Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Teacher Duct Tapes Six-Year-Old's Mouth Shut

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:18 PM
  • 72 Replies

KANSAS CITY, MO - The Missouri Department of Social Services is investigating allegations that a first-grade teacher duct-taped a 6-year-old student's mouth shut in the classroom.

"He's scared to go back to school," said Nicholas Ellison, who says that his girlfriend's son, Logan, had a good first day of school at the Della Lamb Charter School. But he says that the second day was a disaster.

"The teacher decided to take it upon himself to take a roll of duct tape and tape his mouth shut and made him wear the duct tape all through class," said Ellison. "One of the teachers helped him take it off his mouth after the teacher said it was unsafe, you shouldn't have it on your mouth, and they helped him take it off. He said Mr. Sterling put it on because he was talking."

Judy Akers of the Della Lamb Charter School says that Logan's teacher, Mike Sterling, was sent home at first word of the accusation and is suspended until the investigation is complete.

"Obviously the rights of the kids supersede anything," said Akers. "(But) we cant just go in and terminate somebody immediately until we know exactly what happened."

The school expects the investigation to wrap up within the next few weeks, but while the school looks into the incident, Ellison's says that his concern compelled him to remove two kids from the school.

The Missouri Department of Social Services is visiting with the family and school on Monday to decide if further action needs to be taken. Ellison said Logan has a history of seizures and the school has that information on file. He says its another reason Logan's mouth should not be covered.

"I think its abuse, neglect, endangering a child's safety and if he was walking down the hall and tripped, how could he scream for help, he can't," said Ellison. "Somebody could have grabbed him in school. He couldn't call for help."

http://www.fox4kc.com/news/wdaf-story-teacher-duct-tape-082710,0,1856922.story

What would you do if this had been your child?  Do you think the teacher should be fired for this, or disciplined in some other way?  Do stories like this concern you about education in general, or do you see this as an isolated incident?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:26 PM
Holy crap. I abhor violence, but I would seriously find it difficult to restrain myself had he done this to my child. I hope the child can recover from this wretched breach of trust.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Princess223
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:28 PM

I'd need a bails bondsman, and a GOOD attorney, because I'd go to somebody's ass ova' My child.

RachaelMac
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:30 PM

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

No, I don't think the teacher should be fired. Telling the child to stop talking obviously did not work so the teacher used a corrective action that the child would remember and learn from. He wasn't hurt at all.

There are other more effective ways to correct a child that don't involve duct tape.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:32 PM

Would it bother you if this had been your child?

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

No, I don't think the teacher should be fired. Telling the child to stop talking obviously did not work so the teacher used a corrective action that the child would remember and learn from. He wasn't hurt at all.

Princess223
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:33 PM

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

What was the corrective part? Should have sent him outta' the classroom to the the principal's office if it was that SERIOUS.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I hear you!  It would get ugly FAST if this had been my child.

Quoting Princess223:

I'd need a bails bondsman, and a GOOD attorney, because I'd go to somebody's ass ova' My child.

1Giovanni
by Becca on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:34 PM

I actually laughed when I saw this. lol. I was thinking that would be one of my boys lol. I don't know how many times I have thought of duct taping both of my boy's mouth.

I wouldn't been to happy if a teachehr did it. I have a 6yr. old and he would had been pretty upset about it if a teacher did it.

mom2mandjax
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Yeah, I would need a lawyer if this were my child. I am trying to figure out how someone would come to the conclusion that duct tape would be a good tool to use.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:38 PM

Quoting Princess223:

Quoting chrlstoncharmed:

What was the corrective part? Should have sent him outta' the classroom to the the principal's office if it was that SERIOUS.

Not to mention, this was the second day of school.  If the teacher felt the need to resort to such a drastic punishment so quickly, I think he's probably not cut out to be a teacher.  At that age, and so early in the school year, the kids are still learning the classroom rules and whatnot.

ecagle
by Kegel on Aug. 31, 2010 at 12:40 PM

Many other effective discipline methods without using duct tape. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)