Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Juror posts 'guilty' on Facebook before trial ends

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:40 PM
  • 7 Replies

Juror posts 'guilty' on Facebook before trial ends

August 30, 2010 4:43 PM

MOUNT CLEMENS, Mich. (AP) -- A judge removed a juror from a trial in suburban Detroit after the young woman wrote on Facebook that the defendant was guilty. The problem? The trial wasn't over. Hadley Jons, of Warren just north of Detroit, could be found in contempt when she returns to the Macomb County circuit court Thursday.

Jons, 20, was a juror in a case of resisting arrest. On Aug. 11, a day off from the trial and before the prosecution finished its case, she wrote on Facebook that it was "gonna be fun to tell the defendant they're guilty."

The post was discovered by defense lawyer Saleema Sheikh's son. Circuit Judge Diane Druzinski confronted Jons the next day and replaced her with an alternate.

"You don't know how disturbing this is," Druzinski said, according to The Macomb Daily. A message seeking comment was left for Jons on Monday.

"I would like to see her get some jail time, nothing major, a few hours or overnight," Sheikh said. "This is the jury system. People need to know how important it is." Sheikh's son, Jaxon Goodman, discovered the comment while checking jurors' names on the Internet. He works in his mother's law office.

"I'm really proud of him," Sheikh said. Without Jons, the jury convicted Sheikh's client of a felony but couldn't agree on a separate misdemeanor charge.

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 10:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
pjs111
by Bronze Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 10:39 AM

Should get some jail time. What an idiot!!

Aasiyah
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 10:42 AM

i think she was probably being a stupid young person .. nothing more.. but i do think that jurors should actually be a bit more mature ... maybe that is why i think that

miss146mn
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 10:44 AM

Apparently someone didn't understand the jury instructions. I know I shouldn't be shocked that she was that stupid....

SRiveroC

Well studies have revealed that most jurors have made up their mind about guilt or innocence by the end of opening arguments. What does that say about the way we pre-judge people?

Aasiyah

completely off topic but..... saleema shiekh. sounds like a muslim name. wonder if she is muslim. who knew muslim women lawyers.. hahaha

Aasiyah
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 10:46 AM

i have  a 21 year old and a 19 year old.. and if they were called for juror duty i would go to the court myself and tell them they were tottaly unfit. they are just immature and find everything funny and have poor judgment.

KellyMarie105
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:11 PM

It's common sense not to blab the verdict before the case is dismissed. When I read the title of this I figured the juror was young but then I saw her age and it made sense. 20 is far too young to be on a jury, IMO. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)