Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Fat People

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:35 PM
  • 243 Replies

Are you judgemental towards overweight people or parents of obese children?  Would you think twice if you saw a child like this at McDonalds?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
IhartU
by Gold Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:37 PM

I'm judgemental towards obese parents who have obese children because I think they are killing them. I think it's sad and perhaps even a form of child abuse.

PamR
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:39 PM

Yeah, I probably would be judgemental if I saw a child who was this overweight eating junk food.  The thing is, this kid is ruining his health and will die early because his parents didn't correct his diet.  Of course, they are most likely overweight as well. 

ZnEMJW
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:40 PM

This!! If the parent isn't going to take care of their own weight and health, they could at least take care of their child's health and weight.

Quoting IhartU:

I'm judgemental towards obese parents who have obese children because I think they are killing them. I think it's sad and perhaps even a form of child abuse.

ecagle
by Kegel on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:42 PM

Quoting PamR:

Yeah, I probably would be judgemental if I saw a child who was this overweight eating junk food.  The thing is, this kid is ruining his health and will die early because his parents didn't correct his diet.  Of course, they are most likely overweight as well. 

Looking at the picture, I'd agree at first....BUT, what if it's a rare thing that his parents take him to McDs....what if he just has an actual health problem which results in obesity and this McD's trip is a treat?

I do tend to think that feeding your children a fatty, non-nutritious diet is a form of child abuse...

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:46 PM

I admit it, inside I judge. I do have the thought "But what if it is a health issue". Then, I look at the parent. If they are also very overweight it makes me think it is a nutrition(or lack thereof) issue.

ymadaris2
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:49 PM

I would see if the child had health problems. things happens. got to give people the benefit of doubt first. looks are deceiving, things not what it seems.  

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:55 PM
If my kids were 100% perfect and I myself without flaws as a parent, I might then find it appropriate to judge another parent. I'm not do no, I wouldn't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
katzero
by Silver Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:55 PM

Quoting IhartU:

This. It's definitely child abuse, and in my opinion, a CPS-worthy offense.

Della529
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:59 PM

Yes, I have a problem with it because those boys can't be much older than about 7 or 8 years old.  They have supersized drink and fry containers, so one can only determine it was a SUPERSIZED MEAL.

I have a tendency to disagree with the claim of "health issues" considering this seems to have become such a prevalent issue in the past two decades. 

DVD
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:01 PM

Ok, Ill admit it, this is one prejudice i have, well this and smokers. I know there are ppl out there who cant help it but the other 90% needs to just admit they are fat for no good reason. If your child is already this obese you need to be eating at super salad not McD's.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)