Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Remembering Back Seat Kids' Games Other Than 'I'm Not Touching You'

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:03 PM
  • 6 Replies

< previous post

Remembering Back Seat Kids' Games Other Than 'I'm Not Touching You'

Categories: Games and Gamers, Nostalgi

Two unhappy-looking girls

While visiting friends recently, I got into a discussion about the long car trips of my youth (Philadelphia to Cincinnati, essentially, which we did most Christmases) and how we somehow managed them without DVD players, which are apparently essential in the modern minivan.

Now, this is nothing against outfitting kids with DVD players; for all I know, this may be a far better way to pass the time than whatever my sister and I did with/to each other. For instance, if my parents had been able to give us matching DVD players, they might have spared themselves a few hundred listens to our mix tape during that cross-country trip in the summer of 1981 - the tape that had "Bette Davis Eyes" and "Jessie's Girl" and "The Waiting" and "Modern Girl" and "Watching The Wheels."

(Pause for all of you to appreciate the fact that my parents listened to "Modern Girl" for a whole summer.) (Heroes, I tell you.)

But for the most part, our pastimes were pretty low-tech. I know we tracked license plates, and we definitely played various versions of "a cow is worth one point" animal-spotting. We read books, and we did puzzles, and I think reading aloud happened sometimes (though that was more of a nighttime activity - I've disclosed before that we read "Leiningen Versus The Ants" one night during that trip, and it freaked me right out). I'm sure there was also, you know, fighting. YOU'RE ON MY SIDE! was undoubtedly heard.

It made me curious about what everybody else did in the car, or what everybody else's kids do or did in the car, that doesn't involve much in the way of technology.

So I open the question to you: what's the best, worst, or most memorable low-tech entertainment you know for the back seat of a car trip?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MzGreco
by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:06 PM

Slug Bug, we were not alloweed to hit eachother though... 

We chose a color or make of car and who counted the most won. 

We read the green miles to... signs and predicted who would get the number right.

bupkie
by Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:10 PM

What's the WORST?  Being trapped in a car... while your father.... passes gas and refuses to open the windows!  While you are car sick, and stuck in the middle seat between your older sister and younger brother.... and it's hot.... and every time THEY elbow YOU, YOU GET IN TROUBLE.....    And you have to listen to the damn 8-track player.... omg!  Is that Olivia Newton John?  The Bee Gees?  Oh, noooo!   IT's older than that.... good god.... "Cecelia You're breakin my heart....."  And father thinks he can sing......     Look out the windows.... Watch the trees go by.... tree watching....  yep...  thrillsville... 

Oh, I'm sorry.....  Ick,  horrible flashback.....  You were saying?   Cards... try playing go-fish....  

DivingDiva
by Gold Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:10 PM

"I spy" is good, but I personally like the tech.  This summer on our road trip we listened to Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone as read by Stephen Fry.  You can't get much cooler than that. 

Even when I was a kid we listened to a lot of tapes.  "The Jungle Book" and "Just So Stories" were among our favorites. 

"I'm not touching you" is significantly less amusing when one is driving a car. 

TTWWBB
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 8:37 PM
We played a game called Road Kill. Whenever road kill was spotted whoever saw it first would yell out "Road Kill!" and punch whoever was sitting next to us in the leg. If it ended up being non road kill the punchee got to revenge with two hits back. It's a great game...I still play it with my husband. Just to note, tvs and dvds will never be allowed in our vehicles.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sneffy014
by Bronze Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:23 PM

Growing up we did the license plate game. My husband and I still do that with our 13 year old on road trips. We also used to do "Mad Libs" as kids while on trips. Also, riding in the backseat, my brothers and I would try to get the truckers to "toot" the horns on their Semi's. Whoever got the most "toots" was the winner.

tbache
by Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:27 PM

We played the Alphabet game where you had to race to find the next letter in the alphabet from signs and billboards or the license plate game, where you find each or as many states as you can, and claim it before your opponent!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)