Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Eels :)

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:39 PM
  • 6 Replies

If you were travelling to a different country, would you research the culture beforehand to avoid a faux pas?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 6:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
pagancuriosity
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:08 PM

I didn't, when I went to Austrailia...only took me an hour and a half before I was called a "stupid American." Yep, learned my lesson.

DVD
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:11 PM

I cant imagine anyone walking into a foreign situation without having done their research first. All it takes is a few Google searches, how lazy can someone be?

pagancuriosity
by Bronze Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:16 PM

Quoting DVD:

I cant imagine anyone walking into a foreign situation without having done their research first. All it takes is a few Google searches, how lazy can someone be?

Eh, I got called out on the money issue. I didn't know they had a $2 coin...very politely I suggested that I wasn't given all my change...until she flipped a coin over and showed me the 2. That's when I got called a stupid American.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:17 PM

Quoting DVD:

You can't possibly find out everything there is to know about another culture or society by doing a "google search". You can learn a lot, but still end up in a faux pas situation.

Different, but not less~Temple Grandin

DVD
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:19 PM

Thats not too bad, Im sure you could have done a lot worse.

Quoting pagancuriosity:

Quoting DVD:

Eh, I got called out on the money issue. I didn't know they had a $2 coin...very politely I suggested that I wasn't given all my change...until she flipped a coin over and showed me the 2. That's when I got called a stupid American.

DVD
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 7:21 PM

You can start with the basics, like gestures, eating edicate, specific phrases. There are whole sites dedicated to preventing these kinds of mess ups.

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting DVD:

You can't possibly find out everything there is to know about another culture or society by doing a "google search". You can learn a lot, but still end up in a faux pas situation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)