Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

‘Sister Wives' family under investigation following TV debut

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:09 AM
  • 13 Replies

sister_wives.jpg

‘Sister Wives' family under investigation following TV debut
September 27th, 2010 @ 7:15pm
By Dennis Romboy

(Photo credit: TLC)

LEHI -- A polygamous Lehi family featured on a new TV series that debuted Sunday night has drawn the attention of local police.

Kody Brown and his wives are the subject of a TLC program called "Sister Wives." In a statement released Monday, Lehi police said they are now investigating the family for bigamy, a third-degree felony.

"At the conclusion of the investigation, the evidence will be forwarded to the Utah County Attorney's Office for review and possible prosecution," according to Lehi Police Lt. Darren Paul.

TLC spokeswoman Laurie Goldberg had no comment Monday night on the investigation.

Producers of the show apparently feared the Browns could come under legal scrutiny. They contacted the Utah Attorney General's Office months before airing the program.

"They called us and said, ‘Hey, are you going to shut us down?'" said Scott Troxel, spokesman for the attorney general.

"Sister Wives" premiered Sunday night with an hourlong special, the first installment of a seven-part "docu-series" about Brown and his three (soon-to-be four) wives -- Meri, Janelle and Christine -- and their 13 children. The series began with Brown announcing plans to take on another wife, Robyn, and her three children.

A TLC news release describes the show this way: "From their unconventional family structure and living arrangements to financial challenges, each half-hour episode exposes the inner workings of a polygamist household, revealing the unexpectedly tight-knit and loving relationships between Kody's wives." Also, the show "captures the intense dynamics surrounding a man juggling three wives while attempting to keep it a secret from the outside world."

Troxel said the Utah Attorney General's Office doesn't have the resources to go after polygamists unless it suspects crimes such as child abuse or child trafficking.

"Right now, it's not in our hands, but we're not closing the door," he said.

The Utah County Attorney's Office became aware of "Sister Wives" after receiving several phone calls Monday, said Tim Taylor, chief deputy county attorney.

"Obviously, we can't do anything until we get a case," he said before Lehi issued its statement announcing an investigation. "We haven't seen anything. I don't know if we will see anything."

Taylor said the county occasionally prosecutes people under its bigamy statute, though not necessarily polygamists.

"We'll take a look at any case that comes into our office to see if it has merit," he said.

In 2001, one of Utah's most high-profile polygamists, Tom Green, was convicted in Provo's 4th District Court of bigamy and failure to pay child support. He also was later found guilty of child rape.

Prior to his convictions, Green and his family talked openly about their lifestyle on international and national TV programs, including "The Jerry Springer Show," "Dateline" and "Judge Judy." Prosecutors said they didn't start investigating Green until seeing him on TV.

E-mail: romboy@desnews.com

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=12603468

They live here in Utah (Provo area). So I know we had a post about this about a week ago....Thought I would give ya'll an update :P

Next time you think all Muslims are evil, murderous, war craving lunatics, Remember these faces.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:10 AM

You're back, Ammu!  Good to see you!

Interesting subject. 

AmmuJSE
by Ammu on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:12 AM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Interesting subject. 

HEY POODLES!!!! How ya doing? 

And I'm here for about 20 minutes tonight :) catch me while you can!!

Next time you think all Muslims are evil, murderous, war craving lunatics, Remember these faces.

clovismommy25
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:13 AM

while I personally could never live like this, they have NO right to investigate them! And saying things like "Unless child abuse or trafficking" WTF, really? What is wrong with this world? Jsut because he has several wives, doesn't mean he is abusing his children! This is supposed to be a free country, WTH happened to that?

AmmuJSE
by Ammu on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:25 AM

Quoting clovismommy25:

while I personally could never live like this, they have NO right to investigate them! And saying things like "Unless child abuse or trafficking" WTF, really? What is wrong with this world? Jsut because he has several wives, doesn't mean he is abusing his children! This is supposed to be a free country, WTH happened to that?

erm, maybe the fact that polygamy is against the law???

and we live in Utah, so land of supposed sisterwvies....(well southern utah it's true). 

toomanypoodles
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:26 AM

Quoting AmmuJSE:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Interesting subject. 

I know, I know--the boy's up at the crack of dawn now!  ;)

TTWWBB
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:30 AM
Never understood why polygamy is against the law (if it's between willing adults).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Leigh519121
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:32 AM

I don't see anything wrong with it at all. They seem like a perfectly "normal" family and the kids are well adjusted.

clovismommy25
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Quoting AmmuJSE:

Quoting clovismommy25:

erm, maybe the fact that polygamy is against the law???

and we live in Utah, so land of supposed sisterwvies....(well southern utah it's true). 

That is my point, it shouldn't be against the law. That whole line about us being a free country, way back when we were founded, is proving everyday to be less and less true. We move past one thing and another comes up. It is LONG over due for us to live up to the FREE part! For marriage for heterosexual or homosexual, to marry one or a hundred, it isn't for us to say. For religion, which some will argue we already have, but this isn't true, how many times are you bashed for your faith? And myself for mine?

AmmuJSE
by Ammu on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:32 AM

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Quoting AmmuJSE:

Quoting toomanypoodles:

Interesting subject. 

I know, I know--the boy's up at the crack of dawn now!  ;)

LOL anything before 9am is the crack of dawn for me. 

I'VE NEVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRR BEEN A MORNING PERSON. not even with 3 cups of coffee. I'm still pissy till noon., 

Allergic2Stupid
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 12:35 AM

This is a surprise to people?  It gets them FREE PUBLICITY...duh!  Who cares how many wives this guy has.  They should have investigated a few other "reality tv" families before bugging these folks.  Geezus.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)