Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how good is your memory?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:37 AM
  • 8 Replies

i was just watching this with my daughter.. i thought wow i could not do this.. could you?

http://animal.discovery.com/videos/extraordinary-animals-chimpan-genius.html

sorry don't know how to add this as a video i didn't see an option for it.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:37 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Wyldbutterfly
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:29 AM

No. I'm lucky I remember last week these days!

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:00 AM

Great video.

I think it's funny how people are so surprised when non-human animals excel at cognitive tasks.  We really have an incredibly high opinion of our species. 

Aasiyah
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:23 AM

considering we all derived from apes... you'd think they be smarter than us. LOLOLOL..

i really don't beleive we derived from apes but many people do i wonder if they think themselves smarter than them..and if they would do well on these tests. LOL

erin7420
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Its amazing how smart those animals are.  They actually communicate with us through sign language.

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:44 AM

BUMP!

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:46 AM

Quoting Aasiyah:

considering we all derived from apes... you'd think they be smarter than us. LOLOLOL..

i really don't beleive we derived from apes but many people do i wonder if they think themselves smarter than them..and if they would do well on these tests. LOL

If you're talking about the theory of evolution - it does not say we derived from apes, but that we share a common ancestor with apes in our relatively recent evolutionary past.  Some people think that we are "more evolved" than apes, but that is not consistent with current evolutionary theory.  People also often confuse "more evolved" with "smarter", or "more human-like".  This is also not consistent with the evolutionary theory. 

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:53 PM

Isn't that intriguing!

Ya know, a significant amount of attachment theory and the foundation for bonding between humans was based on observation of chimps? Really, it was/is.

Check out the bonobo chimps.

<<Closeness to humans

Bonobos are capable of passing the mirror-recognition test for self-awareness. They communicate primarily through vocal means, although the meanings of their vocalizations are not currently known. However, most humans do understand their facial expressions[20] and some of their natural hand gestures, such as their invitation to play. Two Bonobos at the Great Ape Trust, Kanzi and Panbanisha, have been taught how to communicate using a keyboard labeled with lexigrams (geometric symbols) and they can respond to spoken sentences. Kanzi's vocabulary consists of more than 500 English words[36] and he has comprehension of around 3,000 spoken English words.[37] Some, such as philosopher and bioethicist Peter Singer, argue that these results qualify them for the "rights to survival and life", rights that humans theoretically accord to all persons.

There are instances in which non-human primates have been reported to have expressed joy. One study analyzed and recorded sounds made by human babies and Bonobos when they were tickled.[38] It found although the Bonobo's laugh was a higher frequency, the laugh followed a similar spectrographic pattern to human babies.>>

As for the op, and memory...makes adaptive sense really. Look at the whole of the chimp's natural environment. Consider in what detail the primate must be able to adequately map his surroundings as well as categorize his experiences in him mind. That's a crapload of storage space.

Radarma
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:54 PM

Quoting erin7420:

Its amazing how smart those animals are.  They actually communicate with us through sign language.

They also shake their heads "no" at their babie's when the babie's get into trouble.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)