New Mexico Hospital, spokesman Billy Sparks said. One was dead on arrival, one died in the operating room and one was still in surgery but expected to be transferred to intensive care soon.

One of the other three was in the hospital's imaging department and two others were in stable condition in the emergency room.

Emcore manufactures components that allow voice, video and data transmission over fiber optic lines. They also manufacture solar power systems for satellite and ground-based systems.

Based in Albuquerque, the company has about 700 full-time employees.

LINK

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Very sad.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:44 PM

I have to wonder if this company allowed their employees to bring personal weapons into their facility. One can always argue the danger of weapons, but I feel the defenseless are always the "most" in danger.

Such a sad story.

elly25
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:45 PM

That is sad and scary.

My grandpa lives there (in that city).

MamaScorpio88
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 2:49 PM

What kind of security did they have here? Was it a place where you could just walk in and out?

Either way, very tragic.

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:31 PM

Well, most companies do not have a lot of security.  I know mine doesn't.

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 3:50 PM

Quoting candlegal:

Well, most companies do not have a lot of security.  I know mine doesn't.

You are right a lot of them do not have security.

I worked at  place that i thought had good security.  It was a daycare center and it was a center that catered to the national labs in our area and other governemnt contractors.  One piece of security that we had was an alarm button.  When you push it the police, the fire department, and another government agency swooped in.  I have to admit it made me feel good.  Then we had a security door between the classrooms and the front door.  Of course next to the key pad is a 4 foot wall with a 3 foot opening to the classroom hallway.  Pretty secure huh?  Looking back on it now I am not as impressed.

Plus lets remember that no security system is going to keep a person that is determined to take his life and others with  from carrying out his plan.  This guy had issues and he seemed determined.  Security doors can only do so much.  Security guards could very well have been the first victims.  Security cameras ONLY tell the story when all of the dust settles.  And alarm buttons let the police know that something is going dwon.  And chances are they should prapare some body bags. 

I always wonder what would have happened if just one of those employees was permitted to have a weapon on them. 

My husband works in a very high security building.  Unfortunatley he is not allowed to carry his weapon into work with him.  Of course I know that even though it is high security there are still ways to get through.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)