Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

boys and bathrooms

Posted by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:44 PM
  • 12 Replies

when i am in public place with my 5 yr old and i know the mens bathroom has 2 or more stalls, i take him in with me in the womens bathroom. the last couple times tho, he has shown considerable embarasement and has to be coersed by me or a careing bystander that its ok to go into the womens bathroom. once he ran into the mens bathroom before i could grab him. i stood by the door like a big angry hairy mother and stated make it speedy or im comeing in. he was out in less than 30 sec., but i was prepared to enter. in this dangerous time, im not prepared yet to change my stance, but out of curiosity, how old were your boys when you let them go alone in the mens room?

by on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bibdybobdyboob
by Member on Aug. 31, 2010 at 11:47 PM

My son is 7 and the only time he goes in the men's room is if I have checked to make sure it is completely empty first.  And then I stand outside the door.

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 12:15 AM

My son has been going into restrooms by himself since he was about 4 1/2.  He's almost 6 now.

gsmom9
by Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:03 AM

you hear so many horror storys, but on the other hand i know he needs to be a guy, and do guy things. id hate to warp him, but a seasoned pediphile can do alot of damage quickly in a bathroom. even if i check the stalls.. which might freak a few fellas out... some guy could walk in after. at some point tho i need to let him do his thing.

jessilin0113
by Ruby Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:06 AM

Just make sure you teach him about appropriate touching and what to do if anybody he doesn't know or trust comes near him.  I honestly don't think anybody could do anything in the couple of minutes it takes to pee, it's statistically extremely unlikely to happen, but he can't pee with me forever, and I refuse to live my life as if there is a pedophile lurking around every corner.  The more freedom (within reason) my son gets, the more empowered and confident he becomes, and able to deal with "stranger danger".

Quoting gsmom9:

you hear so many horror storys, but on the other hand i know he needs to be a guy, and do guy things. id hate to warp him, but a seasoned pediphile can do alot of damage quickly in a bathroom. even if i check the stalls.. which might freak a few fellas out... some guy could walk in after. at some point tho i need to let him do his thing.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:38 AM

I don't live that far from the movie theater where Wesley Allen Dodd tried to kidnap that little boy out of the bathroom.  So...yeah...I'm not sure when my son will be allowed in the men's room by himself.

FreeSpriT4eva
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:47 AM
I don't even let my 15 yr old go by himself any more..he is a lil behind for his age but I sent him an his 5 yr to the bathroom back in June they go into the bathroom in the local mall..they were in for quite a while so I calls his phone to see what was taking so long..he comes out an says there was a black man an a white man in the handicap stalls f^^king..they couldn't use the bathroom cause it was too many guys standing round listening an laughing at the white guy groaning an black guy grunting...I was so discusseded I tried to find security an they were no where to b found I told my 15 I would have to stand out side the door for now on..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
marissaj125
by Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:51 AM

No, too young. Too many things can happen. Bad people wait for opportunities like that. If i had a young boy that age i would keep him with untill age 6-7 or try to find family friendly stalls or single bathrooms. Idk, never had that problem but i am a very paranoid mom. LOL.

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 1, 2010 at 1:57 AM

WTF??!!  Are you serious??!!  This was at the mall??!!

Quoting FreeSpriT4eva:

I don't even let my 15 yr old go by himself any more..he is a lil behind for his age but I sent him an his 5 yr to the bathroom back in June they go into the bathroom in the local mall..they were in for quite a while so I calls his phone to see what was taking so long..he comes out an says there was a black man an a white man in the handicap stalls f^^king..they couldn't use the bathroom cause it was too many guys standing round listening an laughing at the white guy groaning an black guy grunting...I was so discusseded I tried to find security an they were no where to b found I told my 15 I would have to stand out side the door for now on..

FreeSpriT4eva
by on Sep. 1, 2010 at 2:44 AM
P.G. Plaza in Maryland..an yes I'm serious..my boys were 4&14 @ the time..my oldest is by doc standards on a 11 yr age level an small for his age so he kind of wondered what was everyone standing around for..after 8-9 min of waiting I got worried..I had my 2 girls in the truck so I didn't want to drag them out or leave in the truck cause of car jacking..but my 4 had too many questions afterwards...I was so mad I could've waited beat the H&&L out of them when they came out...

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom:

WTF??!!  Are you serious??!!  This was at the mall??!!

Quoting FreeSpriT4eva:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
1Giovanni
by Becca on Sep. 1, 2010 at 3:28 AM

I started let my son go into the men's bathroom at about 7. I made sure all of the guys where gone, Then stood at the door with the door open. IF any guys came to the bathroom, I would tell them they can wait or go on in but i am going to stand here watching until my son comes out. Most of the time the men was understanding and waiting until my son came out. My 6 yr old still goes in with me or he goes in with his 17 yr. old brother if he is with us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)