Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Is Polygamy Really Damaging to Society?

A response in another post got me thinking about this.  What is really wrong with polygamy?  Just to be clear, I'm talking about consenting, legal adults.  I'm not talking about underage girls being coerced to marry men who are old enough to be their grandfathers.  But, really, what business is it of mine, or the government's,  if three or more adults want to live together and be married? 

by on Jul. 23, 2010 at 12:24 AM
Replies (51-56):
JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2010 at 4:24 PM

Quoting Lindseyfam5:

Been away all day, sorry I never responded...

Re: my reply last night.  I don't know much about Polygamy other than what I have seen on tv.  With that being said....this may be a poor comparison....but, I do know about married people sharing multiple partners, and that type of lifestyle is terrible for children.  It teaches them that sex is more casual and not to a special bond to only be shared between two people who love eachother.  It teaches boys that it is okay to disrespect women and for it to be perfectly accepted to only want/need a woman for her body.  I have seen this type of lifestyle rip families apart.  It is human nature to be jealous.  I would expect similar outcomes with polygamy as well.

So, you equate polygamy with disrespect towards women.  I don't know that one necessarily equals the other.  I am certain that monogamy doesn't equal respect of women, by its very nature.  I know many monogamous men who do not respect women.  Their form of disrespect may not be infidelity, but they certainly don't respect women.  Can infidelity be a form of disrespect?  Sure it can.  When you are talking about a relationship where the woman expects monogamy, it would be disrespectful for the man to cheat.

However, what I am talking about in terms of polygamy is a relationship where all of the parties involved agree to it.  When that is the case, how is it disrespectful?

And, I totally disagree that polygamy teaches kids that sex is casual.  Quite the contrary, actually.  The man actually has to marry the woman and take on the responsibility of providing for her and their children.  If that isn't the opposite of casual, I don't know what is! LOL!

MommaTashy
by on Jul. 23, 2010 at 4:27 PM

even though David , Moses , jacob and Abraham were all polygamist ? 

Quoting toomanypoodles:

If I were not a Christian and have moral issues with it, I'd probably say, "to each his own", but the Bible tells us one man for one woman, so I'm going with what God says on the matter. 

DVD
by on Jul. 23, 2010 at 4:36 PM

I dont think it hurts society any more than homosexuals do...it is a privet matter and has no effect on anyone but those in that family. I dont think i could ever do it...I have enough trouble keeping up with one lover, anymore would be too much! lol

Lindseyfam5
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Quoting Lindseyfam5:

Re: my reply last night.  I don't know much about Polygamy other than what I have seen on tv.  With that being said....this may be a poor comparison....but, I do know about married people sharing multiple partners, and that type of lifestyle is terrible for children.  It teaches them that sex is more casual and not to a special bond to only be shared between two people who love eachother.  It teaches boys that it is okay to disrespect women and for it to be perfectly accepted to only want/need a woman for her body.  I have seen this type of lifestyle rip families apart.  It is human nature to be jealous.  I would expect similar outcomes with polygamy as well.

So, you equate polygamy with disrespect towards women.  I don't know that one necessarily equals the other.  I am certain that monogamy doesn't equal respect of women, by its very nature.  I know many monogamous men who do not respect women.  Their form of disrespect may not be infidelity, but they certainly don't respect women.  Can infidelity be a form of disrespect?  Sure it can.  When you are talking about a relationship where the woman expects monogamy, it would be disrespectful for the man to cheat.

However, what I am talking about in terms of polygamy is a relationship where all of the parties involved agree to it.  When that is the case, how is it disrespectful?

And, I totally disagree that polygamy teaches kids that sex is casual.  Quite the contrary, actually.  The man actually has to marry the woman and take on the responsibility of providing for her and their children.  If that isn't the opposite of casual, I don't know what is! LOL!

Like I said, my "multiple partners" example was a very poor comparison.....But it's the only thing I have to form anykind of educated opinion. 

By witnessing two 'plural marriage' lifestyles in my own family, unless it is only including those who marry into these plural marriages with their deep religious roots....then, I don't see it being as respected by the average American.  Like I said, jealousy is human nature....and the saddest thing is, children are usually products of these marriages.

SamanthaAgain
by Sam on Jul. 23, 2010 at 4:38 PM

How do you make that connection?  How is a consentual, loving relationship between three or more people disrespectful?  How is it teaching children anything about sex?  It seems that you have a lot of very skewed ideas about what poly relationships are about. 

Quoting Lindseyfam5:

Follow me to learn about Cloth Diapering and why I choose to give my son choice.

hsteele
by on Jul. 23, 2010 at 4:45 PM

I don't think there is anything wrong with polygamy between consenting adults. I think its the morals police who think that their way is the only way because their bible says so, who think they get to decide what is acceptable for society. I think a large number of Americans could care less who you marry and how many you marry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)