Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What difference does it make?

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:26 AM
  • 22 Replies

If a religion, group, position, or nation is insulted?

Do you take it personally?

Why does it matter to you what someone says about any given topic?

by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momiofcristina
by Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:28 AM

I dont take it personally, and it boggles my mind how some women take things said by a stranger to the heart.

tomatoqueen
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:33 AM

I think that religion is such a deeply personal thing that an insult of a specific religion, faith, or lack is painful. If a person takes their religion as a defining part of their existence, it is easy to understand why insults are painful. It depends on how the comment is worded as to whether I take it personally. I try  to remind myself that getting upset will only fuel the fire.I try to avoid the threads because I know they will take horrible turns. In real life, I live in a community where my faith is basically shared, so it is not an issue for me.

There are other topics that are personal based on a person's life experiences. If you have been the victim of domestic violence, it would be easy to be offended by people saying the victims deserve it. The same is true of a lot of issues.

Insult a nation....probably would not bother me because it is not a personal issue. I am proud to be an American, but I realize the ocuntry has its faults.

EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:45 AM

i think too many people take chat rooms far too seriously. 

kara_thrace
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:47 AM

I think the only time I get my panties in a twist is when something is said or done about my Country or God that is vile and repulsive.  Intentional hatred for the things I care about gets under my skin.  I either turn the channel, stop listening or ignore a comment. 

CharleneS.
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 10:55 AM

It's much more than cafe mom or chat rooms...people are getting insulted or offended by things that they hear or see in every day life too.

I try very hard not to take things personally.

Princess223
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:03 AM

Quoting stormcris:

Why does it matter to you what someone says about any given topic?It does'nt matter UNLESS it affects Me :)

Redteux
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:19 AM

Hmmm . . . maybe a little, depending on the nature of the insult.

Actually, what bothers me much more is factual inaccuracies.  Everyone has the right to their own opinion - I can't change that.

But documented history and scientific fact is a different matter.  I can't change the way someone feels, but I can correct mistakes.

PurdueMom
by Sherri on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:25 AM

When I first joined CM, my very first debate was a religious debate.  We were debating how one gets into Heaven.  I gave my opinion from my Agnostic point of view.  A mom replied that I was immoral.  That my children were not only immoral but doomed because I was raising them without a moral compass.  That I was a horrible mother for condemning my children's souls to Hell for withholding God from them (which was her assumption, btw).  She even PM'd me several times.  At first, I was nice and told her she was entitled to her opinions, but that she really didn't know me blah blah...  but she continued to harass me.  So, I just stopped responding to her.  I just completely ignored her.  I never even opened a post if she was the OP.  She eventually stopped bugging me, most likely because she realized I would not respond.

I have found that is the best way to handle those who take things said on an internet forum too personally.   However, I do have to admit the cattiness of some in the really heated discussions is so entertaining.  I just makes me laugh to read it.

Sherri

KittyLicking.gif picture by wer4pu
PurdueMom
by Sherri on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:26 AM

Quoting Redteux:

Actually, what bothers me much more is factual inaccuracies.  Everyone has the right to their own opinion - I can't change that.

But documented history and scientific fact is a different matter.  I can't change the way someone feels, but I can correct mistakes.

In red:  I'm with you on that.

Sherri
fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on Jul. 25, 2010 at 11:28 AM

There's a lot of dumbshits floating around out there when it comes to history.....myself included when it comes to the religious stuff.

You can just calle me Ms MORE-ON

OP:  My skin is pretty thick.  I can take it...dish it when needed....and do my best to have a civil conversation with people about hot topics.

Passion is also something I understand and respect in all people.

Quoting Redteux:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)