Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

HOME: Treatment or Abuse? *edited with info about HOME

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:59 AM
  • 9 Replies

Friday I had to make the much dreaded trip to the dentist office.  So for me this is a current event and hot topic.  As a child, I had a dentist who practiced HOME.... I now have severe anxiety related to dentists... sky rocketing blood pressure, crying before I get to the chair, etc... Many people may not even know about HOME.  Educate yourself and do not allow anyone to practice this method on YOUR child.

http://www.dentistuncle.com/handovermouth.html

And I am in the upper 30 something crowd.  This was a common practice in the 70's.  Anyone else experience this? 

The technique can be summarized as:
  The child is placed firmly on the dental chair as the dentist becomes seated on the stool.
  • If the child strikes out or flails about, both the chair side dental assistant and the dentist may restrain the patient. The child is restrained to prevent self-harm, to protect the dental staff and also to avoid damage to the dental equipment.
  • If the child continues the physical resistance, screaming or crying little communication is taking place. The dentist then places the hand over the child’s mouth to stifle the noise .At the same time, in close proximity to the patient the dentist says calmly but firmly.
  • Once the patient discontinues resistance, the dentist should remove the hand and reinforced the improved behavior.
  • If a child resumes the unacceptable behavior when the hand is removed; another attempt or two may be made to modify the behavior by again placing the hand over the mouth to stifle the noise and establish communication.

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 7:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:27 AM

i've never heard of it. i love the dentist. take a xanax before you go. 

katy_kay
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:40 AM

No, my childhood dentist practiced the "if you cry I'll spank you and give you something to cry about" therapy.  

I also dread the dentist and there is no way I would let anyone threaten my child or do the HOME method on them.  They do not need to have the same fears I do.  

CatRose15
by Cat on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:40 AM

Never - but if anyone tries that with my kid things will not go well for them. 

Most dentists are not like this - most of them are really nice.  I hate going to the dentist also, but I love how my teeth feel after they are cleaned so I just go early in the morning and get it over with. 

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:43 AM

My dentist went one step further and held my nose shut preventing me from breathing.  I was told to raise my hand when I was ready to stop crying and breathe. 

rotPferd
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:43 AM

Never heard of it but I did have a dentist threaten to put my youngest in one of those strap down body wraps when she was much younger cuz she kept pushing his hands away from her mouth. Never went back to him again. 

katy_kay
by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:46 AM

Did your parents know that she was doing this?  I never told my parents about my dentist threatening to hit me until I was much older.  They just thought I was being difficult because I would do all I could to avoid going back to see him.  

Quoting ThatTXMom:

My dentist went one step further and held my nose shut preventing me from breathing.  I was told to raise my hand when I was ready to stop crying and breathe. 

ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:47 AM

Quoting katy_kay:

No, my childhood dentist practiced the "if you cry I'll spank you and give you something to cry about" therapy.  

I also dread the dentist and there is no way I would let anyone threaten my child or do the HOME method on them.  They do not need to have the same fears I do.  

I have been fortunate to find a pediatric dentist who is amazing.  My children don't mind a trip to the dentist one bit.  I sought out a dentist who WOULD ALLOW me to go back with them.  My childhood dentist would not allow Momma to come back with me and she could not believe my outlandish tale of not being allowed to breathe.  *sigh*

SEEKEROFSHELLS
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:48 AM
Never went through that but as an experienced mom of 4 kids, I would say dentists that practice that have scars on their hands from being bit. Well deserved scars from the little blighters!
ThatTXMom
by Platinum Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 8:50 AM

Quoting SEEKEROFSHELLS:

Never went through that but as an experienced mom of 4 kids, I would say dentists that practice that have scars on their hands from being bit. Well deserved scars from the little blighters!

I was 8 when I finally kicked my dentist in the balls. Darn my luck, he refused to treat me after that. My mother was embarrassed.  I didn't give a damn.

Oh, and my dentist was smart enough to use one of those rubber "stopper" things that held my mouth open so I couldn't bite him... or I would have. He only took it out to cover my mouth.  I wish I knew his name... I would be pressing charges or something.  Evil excuse for a man.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)