Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Christians, Muslims, and Jews...Oh My

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:17 AM
  • 21 Replies

Christians dine with Muslims in a show of interfaith support

Members of Christian churches help observe end of Ramadan fasting

August 30, 2010|By Jeff Kunerth, Orlando Sentinel

Together, the Christians and the Muslims walked at dusk from the Islamic school to the Islamic Center of Orlando. Together, they ate figs and chickpeas and fruit salad to end the fasting of Ramadan. Together, they lined up in rows inside the mosque and prayed.

"This is what we should see all over the nation," said Raza Ali, 62, a member of the mosque. "We have to be together. We should fight together those who go to the extremes."

The interfaith gathering Monday night of Christians and Muslims, along with some Jewish friends of the mosque, was a show of support, unity and faith at a time when the nation seems drawn to polarizing extremes over religion and terrorism.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-08-30/features/os-interfaith-solidarity-ramadan-20100830_1_iftar-muslim-leaders-islamic-center

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
tericared
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:10 AM

There needs to be more of this...

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:38 AM

I agree Terica

beachmom0703
by Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:38 AM

AMAZING!!!! this is what i wish would happen more ! we can ALL support each other 4 the greater good....we dont have to agree on all the issues/details BUT we can work toward peace 2gether! LOVE IT!!! thanks 4 posting this tericared! =)

candlegal
by Judy on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:48 AM

I agree

Quoting tericared:

There needs to be more of this...

Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:50 AM

That's awesome! I wish this would happen more often.

TTWWBB
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:58 AM
And really...behavior, respect appreciation and love like this is what all religions, and general 'just being a good person' preach to us to be. I would bet during a meeting of all these faiths like this more common ground was discovered than differences.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
muslimah
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:18 PM

There are many of theses interfaith iftars here. Even when it is not Ramadan they always have them going on. They consist of a dinner/banquet and a speaker representing each of the 3 faiths.

They are always hosted by Muslims and here is a run down of how they turn out....

About 20 Jews

About 8 to 10 Christians

At least 100 to 200 hundred Muslims (depending on the size of the event)

And in speaking of Jews I mean only non-Zionist Jews who reject israel.

OhiogirlinCali
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:21 PM

Yay!!!  This is what I'd like to see more of :) 

This is what the media should be focusing on, spreading the love... not the hate....

norwegianwood
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Huh, so THIS is touted, Beck's is 'just for show'....

http://dyn.politico.com/members/forums/thread.cfm?catid=1&subcatid=70&threadid=4436804

Of course, there is such LIMITED actual 'just reporting on the facts' that this report notes the regiment, but not their total denominations:

He revealed the formation of a "Black-Robed Regiment" of clergy members and said the event would be "a defibrillator to the spiritual heart of America.”

On Saturday, Beck brought 240 clergy (of various denominations) onto the stage to tout his new “regiment.” He asserted that thousands more were in the crowd. Then bagpipes played, and the crowd sang "Amazing Grace."

For the record, they were Rabbis, Imams, Priests, Pastors....ALL from the major religions practiced here in the US.....he doesn't get any Kudos for it at all though....he's just a hater.

P

tericared
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:15 PM

Quoting OhiogirlinCali:

Yay!!!  This is what I'd like to see more of :) 

This is what the media should be focusing on, spreading the love... not the hate....

Yes they should,,,,,,,,,,,

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)