Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Church Carnival Sets Up Shooter Game With Obama As Target

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:14 AM
  • 175 Replies

Church Carnival Sets Up Shooter Game With Obama As Target

Rachel Slajda | August 5, 2010, 1:45PM

The "Alien Attack" carnival game

Twitter Fark Reddit Send to a Friend

Send to a friend!

To email:    Your Name:    Your email:

In Roseto, Pa., a carnival company closed down a shooter game called "Alien Attack," after complaints and news stories that President Obama was one of the targets.

The black "alien leader" is holding a scroll titled "Health Bill" and wearing a presidential seal belt buckle. He also has antennae and a troll doll with a KISS T-shirt on his shoulder.

The owner of the carnival company, Goodtime Amusements, dismissed a complaint, saying the figure is not meant to be Obama.

"She [a carnival-goer] said she was offended by it. I said if you are, you might want to be. But you're interpreting it as being Obama. We're not interpreting it as Obama," said the owner, Irvin Good Jr.

After drawing more attention from the press, however, Good shut down the game and apologized.

"I didn't think it was offensive, and you know, I made the wrong judgment on it," he said. "And that's all I can say about it. We did away with it, and I'm apologizing to everybody in the world, I think."

A spokesman for the Secret Service says they've spoken with Good and that they'll take "whatever action is appropriate."

Thoughts?  Is this a church function you would feel comfortable at?

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong, because sometime in life you will have been one or all of these. George Washington Carver

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tomatoqueen
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:24 AM

No, not at all. I think people are entitled to their opinions, but I don't think this sends a good message to the kids in the crowd.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:30 AM

Something like that would cause me to leave my church if they did that.  First of all, that is just not a message that Christian leadership should be sending.  Secondly, as a church they really aren't supposed to overtly express a political opinion either way.  I would hope the IRS would revoke the church's tax exempt status.  If that isn't making a political statement with the intention of trying to sway their congregants, I don't know what is!

skisbufly1
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 2:31 AM

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

Something like that would cause me to leave my church if they did that.  First of all, that is just not a message that Christian leadership should be sending.  Secondly, as a church they really aren't supposed to overtly express a political opinion either way.  I would hope the IRS would revoke the church's tax exempt status.  If that isn't making a political statement with the intention of trying to sway their congregants, I don't know what is!

Princess223
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 3:27 AM

Chapman's not buying it.

"Any adult for sure or teenager playing that game and shooting at that game, there's no way they couldn't have known that was President Obama," she said.

http://www.thegrio.com/politics/obama-target-draws-fire-at-church-carnival.php

kymomma1974
by Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:09 AM
Wow!! thee ignorant things people do!! id never attend that church/that function and openly speak out against them...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
flatlanderjenn
by Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:19 AM

confused

Not sure if anyone else realized this, but no where in this particular article does it say this shooting booth and target were promoted by a church, but instead promoted by Goodtime Amusements.

Then I clicked on the Philidelphia Inquirerer link to learn this booth has been used without complaint at several summer church carnivals AND fire department fundraisers.

The other article reveals it wasn't until Goodtime Amusements set this booth up at Our Lady of Mount Carmel (a Catholic Church) that a person made a complaint.  Catholics realize that although President Obama is the most pro-abortion, pro-infantcide president we've ever had in the US, he still deserves the same respect all homo sapiens, born and unborn, deserve.

Our quick judgements reveal a lot about our own insecurities and prejudiceness.

We are moving toward a dictatorship of relativism which does not recognize anything as for certain and which has as its highest goal one's own ego and one's own desires.
-Pope Benedict XVI
40isfun
by Christi on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:28 AM

Definitely not.

40isfun
by Christi on Aug. 7, 2010 at 7:30 AM

Quoting flatlanderjenn:

confused

Not sure if anyone else realized this, but no where in this particular article does it say this shooting booth and target were promoted by a church, but instead promoted by Goodtime Amusements.

Then I clicked on the Philidelphia Inquirerer link to learn this booth has been used without complaint at several summer church carnivals AND fire department fundraisers.

The other article reveals it wasn't until Goodtime Amusements set this booth up at Our Lady of Mount Carmel (a Catholic Church) that a person made a complaint.  Catholics realize that although President Obama is the most pro-abortion, pro-infantcide president we've ever had in the US, he still deserves the same respect all homo sapiens, born and unborn, deserve.

Our quick judgements reveal a lot about our own insecurities and prejudiceness.

Are you saying that because no one complained about it others can't be uncomfortable?  I think it's pretty cheesy.  How about if we put Jesus up there or Mary?  It's just a game so no one should be offended of course.

denise3680
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:01 AM

I agree with 40 on this one.  Really, to me, I find it disturbing that noone else stepped up to say something about it.  If it was going to be an alien then make it look like one, not our President or any human for that matter. 

40isfun
by Christi on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:22 AM

Quoting denise3680:

I agree with 40 on this one.  Really, to me, I find it disturbing that noone else stepped up to say something about it.  If it was going to be an alien then make it look like one, not our President or any human for that matter. 

Exactly.  I don't think it should have been any human.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)