Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CBS: Glenn Beck "Restoring Honor" Rally Crowd Estimate Explained-Link to Photos Used

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:07 PM
  • 65 Replies

To calculate attendance at the Beck rally, AirPhotosLive.com used what is called a surveillance aerostat balloon to take pictures from both above the event and closer to the ground. In the video above, which was provided by the company, you can see some of the images used to come up with a figure.

The balloon, Westergard said, gave the company the capacity to move up and down, allowing it to photograph people who were standing beneath trees in addition to taking photos from high above. 

"We took a lot of shots under the trees and higher up by just changing the balloon altitude," he said. "So what might have been a negative with an airplane and certainly a negative with a satellite was a very strong position with a balloon."

Though there was restricted airspace on the south side of the reflecting pool, airspace was not restricted where the crowd was gathered, allowing the company to position the balloon in "the very center of the crowd - dead in the middle of it," Westergard said. 

The photos were taken at noon, which Beck's representatives suggested would be the peak of the event, which ran from 10 AM to slightly after 1 PM. Taking the pictures then meant counting both those who were late to the event because of subway or traffic delays and those who left early to avoid the crowds afterward. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20015214-503544.... ;cbsCarousel

(Credit: AirPhotosLive.com) 

Link to 400 Photos Air Photos Live Took: http://photosynth.net/view.aspx?cid=20e143f6-2e3c-43ce-... 

Wow - checking out the photos & being able to zoom they were even more spread out than I thought. No way in hell they had even 100,000 IMHO. Send this out to your Beck family & friends. 

I encourage all of you to check out the photo & the zoom, pan, etc. You can see the entire crowd and almost zoom in to see their white faces.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
40isfun
by Christi on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I'm a native Washingtonian and that's a light crowd compared to some I've seen.  I've been down there for quite a few inaugurations and we go to the kite festival every year.  Then there's the Black family reunion, etc.  It's wall to wall people i some of those events.  That crowd is light.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:30 PM

LOL.  Are we really debating/discussing how many people were in attendance? Seriously, who cares.

40isfun
by Christi on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:42 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

LOL.  Are we really debating/discussing how many people were in attendance? Seriously, who cares.

There are lots of subject posted in here that I don't care about.  I just don't respond.  I think it's pointless to go into a subject and say you don't care.

I see you...

40isfun
by Christi on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:43 PM

Oh, and also, I think it matters because it shows that only a small number of people are being misled.  It would have been really scary and disappointing if the crowd had been large.

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:49 PM

Quoting 40isfun:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

There are lots of subject posted in here that I don't care about.  I just don't respond.  I think it's pointless to go into a subject and say you don't care.

That is how YOU choose to enter a discussion.  I can add plenty to this one by saying it's pretty ridiculous for Anyone to get their panties in a bunch over how many people attended the rally. Oh, and I didn't say I didn't care.  I asked "who cares".  Apparently you do. Why is that? 

Our family will walk for Answers for Autism on September 18th.  This is a yearly event very near and dear to our hearts.  If you would like to support our team via donation please click link and donate to Inspirational Journey(team) under Ryer S.  Thank you

Different, but not less~Temple Grandin

SxyMartini
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:50 PM

Well Beck spent half his show yesterday bitching about the leftist media getting the crowd numbers wrong. thought i'd clarify 4 him....

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:52 PM

Quoting SxyMartini:

Well Beck spent half his show yesterday bitching about the leftist media getting the crowd numbers wrong. thought i'd clarify 4 him....

LOL. Ty Sexy, we can always count on you:)

ETA:Sexy! I never knew you were a closet Beck fan. You actually take the time to watch his show?  I now have a girl crush on you. 

Our family will walk for Answers for Autism on September 18th.  This is a yearly event very near and dear to our hearts.  If you would like to support our team via donation please click link and donate to Inspirational Journey(team) under Ryer S.  Thank you

Different, but not less~Temple Grandin

SxyMartini
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:53 PM

<stands in the back...

fight fight fight fight!

watching tennis

40isfun
by Christi on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:54 PM

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

Quoting 40isfun:

Quoting TruthSeeker.:

That is how YOU choose to enter a discussion.  I can add plenty to this one by saying it's pretty ridiculous for Anyone to get their panties in a bunch over how many people attended the rally. Oh, and I didn't say I didn't care.  I asked "who cares".  Apparently you do. Why is that? 

I already answered why I care.  It's refreshing to be able to actually see how few people are buying into his nonsense.  The media would have us believe that a majority of white people are feeling the way he does.  

I see you...

40isfun
by Christi on Aug. 31, 2010 at 5:55 PM

Quoting SxyMartini:

Pictures don't lie unless he's saying some of the people attending his rally were actually blocks away.

I see you...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)