Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Woman had feared man, and now both are dead

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:19 AM
  • 8 Replies

Loni Amber Turner was afraid. An ex-boyfriend she'd met online wouldn't leave her alone. He sent her text messages. He watched her apartment. He showed up at the trade school where she was a student.

"I am really afraid to come out of the apartment …" she wrote in a petition for a domestic-violence injunction last week.

On Monday, Turner's body and that of her ex-boyfriend Erin Ross, 27, were found in Room 7 of the Town & Country Motel in Port Orange. They had been shot to death, police said.

When 22-year-old Turner disappeared Sunday, police knew immediately for whom to look: Eight days earlier, Turner went to the South Daytona Beach Police Department, saying that Ross was stalking her. Two days later, she went to the Volusia County Courthouse in Daytona Beach and asked a judge for an injunction, an order for Ross to leave her alone.

Circuit Judge William A. Parsons said no. Turner had failed to prove she was in imminent danger, he wrote. He ordered Turner and Ross to come to court in two weeks and lay out their evidence.

This fatal shooting, and others in recent years, point out the limits of injunctions and their ability to keep victims safe. But injunctions — or restraining orders — depend on the compliance of a sometimes-angry boyfriend, ex or spouse. And in the end, they are just pieces of paper.

Alissa Blanton

The case of 23-year-old Alissa Blanton of Cocoa was eerily similar to Turner's.

Blanton was killed Feb. 8 when a man who had been stalking her confronted her in the parking lot near where she worked — an AT&T call center near the University of Central Florida — and shot her to death. The week before, she had asked a circuit judge in Brevard County for an injunction against her stalker, Roger Troy, 61, of Cocoa Beach.

Circuit Judge Dean Moxley said no, that she didn't have enough proof. He ordered them both to court in two weeks to review the evidence. Eight days before that hearing, Troy shot and killed Blanton, then himself.

Both Blanton and Turner had filled out paperwork asking for temporary injunctions — then passed the packets of information to a judge they never saw. The judges made their rulings based solely on what the women had written. And some judges say that if there is not clear evidence of impending danger, the best thing to do is bring both parties to court and let them present their cases.

http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2010-08-31/news/os-loni-turner-injunction-20100830_1_injunction-alissa-blanton-roger-troy

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Aasiyah
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 6:56 AM

unbelievable. if a person is seeking an injunction there must be a reason.. err on the side of caution mr judge. Now both judges have to deal with the.. I should have.... and 4 lives are dead.  unbelievable

tericared
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 7:59 AM

Quoting Aasiyah:

unbelievable. if a person is seeking an injunction there must be a reason.. err on the side of caution mr judge. Now both judges have to deal with the.. I should have.... and 4 lives are dead.  unbelievable

This seems to happen a lot around here, some time ago a woman in my county ask for a restraining order, only to be denied. Her Husband shot and killed her in the parking lot of the police station.....I have tried to get one for a crazy woman who tries to run me off  the road, screams nasty things to my 9 year old, I have video of this and the judge says she is not a threat.....Something needs to change...

Wyldbutterfly
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 9:24 AM

Quoting Aasiyah:

This!

erin7420
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:20 AM

When is election time? Vote them off the bench. Sad thing is, even with a restraining, if those men were intent on killing them, they would regardless of what the paper says. It seems more should be done than just giving you a paper that states stay away from me for 50 ft or more, because its only effective if both parties adhere to it.

Aasiyah
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:28 AM

Quoting tericared:

Quoting Aasiyah:

This seems to happen a lot around here, some time ago a woman in my county ask for a restraining order, only to be denied. Her Husband shot and killed her in the parking lot of the police station.....I have tried to get one for a crazy woman who tries to run me off  the road, screams nasty things to my 9 year old, I have video of this and the judge says she is not a threat.....Something needs to change...

i've been hearing about man kills girlfriend, ex girlfreind, wife , estranged wife for decades... and they say we are oppressed. 

these judges have blood on thier hands .. its a shame. i know someone who got a protection order and the next day was beaten senseless by her estranged husband.. those orders of protection hardly do anything for the criminally insane but they do work on those more stable personalities. the orders may not protect a person but the judge should be oligated to give one.  if a person is seeking one . and if there are kids involved make the appropriate arrangements.

continue to video tape..and write down every single incident with date and time and get witnesses if possible. create a report on her.. a police report if possible.  they take those into consideration.for whatever that is worth.

but why are you being harrassed?

growing up i could always smell a nutcase.. thank God i never got involved with one. infact im the dang gone nut when it comes to me and mine. i'll bust a cap in someone as they say if they come towards with anything less then like or love. 

and they say this is love..what the heck.. don't love me that dang gone much.

possummom
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:31 AM

both judges should be charged with murder. cause they let it happen. not like the women were in there for nothing. it is a shame that 4 lives are lost. shame on those men who are supposed to protect the victims. seems more and more that the courts care more about the criminals rights then the victims.

Joqui
by Joqui on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:39 AM
Wow this is terrible
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tbache
by Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:45 AM

These stories are so sad. I hope the judge starts to change what he thinks and starts giving those papers out. Personally, If i was a judge, i would probably hand them out without question, but ive seen some sad things and crazy things. Id just watch on the street and say here, get way from that crazy man/woman. Wish I could to be honest!!  Sadly they are just paper and it wont stop a crazy man/woman if they really want to get to the victim.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)