Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Work or Pay

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:46 PM
  • 9 Replies

Do you follow the ideal that we should pay for those who are poor or do you feel that everyone has the same chance in life and should have to provide for his or herself?

Do you feel that instead of just giving unemployment benefits that there should be labor attached to earning them?

In the same situation should disability benefits require a person to help his/herself as much as their disability will allow or should the benefits be contingent on them doing volunteer work within the confines of their disability?

Should unemployment and disability payments be kept in an account that is strictly for the individual and not be touched by the government thus once they run out that is it?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 12, 2010 at 5:57 PM

I think these are two issues and need to be attacked separately.

Disability is Insurance and should be paid for by the company with your premiums. It should not run out until your time is up, not cash flow gone.

I can't say I am real familiar with unemployment benefits and how it works. I gather the Gov pays a portion if not all of the benefits after a certain amount of time. I think if you are on unemployment and physically able to do something, you should. Even if this something is just working for the state doing clean up work somewhere, etc.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Disability Insurance is simply your pension taken early. If you go out on SSDI early in your worklife, you certainly aren't getting much. SSDI does provide alternative jobs/work for you, as you're claiming you can't do your previously held job. SSDI is not a handout, or someone else paying you to be a slump. This is something you have already put into the system. So no, there should not be a 'boss' telling you that the only way you can be on disability is if you contribute more work (volunteer or anything).

Unemployment.....well, doesn't that speak for itself? I've often said that prisoners should be made to do the work of many of our town/state employees. There's no reason they can't mow lawns, put up signs, shovel sidewalks, etc. BUT.....if they do.....then all the town/state employees would be unemployed! 

muslimah
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:38 PM

If I am not mistaken I think when on unemployment that you have to prove that you are actively seeking work.

With disability I think if one proves them self to disabled to work then it should not be expected of them whether it be work for pay or for volunteer.

I definitely don't think their money should be tied up in an account for the government to regulate. If it is theirs they should have control over it. If they are not mentally able to control their money I can understand having a guardian.

Redteux
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:11 PM

BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I know I'm gonna get reamed for this one . . . .

I believe everyone in this country has the same opportunities - what you do with those opportunities is up to you.

Yes, I believe unemployment should have labor of some type attached to it.  Same for disability benefits - there are a lot of things disabled people can do, within their limitations.

As for the private account - that's a very good question.  I honestly don't know.

DVD
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:18 PM

Quoting stormcris:

Do you follow the ideal that we should pay for those who are poor or do you feel that everyone has the same chance in life and should have to provide for his or herself? I think everyone has the same chance, i know, I'm proof.

Do you feel that instead of just giving unemployment benefits that there should be labor attached to earning them? If you CAN work you should, labor should be attached. Dunno how that would work though.

In the same situation should disability benefits require a person to help his/herself as much as their disability will allow or should the benefits be contingent on them doing volunteer work within the confines of their disability?This is an individual basis, my step mom is blind and physically disabled but if she could work she would.

Should unemployment and disability payments be kept in an account that is strictly for the individual and not be touched by the government thus once they run out that is it? I didn't know the gov could get to those benefits.

candlegal
by Judy on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:19 PM

The government can get to anything.  Where do you think all of our social security money has gone?

Quoting DVD:

Quoting stormcris:

Do you follow the ideal that we should pay for those who are poor or do you feel that everyone has the same chance in life and should have to provide for his or herself? I think everyone has the same chance, i know, I'm proof.

Do you feel that instead of just giving unemployment benefits that there should be labor attached to earning them? If you CAN work you should, labor should be attached. Dunno how that would work though.

In the same situation should disability benefits require a person to help his/herself as much as their disability will allow or should the benefits be contingent on them doing volunteer work within the confines of their disability?This is an individual basis, my step mom is blind and physically disabled but if she could work she would.

Should unemployment and disability payments be kept in an account that is strictly for the individual and not be touched by the government thus once they run out that is it? I didn't know the gov could get to those benefits.

DangerDarling
by Fabulous on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:22 PM

I study social stratification. The "American Dream" is actually an ideal, not reality. There are a few people who make it into a much higher social class than their parents, but they are the exceptions and not the rule. The benefits you're born with tend to set you up for success or failure. This is not to say that everyone should just give up and be lazy; actually people have to work harder for the same standards that their parents achieved, for the most part. People who have money (which is one of the most decisive factors in social status) have access to better healthcare, better food, more free time (because they can pay people to do things like repair their house and car), better social contacts and more cultural experiences.

Anyway, that was a really long way of saying that everyone doesn't have the same opportunities. I have pretty much the same opinion as everyone else about disability and unemployment insurance.

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:23 PM

I disagree that everybody has the same chance/opportunity.

tornados4
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 9:41 PM

Having been a small business owner, I can say that once your unemployment bennys run out.....that is it.  Employers pay an unemployment insurance to the state and  That is subsidised by the government.  Depending on how much you got paid and how long you work, depends on how much you get.  I DO NOT believe in the redistributionof wealth.  I believe the way the currant system is set up, it is designed to keep people on it or gives people no incentive to improve their situation.  IE:  " I can't work overtime or I will loose my child care benefits"  I have heard this said to me by a friend.  the only thing I can say about disability is that there are probably alot of people on it, who don't need to be on it.  My friend told me that she has a family member on disability because she is fat and has migraine.  Now my friend who's husband was fight cancer was denied his disability benefits from the government.  It seems the system is totally screwed up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)