Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Toddler Brain Dead After 'Boxing Lesson'

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM
  • 32 Replies

Sorry if this has came up way too much but i just heard about it.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/24513531/detail.html

Toddler Brain Dead After 'Boxing Lesson'

Father Charged With Second-Degree Murder

POSTED: Wednesday, August 4, 2010
UPDATED: 2:40 pm EDT August 4, 2010

A 2-year-old has been declared brain dead after suffering severe head injuries, and his father told officers the child was injured as he tried to teach the boy to box, according to police.

The father, 23-year-old Lee Willie DeJesus, is being held without bond on a charge of second-degree murder.

Watch: Video

In court Wednesday, a judge heard testimony that the child had been declared brain dead, although he is still on life support. If the child is pronounced dead, the charge against his father could be increased to first-degree murder.

Homestead police were called to the family's apartment in the 300 block of Southwest Fourth Avenue in Homestead at 10:30 p.m. Monday after the 2-year-old boy was wounded.

The child was airlifted to the hospital in critical condition and was later declared brain dead.

According to the arrest form, the boy's father, 23-year-old Lee Willie DeJesus, initially told police that he had returned home to find his 2-year-old son unresponsive on a bed. DeJesus told police a baby sitter must have beaten the child, the form said.

After being taken to the Police Department, investigators said DeJesus admitted that he lied about there being a baby sitter.

The arrest form said DeJesus told officers that he was trying to teach the boy how to box. Police said DeJesus put on 16-ounce boxing gloves and punched the child about 15 times in his face, torso, head and shoulders over the course of about 15 minutes.

According to police, DeJesus said the child hit his head on a wall and on a tile floor when he fell off a bed.

The child became unresponsive, and police said DeJesus told them that he waited 30 to 60 minutes before calling for medical help.

Neighbors said the boy always appeared to be happy and well cared for, but that the parents seemed to have a turbulent relationship. One neighbor said the husband and wife often fought loudly in the middle of the night.

According to the neighbor, the mother often worked until midnight. It is unclear whether she was home when her son was injured.

DeJesus was booked into a Miami-Dade County Jail Tuesday afternoon and is being held without bond.
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DVD
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:09 PM

sad

sunfireprincess
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:14 PM

thats horrible :( simple frown

I am 28 years old, mother of one boy. I coach, I teach, I play, I change diapers, and I clean and cook. all the great things about being a mother and working part time. I am open minded. Every story has two sides. I love meeting new people. I love chatting.

DangerDarling
by Fabulous on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:17 PM

This is unbelievable. How could he do that to his two year old? Poor kid.

pvtjokerus
by Ruby Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:26 PM

This is pathetic.  That poor little boy.

Thomigirl
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:28 PM

This sounds like he beat the crap out of this poor baby and then tried to cover it up with this poor excuse! 

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:35 PM

WTF???  This is just crazy!  Bless that itty bitty's poor little heart. 

SRiveroC
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:36 PM

loser

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:41 PM

Sickening!  Poor baby!

tericared
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:42 PM

He needs to spend the rest of his life in jail..

sunfireprincess
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:43 PM

I hope he and casey anthony rot in hell.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)