Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why do you tithe 10% of your income?

Posted by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:38 PM
  • 127 Replies

Do people still do this? Why was it determined that 10% of your income needed to go to your Church?

Do you think this is a fair amount. Should it be more or less?

by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DVD
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:39 PM

god doesn't need money ppl do

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:40 PM

The bible says 10% of your first fruits. If you are a dressmaker, that could be 10% of the dresses you make.  At least that is how I see it.  But, the church needs money to keep the lights turned on. 

My church actually did a reverse pass the plate.  I'm gonna try to find the news story because it was quite amazing.

DangerDarling
by Fabulous on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:44 PM

Ooo girl, I do not. Our UU church asks for 3-5% of our income. Of course some people give more and some people give less. Every week the offering is donated to a charity that is chosen for the month. It's a pretty good system, in my opinion.  

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:46 PM

Thomigirl
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:49 PM

No snark at all.  I'm truly curious as to where in the Bible this is stated.  I remember (very fuzzy memory) a scripture about how Jesus said that no one should charge money in the house of my father. 

To answer the OP: I've never paid to attend church.  Yes there was a request for donations, but dues?  Nope.

Quoting ThatTXMom:

The bible says 10% of your first fruits.

DVD
by on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:54 PM

this is wonderful!

Quoting ThatTXMom:

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:57 PM

Quoting Thomigirl:

No snark at all.  I'm truly curious as to where in the Bible this is stated.  I remember (very fuzzy memory) a scripture about how Jesus said that no one should charge money in the house of my father. 

To answer the OP: I've never paid to attend church.  Yes there was a request for donations, but dues?  Nope.

Quoting ThatTXMom:

The bible says 10% of your first fruits.

It's good.... no offense.  I really like the discussion.  ;-)  The bible uses the word tithe.  A tithe is 1/10th, 1/10th is 10%. Tithing is mentioned starting in Genesis.  I think Malachi drives home the point in Chapter 4.  Read it   http://www.biblestudytools.com/kjv/malachi/3.html scroll to verse 8

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Quoting DVD:

this is wonderful!

Quoting ThatTXMom:

***video removed to save the trees***

Everything about Cross Timbers is different than your typical church.  I have really grown in my faith and spirituality since I've been going there.  If all churches could follow Toby's lead... wow... how awesome!!!

mghtymffn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:01 PM

mostly to keep up with our many charities that we have around our community, but it also keeps the lights on at the church.............I love my church because we know were every dime goes, we get a detail list of the church's expenses plus all the charites that we are involved in as a church...........we also give money to our private adventist school and we have a community services that serves everybody not just adventists.

mghtymffn
by Bronze Member on Aug. 7, 2010 at 11:04 PM

something that i don't like, is when churches say you must tith to get a blessing but i tith because i'm blessed.  I also don't like it when some churches say that if you tithe, then you will get to heaven.........that to me is nonsense.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)