Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

"Press 1 for English..." Smart business or pandering?

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:27 PM
  • 4 Replies

I'm in a bit of a "discussion" on Facebook with a friend of a friend.  I "liked" a page that said "I don't mind pressing 1 for English because I am not an a$$hole".  Hardy har har.  Well, he took offense to that and started going on about appeasement and pandering and English speaking nation and whatnot.  Now, while I don't necessarily think objecting to "press 1" makes you an a$$hole, I do think it's much ado about nothing.  It takes 3 seconds, and to me it's smart business over pandering to a minority (his words).  The fact is, we have a lot of Spanish speakers in this country.  You, as a business person, want to reach out to as many people as you can, many of whom will speak a different primary language.  Not offering options in Spanish alienates a rather large group of people who would otherwise spend money on your product/service.  Now, I understand principle of the matter and all that, but  in my opinion, the free market is dictating this, something I thought conservatives looooooooved.  And I don't mind government forms or ballots being offered in different languages either.  I don't have the cost of making these, but I would prefer a well-infomed constiuency over a cheap political point.  Yes, I would prefer people learn English (I work in customer service, so believe me when I say this, lol), but it's a hard language, and I would prefer giving somebody greater understanding of an issue, even if it has to be in their native language, over leaving them clueless. 

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
katy_kay
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:32 PM

Many of these companies have one customer service line for North America and the reality is not all people in North America speak English.  Heck half the time you are not even speaking to someone in the US when you call customer service.  

It think it's a ridiculous thing to take issue with, especially since 95% of the time those that complain about having to press #1 don't show the same outrage over the jobs being lost to outsourcing.  Personally I think the loss of our jobs is far more outrageous than press #1.  

I like this particular issue (press #1) to those that complain because instructions on packaging comes in multiple languages.  It's time people stop and realize they aren't in Kansas any more.  

bullony
by Silver Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:35 PM

What is funny to me is everytime I get the automated voice 9 time out of 10 you are given numbers to push for service and then in spanish you are told to press a number for spanish.  I very rarely hear them tell me push 1 for english.  Maybe it has to do where I live?  I always think of these coments when I'm listening to the automated list.

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:35 PM

Quoting katy_kay:

Many of these companies have one customer service line for North America and the reality is not all people in North America speak English.  Heck half the time you are not even speaking to someone in the US when you call customer service.  

It think it's a ridiculous thing to take issue with, especially since 95% of the time those that complain about having to press #1 don't show the same outrage over the jobs being lost to outsourcing.  Personally I think the loss of our jobs is far more outrageous than press #1.  

I like this particular issue (press #1) to those that complain because instructions on packaging comes in multiple languages.  It's time people stop and realize they aren't in Kansas any more.  

That's exactly right.  I even brought that up, and he said, without a trace of irony, "that's business". 

katy_kay
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Quoting jessilin0113:

Quoting katy_kay:

That's exactly right.  I even brought that up, and he said, without a trace of irony, "that's business". 

Well one could turn that right back on him and say the same thing...it's the price of business and their dollar is as green as his and just as spendable.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)