Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you born into faith?

Posted by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:18 AM
  • 22 Replies

For several faiths many people do consider you born into them, for some that would be Catholicism, Judaism and Muslim and also Traditional witchcraft or Shaman but that is after being chosen and going through Shamanic death but none the less you are born to it. Even many Christians have the idea that you are reborn into faith, so it is no wonder that there is so much confusion. Yes of course a person can convert to any of these but especially with a few faiths you are still seen as an attachment and not a pure whatever the faith is to some.

So I wanted to see how the panel here saw this: Are you born into certain faiths, all faiths or not?

by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fnpdocgrrl
by Boudica on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:38 AM

The only faith I have always understood that one is generally born into is Judaism.  Basically if you're born to a family related to the Jews who fled Egypt....you're Jewish.  For reasons unknown to me, children born to a Jewish mother and Non-Jewish father are considered Jewish for all intents and purposes.  I find that odd because the child may carry a non-Jewish surname and yet still be considered Jewish.

All of us are born to parents of a particular faith or lack thereof.  My father was a non-practicing Episcopalian when we were born, and though he wasn't a churchgoer, we were all baptized as babies into the Episcopalian faith.

However, being baptized is not enough.  To call yourself a member of any faith, you need to follow its tenets.....and you can choose which religion that will be.   Thus you can assume any faith....but some faiths such as Judaism and possibly Catholicism require a more formal conversion that takes longer.

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:40 AM

According to Billy Graham's son, you are Jewish through your mother and Islamic through your father, but Christian by choice.  Hmmmmm.

DangerDarling
by Fabulous on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:50 AM

Well, my kids never believed in anything until it was introduced to them. Santa, despite our best efforts to dispel the notion that he exists, is still eagerly awaited by my (now) four year old, who doesn't quite get that he only "comes" on Christmas.

I'm going to say that people don't know much of anything until they're exposed to it. That goes for all socialization. Just look at the case studies of isolated children.

After WW2, foundlings in NYC with no religious artifacts were assigned a religion before adoption. They became Protestant, Jewish, or Catholic in sequential order. The exception was that the Jewish faith would not be assigned to black infants.

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:52 AM

That is interesting I did not know that.

Quoting DangerDarling:

Well, my kids never believed in anything until it was introduced to them. Santa, despite our best efforts to dispel the notion that he exists, is still eagerly awaited by my (now) four year old, who doesn't quite get that he only "comes" on Christmas.

I'm going to say that people don't know much of anything until they're exposed to it. That goes for all socialization. Just look at the case studies of isolated children.

After WW2, foundlings in NYC with no religious artifacts were assigned a religion before adoption. They became Protestant, Jewish, or Catholic in sequential order. The exception was that the Jewish faith would not be assigned to black infants.

allsolittle
by Member on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:54 AM
Generallly, yes, I think you're born into it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DangerDarling
by Fabulous on Aug. 24, 2010 at 12:55 AM

I thought it was fascinating!  

Quoting stormcris:

That is interesting I did not know that.

Quoting DangerDarling:

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2010 at 1:19 AM

I think it's a personal choice---just cuz grandpappy was religious doesn't mean you're gonna get to go to heaven.  In Christianity you need to accept Jesus as your personal saviour and He saves you by grace, not by works. 

stormcris
by Christy on Aug. 24, 2010 at 1:21 AM

But is that not only at the age of accountability?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

I think it's a personal choice---just cuz grandpappy was religious doesn't mean you're gonna get to go to heaven.  In Christianity you need to accept Jesus as your personal saviour and He saves you by grace, not by works. 

bakebiscotti
by on Aug. 24, 2010 at 1:21 AM

I was born into a Catholic family, I didn't become a Catholic until I was baptized as an infant.  The rest of the sacraments, especially confirmation were of my own accord.  My dad became Catholic as an adult

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Aug. 24, 2010 at 1:24 AM

Quoting stormcris:

But is that not only at the age of accountability?

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Children and innocents or those never exposed to the gospel are under God's grace.  They will go to heaven when they die or the Lord returns.  But if you're of sound mind and old enough to understand, you'll need to make the choice who you'll serve.  Those who accept Him will one day be with Him. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)