Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The Government Doesn't Belong in ANY Marriage!

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:30 PM
  • 37 Replies

Why can't the government get out of ALL marriage?  When did we decide it was okay for the government to intrude in our PERSONAL choices that don't harm another person?

I am a Christian and I believe that if people want to choose to marry then they have the choice to marry whomever they desire.  No innocent person is harmed in a marriage.   We cannot regulate morality when it doesn't involve the harming of an innocent person!

If we allow the government to continue to have a hand in marriage, where does it stop?  Will only people who are 5 years in age or less apart be allowed to marry?  Only those who are of the same race can marry?  Only those of the same religion?  NO ONE would okay the government having a hand in THOSE decisions so why in this?  If you're a woman who wants to marry another woman, then go for it!  That's your choice.

As a Christian, do I have thoughts on homosexuality?  Yes.  However, my thoughts on that are no more releveant than are my thoughts on alcoholism, engorging, gossip, lying, cheating, stealing, adultry, etc.  Even if I feel it's a sin, people STILL have the choice to engage in that sin.  If we decided people can't marry because of what Christians see as a sin then we can't allow anyone to marry because we are ALL sinners.  Every single one of us.  Christian or not.  If God Himself gives us free will, then who are we to take that free will away so long as it doesn't harm another human being?

(If you need me, I'll be hiding from the Christians for daring to express my counter-thoughts on this issue.  A man once said, "Your Christ I like...your Christians...not so much" . Or something like that.)

Amy

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:30 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DangerDarling
by Fabulous on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Bravo!

Della529
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:50 PM

Very well said!!   No need to hide.  I'll stand up for you, as I'm sure many others will also.

As an aside...I guess this is one subject where we are in agreement ;o)

margroc
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:52 PM

I love what you've said here.  Brava to you! :)

Quote:

As a Christian, do I have thoughts on homosexuality?  Yes.  However, my thoughts on that are no more releveant than are my thoughts on alcoholism, engorging, gossip, lying, cheating, stealing, adultry, etc.  Even if I feel it's a sin, people STILL have the choice to engage in that sin.  If we decided people can't marry because of what Christians see as a sin then we can't allow anyone to marry because we are ALL sinners.  Every single one of us.  Christian or not.  If God Himself gives us free will, then who are we to take that free will away so long as it doesn't harm another human being?

“The state has no business in the bedrooms of the nation.” - Pierre E. Trudeau

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Aug. 7, 2010 at 4:58 PM
Very well said.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
morningdove831
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:08 PM

Very well said.  :)

sunfireprincess
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 5:25 PM

great post. thanks!

tericared
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:06 PM

agree with everyone above...

aidans_mama
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:13 PM

Me likes, me likes a lot.

40isfun
by Christi on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:19 PM

Great post.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 8:20 PM

Exactly.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)