Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

So... what do you do?

Posted by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:45 PM
  • 19 Replies

We all have causes that are near and dear to our heart. 

What causes are you most likely to get involved in and how do you become involved?

Do you have advise for someone who is interested in being proactive but just isn't sure how?

by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:49 PM

I support Habitat for Humanity and usually by writing a check.  Twice I have wanted to get involved in local events... but my kids' schedules prevented me from actually getting involved nad getting my hands dirty.

I support Human Rights.  Again, usually by writing a check or signing petitions.

I support my local food pantry becuase I know what it is like to go to bed hungry at night.  I donate food and clothing.  This year, I think I will try to get my daughter to help me go and wrap gifts during the holidays.  Unfortunately, this is my BUSY season at work.  I will jsut have to find out the schedule as the time draws closer.

Redteux
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 10:54 PM

I'm all about micropreemies - their care, their homecoming, their health, and their education.  I'll probably end up getting involved in the MoD, but their focus is primarily prevention of preterm birth, while mine is more about taking care of the ones we have.  Sure, we need to come up with a "cure" for preterm delivery, but until we do, we have some very fragile miracles to take care of.

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:00 PM

Quoting Redteux:

I'm all about micropreemies - their care, their homecoming, their health, and their education.  I'll probably end up getting involved in the MoD, but their focus is primarily prevention of preterm birth, while mine is more about taking care of the ones we have.  Sure, we need to come up with a "cure" for preterm delivery, but until we do, we have some very fragile miracles to take care of.

Awesome.  My brothers are twins and they were so tiny at 3'9" and 3'12".  I can't imagine them being half that size.  I was 7 when they were born and remember having to visit them in the NICU while they were in incubators with tubes sticking out of everywhere... they couldn't even wear diapers. 

margroc
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:03 PM

I sponsor a child in South America - he's an adorable 3 year old boy. I love it when I get the "mail" from him :)  I canvass in my neighborhood for heart and stroke every February. I also do the cancer walk every year.  I also support hospice in my city with a monthly pledge and volunteer for the humane society.

Redteux
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:04 PM

Quoting ThatTXMom:

Quoting Redteux:

Awesome.  My brothers are twins and they were so tiny at 3'9" and 3'12".  I can't imagine them being half that size.  I was 7 when they were born and remember having to visit them in the NICU while they were in incubators with tubes sticking out of everywhere... they couldn't even wear diapers. 

Mine were born in November - RSV season was in full swing.  The NNICU was locked down.  Only parents and grandparents were allowed in - no siblings, cousins, aunts/uncles, no one.  Mine were placed on an open preemie diaper for I/O's - there was no way to actually button the diaper up.  It was still too big on them.

LOL - I remember when 3 lbs was "big".

Della529
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:29 PM

BUMP!

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:32 PM

Quoting ThatTXMom:

Quoting Redteux:

She is being modest. She wrote a book about it and I must say, it was a pretty great book:)

I walk for Autism and am very involved in the Autism community and offer mentor-ship to parents of newly diagnosed children. There is an entire community of help available for our children when most parents are given no hope or answers at all.

Different, but not less~Temple Grandin

fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:39 PM

This last year I heard about a little girl (one month younger than my son) who was dying from Neuroblastoma.  Her story and the webpage her parents had up just tore into my heart.  She died in March....I felt like I had been punched in the stomach the day she died.....for her memorial service in TX, I called their florist and added more flowers.  Lots of people had done this.....also continued to comment on their webpage to let the family know their pain and suffering was shared by many....and that we wanted to be there for them in whatever small way we could.

I sponsored a child for a few months when I was 18...would have done so longer but I moved and lost contact. 

My softest spot is for children who are hurting, suffering, or lonely and in need of love. 

I also cannot stand Human rights violations.....ESPECIALLY those that are sanctioned by corrupt governments (S. Africa's old apartheid.....Current Zionist apartheid.....or the stonings we've been hearing about lately...of which I signed the petitions). 

Because I have such a softspot for children.....I have a BLACK HATRED of ANYone who hurts a child on purpose.....abuses them physically or psychologically......or kills them.  For their sakes...they better hope to NEVER be in a room alone with me......I'd be a direct threat to their lives...

My other softest spot.....kittycats.  I am a true-blue full-blown cat lady in training.  We already have 6 cats (four indoor and two in our garage).  I would rescue every abused and stray kitty I could if it were possible.  As it is, all of our cats were rescued from unknown fates.  I just love my cats sooo much.  As with children...I HATE people who are cruel to cats or other defenseless animals......  They best steer clear of me.

krystel.justice
by Member on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:44 PM

I used to write letters for Amnesty International, but when they tried to say that abortion was a human right I stopped helping them out. I am pro-life, and plan on taking part in a pro-life march with my parish soon. Educating our children is important to me, so starting next month I will be a part of the "Bay Patriots." They dress up in period clothing and go to local schools to teach kids about our Constitution. I think it would be really fun to play Betsy Ross!

aidans_mama
by on Jul. 12, 2010 at 11:56 PM

I am big into education.  My partner and I have started some organizations that target specific groups to help them excel in school, help them get jobs, community service, volunteering, etc.  It is hard work, but I love it. 

I am just now starting to get involved with some Autism groups around here.  They are okay, but I think I am going to try to start my own for those families around here that aren't military.  Those families are the families have the toughest time finding resources and support.  I also participate in Autism walks. 

I am really into helping the homeless.  I am working on setting up some kind of group that would get homeless people off the street, a place to stay, job skills training, some support to help them get back on their feet. 

I am also working on my 'Daddy's Little Girls' (I'm not calling it this though) organization, still in the planning phase.  It is going to be a group for young girls who have no full-time father figure in their lives.  Main goals of the group is to build self esteem, provide positive male role models for the girls, let the girls connect with other girls their age who have similar circumstances, provide cousneling.  I'm still working on this one.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)