Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you the only one whose choices dictate what kind of a life you will have?

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:25 AM
  • 5 Replies

I would submit that the choices are not the same for everybody and that many people are born into situations in which the choices of others will have a negative impact on their lives.

So is it really true that anybody can rise against anything if they themselves make the proper choices?

How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young,  compassionate with aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong, because sometime in life you will have been one or all of these.  George Washngton Carver

by on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Gretchen2876
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:31 AM

If they choose to. However, depending on the circumstances, taking that mental leap is the hardest thing to overcome. Fear is a really big factor in just staying where you are.

CatRose15
by Cat on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:31 AM

I think personal choice plays a large role in where you end up in life.  But I think some of it depends on how motivated someone is and if they have someone rooting for them.  I think everyone needs at least one person who is rooting for them and who believes they can improve their life. 

Avrille
by New Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:50 AM

yes and no. sometimes things happen that a human is just powerless against. like, natural disasters... or outbreaks of deadly diseases... things beyond our control... 

Ginawith5kids
by Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 9:57 AM
Absolutely not. Your parents' choices make a huge impact on who you are. You are free to make better choices yourself later, but how you grew up is still influencing who you are. For example, maybe you were raped and now you overcame the pain and help other victims.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
getting_by_ok
by Bronze Member on Sep. 28, 2010 at 10:02 AM

Well, things happen to people, but it is really a will to thrive that will get us through. Everyone has choices that will drive the direction their lives take, but some obstacles are very hard to overcome. For instance, it is easier to make the choice to become educated at a better college if one has the means in place to attend the college- it doesn't mean someone who has been poor their entire life and has no support from home can't do it., but they have had to overcome much larger obstacles in order to do it. 

However, I do believe that anyone CAN do about anything if they are willing to work hard enough to do it. Some people have the moxie it takes to really fight through, and some people do not.   The will to succeed in life doesn't depend on how many times you get knocked down, but how many times you get up. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)