Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

When you post here in CEHT...

Posted by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:19 PM
  • 45 Replies

...do you expect a "debate"?

Having re-read the group guidelines in conjunction with a few group threads that address the group purpose/scope, I am left with this question.

Help me out some huh?

IS THIS a "debate" group?

What do you think?

Personally, there have been several timely topics I have refrained from posting simply because (imo) they are volatile and controversy laden and well, some might say "full of drama". And at the same time, I wonder if perhaps *I* am missing the gist, the point, the crux if you will....of CM's CEHT.

So admins, members, lurkers alike...what do you think is the expected activity in a group such as this one?

"If you want to make enemies, try to change something."
~Woodrow Wilson
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:19 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:24 PM

There is always going to be some debate when you discuss current event and hot topics.  Most posts are going to strike a chord (either positive or negative) with the reader.  Depending on the post, I think it is very safe to assume that there will be debate.  Now, when we discuss a some crazy broad who tries to make her kids drink poison and when that doesn't work, she strangles them with wire.... we are all on board with "what a Crazy Bit$h".  But that even sparks debate on how valid the PPD defense is.  How culpable are other family members etc....

Commie_Mommie
by Bronze Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Everything is a debate on Cafemom.

AMom29
by Gold Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Hmmm.

I'd say, whatever you want to post, as long as it's a CE and/or HT, then post it.  Some posts are lightening rods for discourse, some get ignored.  Some times I've posted stuff thinking it would get more traffic and it doesn't.  Ce la vie (or however that's spelled).

This isn't NC -- that's just Dramapalooza.  :)  However, you have really passionate folks that hang out here and will get fired up (ready to go!) about stuff.  It's just par for the course, IMO.

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Hmmmm, k, that helps.

Oft times I read here in this group and want SO BADLY to "challenge" the post, but I fear I am in the 'wrong spot" for such discourse.

margroc
by on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:35 PM

Am I slow?  I thought this was a debate group. Is it not?

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:37 PM

Quoting AMom29:

***Snip***

This isn't NC -- that's just Dramapalooza.  :)  However, you have really passionate folks that hang out here and will get fired up (ready to go!) about stuff.  It's just par for the course, IMO.

Not only are we passionate.... some of us are even intelligent!  ;-)

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Quoting margroc:

Am I slow?  I thought this was a debate group. Is it not?

LOL I am with you here. I don't know....therefore, I ask.

Back in the early days of Cafemom, this was INDEED a debate group. Now, it seems more topical and before I get all hot and bothered on a post, I thought it wise to simply ask.

Sometimes when a responder challenges the original poster ( or even subsequent responders)  it is misconstrued as "drama".

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:38 PM

Sometimes debate is part of it.  Sometimes I think it's just to vent frustrations.  There is the rare thread where we all share the same view but that is very very very very few and far between. 

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:39 PM

Quoting ThatTXMom:

Quoting AMom29:

***Snip***

Not only are we passionate.... some of us are even intelligent!  ;-)

What's the opposite of air?

(go on, flex that cranium...my DS asked me this recently, and I was all about clueless)

LancesMom
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2010 at 9:41 PM

I think it's a debate group but some topics become so heated and the forum so full of these topics I think it's nice to be able to post a fun question also! But I tend to stick with hot topics or current events. (Unless I wanna have fun)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)